Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Green Carpet
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

I suppose there's just nothing out there Sad

So if you going to buy a carpet - by them all - not just the front carpet.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

There is not. But you do know that $ makes anything you want, right? Including small batches of carpet. Wink

So dig deep in the wish vault and see if dreams really come true or if you just need to settle on second best. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
There is not. But you do know that $ makes anything you want, right? Including small batches of carpet. Wink

So dig deep in the wish vault and see if dreams really come true or if you just need to settle on second best. Laughing

I guess it all depends how far I need to dig Wink

I'm green to this upholstery lark. Where would I go to get something matched and made? I'm guessing that a good auto upholstery place will still have a limited supply of carpet to choose from..
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I guess it all depends how far I need to dig Wink

I'm green to this upholstery lark. Where would I go to get something matched and made? I'm guessing that a good auto upholstery place will still have a limited supply of carpet to choose from..

The internet is your friend Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

[quote="notchboy"][quote="tommu"]
notchboy wrote:

The internet is your friend Wink

My credit card doesn't agree. Smile
DoublePlusGood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm restoring my 74 Campmobile. Thank you Jason for the excellent information.
I've decided to order carpet from stockinteriors.com. Two of their samples are close enough. I haven't decided on which yet. The lighter one is close to the sun bleached areas. OTOH the darker one is closer to the unexposed areas.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

Six of one. Half dozen the other. 95% of he assholes that look at your bus at a show - wont know the difference. So are you willing to put up with the 5%?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

Based on those two photos, the lighter one is more accurate IMHO. But who is really going to notice at a show?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

I think I'd go with the darker color. It will lighten a little over time. And it won't show grease stains as much from dropping KFC wings on it. Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, DoublePlusGood. That stock interiors green is gonna be great. I just got a sample this week. They sent all four greens but #514 Moss Green is the best for a sage bus, IMO. I have a '79 Westy and can't wait to clean it up inside. Been holding off on the carpet forever because I didn't want black. Yay!

Kyle
Los Angeles
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

The only way we are going to get this "right" is to contract with a carpet manufacturer to reproduce some based on a pristine sample.

I have a green rear '74 Westy carpet that is worn and faded where it was exposed, but has a beautiful clean pristine patch where the rear-facing seat used to be. This could be used as a pattern.

I'm not in the market for this anymore, but would be willing to send this piece to a carpet manufacturer if anyone cares to line that up.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstimm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

72westie wrote:
Thanks for the tip, DoublePlusGood. That stock interiors green is gonna be great. I just got a sample this week. They sent all four greens but #514 Moss Green is the best for a sage bus, IMO. I have a '79 Westy and can't wait to clean it up inside. Been holding off on the carpet forever because I didn't want black. Yay!

Kyle
Los Angeles

Did you end up receiving this carpet? Do you have a picture. I would like to buy a replacement for my green carpet as well.

Thanks!
jackadanos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

I found some carpet at Home Depot that's pretty close to the original. It's not exact, but no one knows the difference if you replace it all. It's outdoor carpet so it should hold up pretty well. It's called Burana Silver Pine.
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

jackadanos wrote:
I found some carpet at Home Depot that's pretty close to the original. It's not exact, but no one knows the difference if you replace it all. It's outdoor carpet so it should hold up pretty well. It's called Burana Silver Pine.

Nice man! How much did you pay/yard. Do you have any pictures of your end result?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

I painted my carpet with a little green, a little brown, a dash of yellow for that "forest floor dapple" effect where the previous owner had a bleach spill:

10/15

1/16

10/18

I am dabbing little yellow spritzes onto a paper towel soaked with acetone to get rid of the "blued-out" area near the cabinets. It all looks like hell but it is original.

Front floor still looks good:

Last edited by Amskeptic on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

Collin,

Back when I used to clean carpets for a living we used two type of dye applique to fix the most common carpet fault - bleach spots.

I particularly like the "crayon" type for smaller spots.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Fabric-Pastel-Sticks...&psc=1

For larger areas, we used these.

http://americolordyes.com/carpet-dye-pens/

The crayons can be wiped away before setting in with hot water on a rag if you dont like the color. The pens come with an eraser fluid to use before setting. These both can be mixed to gain the color you need.

These will help blend the spot tremendously.

Good luck!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Collin,

Back when I used to clean carpets for a living we used two type of dye applique to fix the most common carpet fault - bleach spots.

I particularly like the "crayon" type for smaller spots.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Fabric-Pastel-Sticks...&psc=1

For larger areas, we used these.

http://americolordyes.com/carpet-dye-pens/

The crayons can be wiped away before setting in with hot water on a rag if you dont like the color. The pens come with an eraser fluid to use before setting. These both can be mixed to gain the color you need.

These will help blend the spot tremendously.

Good luck!

Thank-you! Time to step up my game!
Colin
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

jackadanos wrote:

I ordered 8 ft by 12 ft of the Burana Silver Pine at Home Depot, looks close enough to me based on the in store samples
Should get it in a week or two will post up pics once I get it home and after installation in the bus.

Just a regular guy
Becklerwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

One cant get a new green carpet kit from CIP or bus depot?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Green Carpet Reply with quote

Becklerwesty wrote:
One cant get a new green carpet kit from CIP or bus depot?

You sure can. Stock unfaded OG carpet on the top. Reproduction on the bottom.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: