Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig RG1 install group....anyone? Also RG2 etc!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so looks like we need the original throttle body kit, I have the bostig throttle body mod, which at first I thought was cool but angles are all wonky with cable etc.
And then just to be clear, there is no tubing run up through pillar or anything, because that was a PIA. Also having just had to replace my starter I would be happy to have that air intake hose out of the way Very Happy
Looks like a real nice improvement. Kudos!
sailboat100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Ultra gauge problem Reply with quote

I just got an ultra gauge and the speedo is not working. The speed sensor looks fine. Anybody got an idea?
Thanks Brian
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say the speedometer on the UltraGauge isn't working, what do you mean? Does it read zero while you are moving? Did the UltraGauge successfully complete its initialization? Through that process it should know it's attached to a Ford and therefore attribute the speed sensor signal correctly.

It won't read speed correctly out of the box--you have to adjust the speedometer by driving a known distance and adjusting the mileage factors in the UltraGauge config pages... just making sure you did this step...

Just to be sure, the speed sensor we are talking about is reading from the sprocketed metal plate sandwiched in the passenger rear axle--yes?

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailboat100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Ultra gauge problem Reply with quote

Thanks kourt, There is no reading when moving. Im fairly sure it initialized properly when I started i. I'm also fairly sure the vss thingy on the cv is set properly.
Thanks again Brian
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you recall, from your Bostig installation, if your VSS signal was reported in your data logs? If that signal is not detected by the ECU your Bostig won't run correctly. Assuming your VSS is fine, this would point the finger at the UltraGauge.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailboat100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: ultra gauge problem Reply with quote

I dont remember if the data log received the signal from the vss. I think it probably did or Jim would have said something. Ill run another and see what happens. Thanks
VanMorrisSon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Oil Pressure Switch ID - Bostig Wiring Reply with quote

Can anyone help me out and identify the oil pressure switch wire in this photo?

thanks - i'm going insane staring at it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VanMorrisSon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Ignition and Field Wire correct? Reply with quote

got another one - there were two blue wires in the box. I'm pretty sure this one is right cause it's the only one with the proper connector. but how bout that black and yellow double ignition wire from the harness?

SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar wire dilemmas myself. Your blue wire looks right and the black looks right. I never found clear instructions about the wiring. After putting a couple trouble tickets into Bostig I finally got it right. I don't think you'll screw anything up if your wire combinations are wrong, the van just won't start is all.
As far as an engine oil level.... they did away with that on my kit rg2.
Do they have oil pressure in newer kits? I added an aftermarket sender that I'll have to run a new wire all the way up to console.
VanMorrisSon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Oil Pressure Switch ID Reply with quote

Thanks for posting back - it's something I'm getting used to - doesn't have to be perfect, it just won't start Smile

From what I've read - and it's all so blurry at this point - the oil pressure switch wire becomes a 'dummy' after the conversion. I assume wiring it keeps it from coming on constantly. Of course, I've been wrong a lot on my assumptions!
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

np. Is the engine cranking? Do you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn key half way on? Fuel pump is noisy enough to hear.
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the picture (2nd up) I see your positive post has the wire going to alternator. Do you also have the other wire from post to starter?
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple shots of mine. Hope it helps
VanMorrisSon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're the bomb. i fear i've made a mess of my wiring. and i think i fried my fuel pump - although i think it's still pumping.

so, i didn't get the sub-harness for the '84 vans that connects to the big white plug on the main harness - see photo. i hacked it and i think that's where i went wrong. HOWEVER, that plug doesn't seem to have anything to do with starting.

when i loaded the tune into the ECU, my fuel pump ran the whole time like crazy. i was afraid to turn off the key mid tune so i just let her run. sounded like normal fuel pump pressuring, but for like a full minute and a half. since then, it kind of sounds sickly. still pressures, but sick.

van won't start. tried the following:
unstuck the injectors with the 9V battery method mentioned on another thread.
set the cam timing.
confirmed and reconfirmed the order of the spark plug wires.
confirmed i get spark.

can the SCT equipment give me any insight if the motor just won't start?

VanMorrisSon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH - duh. so, in hacking the sub harness, i cut into the wires in the white plug - blue/green, yellow/red, blue. i wired the blue/green to the blue/green and the yellow/red to the yellow/red. the blue/black (oil pressure switch) goes to A blue/black wire - not QUITE sure this is the right one. my van did not have it in a nice little yellow connector like it shows in the videos : \ and when i turn the ignition key on with or w/o engine on, the old oil temp gauge sky rockets.

in answer to your question about adding a fuel pressure gauge - i don't think so? but the description under that photo of the sub harness has the oil pressure switch connected.

i wonder about that brown ground in the center of the plug - if i needed to compensate for it. contacting bostig.
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize you had an 84. My wiring was unlike any others that I found. Was frustrating as he'll at the time. Was a great feeling when I got it right finally.

Bostig is great about getting back to you. Open a trouble ticket.

Hope you get it sorted out soon Cool
VanMorrisSon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i worried way too much during this whole process Smile and it's right there in the manual DON'T WORRY.

got her started - had the fuel lines reversed D: kind of embarrassing, but jim reassured me i wasn't the first Smile submitted my first run log and am waiting to hear. sounded good.

thanks for all the input.
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. Congrats !
VanMorrisSon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - had a vacuum leak that the log showed, fixed that. fixed my MIL. ran another log for jim and then didn't hear anything for the rest of the day. the guys are awesome, but they're busy. i hope i can get through and run around the block and get approved tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: