Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig RG1 install group....anyone? Also RG2 etc!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
scottychop,
My Ultragauge does NOT read oil pressure, it's a future mod I want to add. My research, as I recall, informed me I need an electrical oil gauge, and an adapter to screw in. Share any specific info you get, sorry I'm not more helpful.

yes, we need the ultra tapped into both oil and fuel.

I've been meaning to ask them how we can get a mod in place that will track as levels / use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: air box mod Reply with quote

westylife et al,
I finally got around to moving my Bostig air box to the cool side and here are my contrary thoughts!:
-How you guys fit a 5/8" hose on that box spigot is beyond me! Not close even with a heat gun. I slit the hose twice and used a clamp. Absolutely no way it would stay w/o a tight clamp.
-I took it for a drive and detected NO discernible noise reduction! In fact, I swear it's louder Surprised
Perhaps your snorkel setup was way loud initially?
Oh well, no harm. Really puzzled after reading about opposite results.
scottychop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is pretty loud also. I don't have the resonator on the intake though...
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: air box mod Reply with quote

alnvilma wrote:
westylife et al,
I finally got around to moving my Bostig air box to the cool side and here are my contrary thoughts!:
-How you guys fit a 5/8" hose on that box spigot is beyond me! Not close even with a heat gun. I slit the hose twice and used a clamp. Absolutely no way it would stay w/o a tight clamp.
-I took it for a drive and detected NO discernible noise reduction! In fact, I swear it's louder Surprised
Perhaps your snorkel setup was way loud initially?
Oh well, no harm. Really puzzled after reading about opposite results.

Did you modify the airbox or use an unmodified airbox? Do you have the resonator installed? If you modified your airbox per the Bostig instructions, you may need to source a new airbox (keep the resonator on it); thats what I did.

I used a heat gun to warm that baby up and some good old elbow grease. It wasn't easy, then I used a hose clamp. You may also want to let it sit in some very hot water to soften up the hose.
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the Bostig heat shield today and that thing looks sexy!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westylife wrote:

Have had one on mine for about 4-5 years. Real nice addition, however make sure you coat all the fasteners with a quality anti-seize. Ina year or so all those stainless steel fasteners WILL corrode exposed to the exhaust heat and are a real B**ch to r&r.
Other than that it has held up real good. Here it is after about 35k miles.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: RG-3 air box mod Reply with quote

alnvilma,

I picked up a new airbox with the resonator, and it is quieter. I didn't dare install the old air box with my plastic welding. Too embarrassed at that pile of dung. I used a 5/8 brass hose connector, tapered on both sides, to attach the hose, and jammed it into the airbox connection. Wanted something solid. The 5/8ID hose should fit over things without a problem.

I don't know if the snorkel caused more noise, I'd suspect the long black hose first.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
westylife wrote:

Have had one on mine for about 4-5 years. Real nice addition, however make sure you coat all the fasteners with a quality anti-seize. Ina year or so all those stainless steel fasteners WILL corrode exposed to the exhaust heat and are a real B**ch to r&r.
Other than that it has held up real good. Here it is after about 35k miles.

Damn that is a friggin nice looking engine. Damn that is just perfect.

BTW - Stainless fasteners are probably not corroding, but they will gall when trying to remove or replace and then they seize up (really hard to drill out too). Use a good hi temp anti seize (copper type is good), or replace them with zinc plated steel fasteners.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westylife & JudoJeff,
I bought a new/used air box, cut off the feet. It has the resonator.
Another drive today with same results: zero change in decibels.
Hey westylife, with your heat shield and new wheels, you're getting half serious there! Very Happy
I was about to pop for the Gowesty 15" set but now you have me wondering about the garage!
I thought their wheel packages like yours, were near as can be to original diameter! I wonder why yours now sits higher?
I have the Contour oil pan on my Zetec and prefer any ground clearance I can muster w/o the HC pan upgrade.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Bostig enthusiasts,

Some followup thoughts on automatic transmissions and the Bostig conversion:

Following my initial install, my previously sealed transmission began to leak ATF at the torque converter seal. Long story short, it actually turns out I had a cracked torque converter, possibly due to too little end play. I replaced the torque converter and replaced the seals, and everything was fine. That was back in May. The new torque converter came from Van Cafe, but was made by Precision of New Hampton and was painted blue:

http://www.gopnh.com/Transmissions.cfm?Transmission_id_cat=010

I started to notice another ATF leak at the bell housing (torque converter seal again) in August. A long trip on a hot day (100 degrees) up a mountain resulted in a sudden, dramatic dumping of ATF when we stopped to cool off.

Note that I am running the GoWesty automatic transmission cooler. It's a good product, and the extra volume of ATF, combined with the cooler's design purpose (passive cooling), give me more confidence in the transmission under heavy loads and higher power inputs from the Zetec. The little ATF thermostat in the cooler lines is working fine--tested with an IR thermometer.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4481&category_id=&category_parent_id=

What I've noticed is that the change in dipstick angle for the automatic transmission in the Bostig conversion is significant enough to consistently give false indication of ATF levels.

The waterboxer AT dipstick position sits at a lower angle, which makes the difference between the two principal ATF level markings on the dipstick much more subtle. At that lower angle, a change in volume must be indicated by a larger distance between the two ATF level markings.

Raise the angle of the dipstick (as shown by the red line in the photo) as the Bostig conversion does and you get a dipstick whose calibration marks are 1) higher than stock, and 2) too far apart to properly express the change in fluid volume at higher temperatures when measured at the new angle.

Therefore, if you were to check the AT fluid level (engine running, warm transmission, on a level surface), filling to the lower mark of the two marks on the dipstick would actually be overfilling.

Remember that in the stock ATF dipstick position, the difference between the two calibration marks is a very small amount of ATF--perhaps eight ounces of ATF, and possibly less.

Raising the dipstick as is done in the Bostig conversion calls for 1) lowering the calibration marks, and 2) narrowing the distance between the low and high calibration marks on the dipstick.

I'm not saying this is a huge problem with the conversion, but in my case (very heavy full Westy, driving in really hot weather) this change in proper ATF level may have led to chronic overfilling in my case, which may have led to blown seals when the transmission was worked to peak load at high temperatures.

My proposed solution is to simply score the dipstick at a lower point to provide a new mark for proper ATF filling.

This all comes to me following my fourth transmission drop on my van, where I pulled the whole transaxle out and resealed it completely (new seals at torque converter, drive flanges, AT pan, differential pan, pinion seal carrier, and trans/diff joint).

This photo shows the simple winch I built to raise and lower the transmission without assistance. The winch itself is mounted on a single 2x4 block that floats in the slot in the larger 2x4 frame. It allows the winch to be moved freely but still provides stability.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016KABFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also note that I checked the vents on the transmission and both are perfectly clear and venting air as needed.

The prior service of the differential used a silicone gasket maker product to seal the pan--that was leaking--so I bought a seal and bedded it in a light film of Permatex Motoseal. That reseal seems to be working now.

Fluid used in the transmission is Mobil 1 ATF and Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil in the differential. There are no shifting problems. I am running a stock governor, but I am giving serious thought to shaving it to raise the shift points a little:

http://my.tbaytel.net/guskers/trans.pdf

One more thing of note--my forward transmission mount had sufficiently loose rubber to lead me to believe that it was not giving the whole transmission enough stability to function properly. I bought a new transmission mount bushing from T3 Technique to solve this problem. That bushing uses their softer yellow poly bushing material, which should give stability but not transfer every harsh noise (trans oil pump sounds) to the body of the van. This service required removing the old bushing rubber, scoring the old bushing metal shell with the aid of a hacksaw and jigsaw, and then chiseling out the old metal shell with a mallet and a cold chisel. For a while I didn't think the old shell was going to come out, but I got it eventually. A wire wheel cleaned up the mount shell, and then the new bushing slipped right in beautifully.

http://www.t3technique.com/suspension-bushings/pow...shing.html

In summary, I hope the net effect of improvements (new bushing, new seals, new ATF calibration marks, open vents, improved ATF cooling) lets me close the book on my automatic transmission + Bostig saga. It has been a good learning experience.

I'll keep you all posted on the recalibrated ATF dipstick project. It's going to take some time to figure out the proper calibration marks, but this may be something for future documentation (and Bostig's support site).

kourt
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alnvilma ,
Sorry to hear that, and I wonder about the "why" of it.

kourt,
Sorry you've had this to deal with, glad you're up to the task at hand. Write it up on the Bostig site for future users.

This thread could be made into a book!
DeanZimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kourt.

I will be replacing my torque converter and seals in the next 2 weeks and having sold my shop crane was wondering how to go about lifting and lowering the transmission. The winch idea is great.

Also great insight into the fluid level readings. I had never thought of that and slapped my forehead when I saw your illustrated picture.

Dean
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more REALLY IMPORTANT thing:

Torque converter seals that have soft sealing surfaces contacting the seal carrier surface are more prone to failure. I suggest buying the GoWesty TC seal which has a press-in metal seal carrier:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=21938&category_id=&category_parent_id=

This seal does make a big difference. Buy this one (or any seal that has a metal ring on its contact surface). The seal from Van Cafe (and a few other places) is rubber throughout, and will be more likely to fail.

The GoWesty seal is Napa part 550237. That is actually a wheel bearing seal.

O'Reilly Auto sells a very good seal as well, National 3051N. Both of these seals have metal outer diameters for a good press fit in the torque converter seal housing.

kourt

Last edited by kourt on Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alnvilma wrote:
westylife & JudoJeff,
I bought a new/used air box, cut off the feet. It has the resonator.
Another drive today with same results: zero change in decibels.
Hey westylife, with your heat shield and new wheels, you're getting half serious there! Very Happy
I was about to pop for the Gowesty 15" set but now you have me wondering about the garage!
I thought their wheel packages like yours, were near as can be to original diameter! I wonder why yours now sits higher?
I have the Contour oil pan on my Zetec and prefer any ground clearance I can muster w/o the HC pan upgrade.

I went full serious last month when I rebuilt my front end Smilehttp://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604528&highlight=front

I had the original shocks and springs so just doing that brought be back to where I was supposed to be and the eNTYREs are taller. It does look taller for sure.

I'm really not sure why you have louder sounds after the modification. I wish I had an answer for you. Best of luck!
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
Anybody do the RG3 airbox location with an older machined throttle body mount? I don't really want to pay what they are asking for the cobra head.

If anybody has the older machined coolant tower, don't forget you can add an aftermarket bleed/fill cap in the high spot. I did this and I suspect Bostig saw it and realized it solved the bleed issue. It works very well and the part is very cheap from Summit.

Hey buildyourown, did you ever get around to moving your airbox to the driver's side? I have a G21 with the machined throttle body mount, and I've considered changing to the newer setup.

Also, could you please give me some more details on your addition of the aftermarket bleed/fill cap? I have the older-style machined coolant tower, and I'd like to do that. However, I can't find the part you recommend from Summit. Also, I'd like to know the exact location where you placed it.

Thanks.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indytriple wrote:

Also, could you please give me some more details on your addition of the aftermarket bleed/fill cap? I have the older-style machined coolant tower, and I'd like to do that. However, I can't find the part you recommend from Summit. Also, I'd like to know the exact location where you placed it.

Indytriple-

Can't speak for buildyourown, but I did this and used Auto Meter Radiator Hose Adapters 2283 (from Summit). I also got a brass plug at the hardware store that fits the Autometer adapter.

More details on my Picasa site: https://picasaweb.google.com/13VelosdeRemi/RadHoseInsulationAndBleeder#

Jed
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jed. That looks great. It's been a bear to get the last little bit of air out of the system. The van runs and stays plenty cool, but it's really hard to get all of the air out. This should remedy the situation without forcing me to switch to the new RG cooling tower on the passenger side firewall. I prefer the look of my G21 setup, and I'd rather not switch.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
sailboat100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: coolant leak Reply with quote

My engine has sprung a leak. Coolant is dripping off the bottom of the crank puuley. I havent had a chance fully investigate. I wondered if anyone has had a similar problem.
Thanks Brian
sailboat100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: coolant leak Reply with quote

My engine has sprung a leak. Coolant is dripping off the bottom of the crank puuley. I havent had a chance fully investigate. I wondered if anyone has had a similar problem.
Thanks Brian
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
I had minor leaks, caused by failed hose clamps. Even if they look OK, add a new SS one, or try tightening the clamps. Just because they turn doesn't mean they are tightening. I doubled up many of the clamps.

Let me know what you find when you dig deeper.
Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 25

Jump to: