Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig RG1 install group....anyone? Also RG2 etc!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if I can come help, I started a new job and haven't been on much. Jim is good on tickets, if a little bit overloaded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86 Syncro Weekender
When routing the main wiring harness from the cabin does the harness go on the inside or outside the shock tower. Also do the fuel pump wire get cut or coiled , my wire is about 3 feet long (meant for a 2wd),also the terminals are wrong, which is no problem other than it wastes more time.
I spend more time on the computer than working on the van
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
86 Syncro Weekender
When routing the main wiring harness from the cabin does the harness go on the inside or outside the shock tower. Also do the fuel pump wire get cut or coiled , my wire is about 3 feet long (meant for a 2wd),also the terminals are wrong, which is no problem other than it wastes more time.

You really need to get your terminology correct.
Vanagons don't have rear shock towers....you are looking at a spring perch.

Read the manual and watched the videos, all answers are right there.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
86 Syncro Weekender

Please keep your questions in one place.
Like I said in the other post, just coil the extra wire if you are not going to cut. If you cut make sure the connection is perfect.
Not sure what you mean about the terminals being wrong. Mine made a beautiful, sealed connection to the stock fuel pump.

Take the time to READ the manual before you do any work and then again while you work.
Watch the videos. Yes, some of the videos are from earlier versions but they still apply. When you read the manual the difference between the vids and the new system is obvious.

You can PM me if you get really stuck, but please try to figure it out first.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two variations on the fuel pump terminals. I bought a new fuel pump for my install and had to cut off the connectors on the Bostig fuel pump wire and replace with the "ring" style connectors as the new pump has posts instead of spades.

As for the "inside vs. outside" of spring perch question, I can relate to your confusion. In the video at 13:10, Brady or Jim refer to running the main harness wire "behind" the spring perch. The way he is pointing, I kinda of thought he might have meant on the "outside" of the perch. After giving it more thought, I was able to figure out the correct answer based on common sense. The problem for me, was that "common sense" seemed to frequently escape my mind during the process. I certainly could have put many more questions out to the internet, but just stepping back from the problem for a minute would often reveal the answer. I would sometimes get frustrated with the amount of "interpretation" required in the Bostig manual, but in the end, that interpretation really helped me better understand the overall system and empowered me to have more confidence in my own decisions.
Bilstein Shocks
16" Mefros, Cooper Discoverer AT3 (215-70-16)
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversion harnesses are to run in place of the WBX or stock harness, when the owner wants the works under the rear seat.

It makes the most sense to run the Bostig one this way due to its length and where they have branches off the main harness.
Do not bend the new harness into very tight corners, it was not made to do that and wires in general prefer straight shots.

If you have Bostig specific questions, please create a ticket with Jim and have a log of your work.
This will greatly help down the road...IF...you ever have issues.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Which is the "Going " thread on the Bostig stuff. That's the problem it's scattered all over the place, when I said I watched all of the videos, I watched them 2or 3 times including a few Bostig band videos .
Judo Jeff seems to have the newest stuff posted along with his aggravations.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope my name is not being spoken in vain!

Most of my aggravations with a conversion had little to do with Bostig, mostly with my own ineptitude, and inability to see things up close. Try attaching things you can't see, using only "feel".

Bostig did a great job with the instructions, but because there are so many variations, you need a little "Kentucky windage" when you assemble things.

I have no background with Windows and that was my biggest PITA. Not Bostig's fault, others rescued me, though.

My second install has been a breeze, the learning curve is very flat.....
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Jump to:
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: