Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

converting back seat to bed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what it is ! i just need those measurements than i can figure out the rest. not that complicated. i do this kinda stuff for a living. this is for my bus. just trying to save a bunch of time.
TheRealMacGyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
demon1018 wrote:
ok these are what i need . i think i can wing the rest! anybody have one they can make some quick measurements?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

im a much better fabricator than using a comp to draw stuff!

it is much more sophisticated than that.

Having trouble understanding that last pic, wouldn't the seat be higher? Or is it just the bottom half raised to the cargo deck height and the upper seatback is left off? Just curious. BTW your bus looks amazing.
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the last pi the bottom seat is pulled out and up level with the rear deck... he has the middle seat in there as well so it seems a bit confusing. the back of the rear seat fills the space between the rear deck and the bottom of the rear seat
TheRealMacGyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demon1018 wrote:
in the last pi the bottom seat is pulled out and up level with the rear deck... he has the middle seat in there as well so it seems a bit confusing. the back of the rear seat fills the space between the rear deck and the bottom of the rear seat

Thanks, it just looked weird. If I come across any of those other brackets, I'll get some dimensions for ya.
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind Meld time. The middle seat will need to move forward a little bit to use the bed.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demon1018 wrote:
i do this kinda stuff for a living.

Really? Could have fooled me. If you did that for a living you'd have completed it by now without drawings from us - in fact these things have been around in two or three styles since the early 1970's so in 45 years someone who works on buses should have seen them many times over regardless of their age - 20 or 70.
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
demon1018 wrote:
i do this kinda stuff for a living.

Really? Could have fooled me. If you did that for a living you'd have completed it by now without drawings from us - in fact these things have been around in two or three styles since the early 1970's so in 45 years someone who works on buses should have seen them many times over regardless of their age - 20 or 70.

Didnt some one ever tell you " if you dont have something nice to say, dont say it. " im a fabrcator. I own a shop that builds very nice drag cars, street rods, jeeps, etc... i built crazy chassis, suspensions, turbo stuff etc. Demon Motorsports. You can find some pics on facebook and pics of my bus suspension i built on here. I dont build vw buses everyday! I have never seen those hinges .well mabey at a show but i wasnt there with my tape measure asking if i could get some measurements! In fact i just thought about doing this the day i posted this. I can build them from scratch. No prob. And they will be better for sure. Thats what i do! If i had those measurements it would take alot of guesswork out and save time! Take a look at what ive built before you question my skills. Thanks for nothing
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Demon,
The kit Del Mar sells is super expensive. Make up a good set that works and then start producing them. I'll bet you could easily beat Del Mars price. People would beat a path to your door.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRealMacGyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demon1018 wrote:

Didnt some one ever tell you " if you dont have something nice to say, dont say it. "

It's the Samba way! That is exactly the kind of thing that turns me off from this site over and over. If it wasn't for the handful of decent people on here I wouldn't even waste my time.

I have my eyes on the lookout for some brackets for you.
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: converting back seat to bed Reply with quote

Question Have you gotten the info on size, length, etc., for the mounts? I too would like to build a set for my bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: converting back seat to bed Reply with quote

No man... I sent you a message. I built some just guessing and it worked ok but the pivot points need to be spot on really and I didn't spend to much time. Ended up putting the park bench back in cause I liked it better anyway. Sorry
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: converting back seat to bed Reply with quote

Wink O.K., thanks, I'll be going up to the winterfest, NL next weekend and will look around for a set. Thanks.
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMacGyver wrote:
demon1018 wrote:

Didnt some one ever tell you " if you dont have something nice to say, dont say it. "

It's the Samba way! That is exactly the kind of thing that turns me off from this site over and over. If it wasn't for the handful of decent people on here I wouldn't even waste my time.

Sad but true... ironic considering it's kinda supposed to be the "hippie bus"

Good luck fabricating your brackets. Keep us up to date. I'm interested in your project.

Matt
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMacGyver wrote:
demon1018 wrote:

Sad but true... ironic considering it's kinda supposed to be the "hippie bus"

Good luck fabricating your brackets. Keep us up to date. I'm interested in your project.

Matt
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: converting back seat to bed Reply with quote

Installed original Z-bed hardware into my dad's 79 7-passenger bus, which was already missing the middle seat.
I actually like what SGKent did with the uniform cushion, with the rear bench seat folded out using the Z-bed hardware, the bench doesn't lie completely flat, plus the separation between the bench seat and the rear hatch area, I like the idea of having one solid foam "mattress" section to replicate more of a bed. I also think the old man will ponder this idea more once he can't sleep for shit, with a sore back, and crankier than normal, perhaps one day he'll listen to me...
If it were me, if one is after converting a transporter into more of a weekend camper, I'd use the factory Westfalia camping bench equipment, that way you have a nice factory bed, with STORAGE!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: