Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor #1 and #2, the final solution
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Distributor #1 and #2, the final solution Reply with quote

Distributor #1 and #2

I have a '69 camper with a stock engine and a Solex H30/31 PICT carburetor. I use a 205T distributor and have another 205T as a spare. I find it easier to install and set points and replace the condenser on the bench rather than bent over the bumper. I carry the spare distributor with new points and condenser in the vehicle along with tools and other parts. I live in Hawaii and keep the camper in SoCal for winter ski trips and visiting friends.

Last year I replaced the points and condenser in #1 distributor and put about 3000 miles on the vehicle without a problem. This year I took the vehicle out of storage and after a bit of cranking it started, but soon died and would not restart. I suspected bad gas, but it would not start with the pump drawing new fuel from a gas can. The next day it would start, die and not restart. The day after, it would start, die and not restart. I swapped in distributor #2 and it ran with the fuel from the tank. The points in #1 distributor were a tiny bit pitted and I suspected a bad condenser and replaced it with a new condenser.

I just returned from 2000 mile trip using #2 without a problem. I swapped in #1 with its new condenser. The engine started, but soon died and would not restart. The next day the start, die, no start pattern repeated I put #2 back in and it runs fine. WTF

It seems illogical that a condenser would go bad while in storage and sometimes condensers are bad out of the box. But to start, die and not restart and repeat this pattern the next day is bizarre.

I've checked the internet on methods to check condensers and have not been able to identify faults with any of the old condensers. I've been driving with #2 for awhile and today I replaced the condenser in #1 with a bench checked condenser. I swapped #1 back in and the start, die, no start pattern repeated.

After throwing condensers at #1 distributor I decided to replace the points and the engine started and ran without problems. WTF I bench checked the points, open and closed, with an ohmeter and could not identify any problems.

It is raining in SoCal and I have not yet done any extensive test drives with #1 with the new points and bench checked condenser, but I do not anticipate any problems.

How can points go bad while in storage?
Is it an intermittent short at the pivot or elsewhere?
Is it a connection that opens after the initial start?
Are they sticking open after the initial start?
What are the best/proper bench tests for checking condensers and points?

Aloha
tp

Last edited by Tom Powell on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many decades ago I had a set of points that caused problems and just plain couldn't figure out what the deal was. Finally I found that the little contact button had no conductivity with the points arm it was attached to.

So are you also saying that cold points are working but when they heat up they arn't?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Many decades ago I had a set of points that caused problems and just plain couldn't figure out what the deal was. Finally I found that the little contact button had no conductivity with the points arm it was attached to.

So are you also saying that cold points are working but when they heat up they arn't?

Length of start/die was about three seconds. Barely long enough to reach idle speed, probably not long enough for any heat to build up. No restart afterwards, but the start, die, no restart pattern repeated the next day. WTF

I did my ohmeter/continuity check on the arm and not the button. Perhaps the button to arm contact is failing. When I have parts that fail intermittently I take out some of my frustration by smashing them with a twelve pound sledge hammer. I haven't done that yet so I'll give the points another ohmeter check.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extremely marginal continuity between the button and the arm (or the button and the points base) might build a tad of heat in only 3 seconds.

It will be rough finding the cause after you do the sledge trick to it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It well might be what Mike describes or maybe a broken strap on the breaker plate. It could be a sticky advance also. Are you swapping rotor and cap as well or just the distributor itself?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that starting then dying sounds like an intermittent loss of connection or even a shorted wire inside the distributor. those new point crimp-on look pretty cheap too. Could be there. Take it out and your should be able to find the problem with your ohm meter. Could be internally shorted condenser too. I have not been able to find a good source for good condensers so I just keep running the ones from the 70's I have. Even have some old points that don't seem to ever ware out.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
It well might be what Mike describes or maybe a broken strap on the breaker plate. It could be a sticky advance also. Are you swapping rotor and cap as well or just the distributor itself?

A broken strap could be the problem, but I would not expect the start, die, no start pattern to repeat. I would expect no start always. A sticky advance might heal itself overnight resulting in a start the next day and the pattern to repeat.

The cap and wiring are staying in place. The "parts" distributor has a cap that keeps the interior clean when stored. Each distributor has a it's own rotor. Both rotors have been previously used and have been SS brush cleaned on top and sanded clean on the end of the arm. Each distributor is working well since the points replacement in #1. I won't be able to pinpoint the problem until it occurs again, if it does. In the meantime #2 is ready to swap in.

Aloha
tp
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could just be oxidation on the contacts as well, a bit of clean brown paper bag works really well for cleaning them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen points with insufficient lube on the post supporting the movable contact do this. The movable contact drags, and can't close fast enough once the engine spins up. A very thin coat of Super Lube fixes it.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
I've seen points with insufficient lube on the post supporting the movable contact do this. The movable contact drags, and can't close fast enough once the engine spins up. A very thin coat of Super Lube fixes it.

Yes, but with this scenario I would expect it to restart after dieing and then restart and die. The pattern has been to start, die and no restart. The next day the start, die, no start repeats. Something happened while in storage and something else happens in the overnight rest period.

Aloha
tp
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 10 spot you can put new points in it and the condenser is a 5 minute swap. The rotor and cap can of course be swapped between your good dizzy and bad one in seconds.

Someone posted about a new Bosch condenser failing not too long ago. I have given up on Bosch and put them at the bottom of my list of preferred parts.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
For a 10 spot you can put new points in it and the condenser is a 5 minute swap. The rotor and cap can of course be swapped between your good dizzy and bad one in seconds. ...

That's what I have done. New points in #1 and both #1 and #2 are working. #1 is back in the camper, but no extensive test drives because of the rain in SoCal.

Aloha
tp
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are the points that were originally in distributor #1 and had about 3000 miles. The engine ran well and the vehicle was placed in storage. Coming out of storage the engine would start, die and not restart. I suspected a bad condenser and replaced it. That did no solve the start, die, no restart scenario. I installed new points in distributor #1 and the engine runs well. I have not done any extensive road tests yet, but do not anticipate any problems. I have seen worse pitting on points from engines that ran well.

I did ohmeter bench tests, but could not identify any problems statically or when the points were repeatedly opened and closed by hand.

Aloha
tp
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what that testing would have shown when they were not on the bench but still installed and right after they had gone thru the start-die-won't restart routine.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I wonder if you hooked up a light bulb in series and used the points as a switch, then did a voltage drop test across the points, what you would get? Sometimes with voltage applied the continuity of the component changes.
Just a thought
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't always tell from just looking at a set of points how well they will conduct electricity. To me it looks like you have an abnormal amount of pitting for only 3000 miles, so you may have a questionable condenser or something else that isn't quite right. I would dress that set of points and toss them in the glove box as a spare.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reached a final solution for that set of points.

A test in a turning engine might have yielded more information. but to turn the engine with the starter with my hands and fingers inside with the ohmeter, wires, pulleys and belts was more trouble and risk than I wanted to manage. Both distributors #1 and #2 have new points and condensers and are functional. The rapid pitting was probably due to a bad/weak condenser and it was placed in the NG? bag.

I gave the points a good whack with the sledgehammer and they went flying. I picked them up and gave them another whack. They went flying again and are now hiding someplace. I'd like to post a photo of the demolished points, but I'm tired of crawling around the garage looking for them. I'm not sure who had the last laugh.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: