Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Applying heat to brake fittings?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

I'm installing new brake hoses at my front wheels, and I cannot get the old hose off. The brake fitting nut and the hose are rusted together. I've been applying Deep Creep for 3 days and using vice grips all to no avail.
Can I apply heat to the brake fitting nut with hurting anything?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

IMO:
Brake fluid is flammable and heat may damage the pistons.
Vise grips and BFH should do the job. Huge channellock pliers might be better than visegrips if there is room to work.

50/50 acetone and ATF is the best penetrant.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

I used acetylene torch with an number 1 tip to heat on the last one I took apart. I also cut the rubber hose and used and impact gun with a 6 point socket to remove the hose end. There was no way it was coming apart any other way. As always, use caution when you have an open flame. I was able to save both line ends and reuse. Once I had the hose ends off, I worked in some PB blaster so the line nuts would spin freely with my fingers. Good luck.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

apply cold - e.g. dry ice - to the brake fitting nut

and give the penetrant more than 3 days to work - tap the joint with a steel rod or hammer every few hours

heat is the last resource here
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

Cut the hose off at the fitting, unclip retainer and push fitting out of the bracket.
Clamp large vise grip on the pipe fitting, slip a deep socket over the cut off flex fitting 5/8" maybe?? I think???

Air gun off the flex line fitting.

Done!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I used acetylene torch with an number 1 tip to heat on the last one I took apart. I also cut the rubber hose and used and impact gun with a 6 point socket to remove the hose end. There was no way it was coming apart any other way. As always, use caution when you have an open flame. I was able to save both line ends and reuse. Once I had the hose ends off, I worked in some PB blaster so the line nuts would spin freely with my fingers. Good luck.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This;
I also use oxy-acetylene heat on any frozen brake fitting without any problems.
It'll break the rusted up unions faster than anything else.

You do have to be careful, you do have to watch what your doing.
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

Just a follow-up. I used a propane torch from the hardware store and it worked like a charm. Of course there was a little smoke from all of the oil I had sprayed on it over the last few days.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

Nice work....SO much win!

Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

Be cautious applying heat because the line can POP. Besides startling you, you can catch a piece of crud in the eye.

I use small pipe wrenches and a socket over the nut after cutting off the hose. Channel locks never seemed to grab well enough.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually,starting off with the correct tools & a little heat will get any brake line fitting off in a snap.

A Channel Locks is not the right tool for brake work.

It'll mess up that flare fitting in short order.
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

Terry,
I'm going to buy a set of those wrenches. What size is the nut on the brake fittings? Seems like my 7/16 fits better than the 10mm.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

It is usually a good idea to hit the flare fitting nut with a small wire brush so the correct sized tool will fit properly.
On a rusted up swelled brake line fitting a 3/8's will fit pretty close but is usually a little loose and will round the hex before the 10mm would.

A guy should be able to take a look at any fastener's condition, know full well that a wrench--even the correct one will not all by itself get a rusted up flare fitting loose.
This is where the heat comes in--heat, install the flare nut wrench , and off the fitting comes.

What were you using to get these fittings off--a crescent wrench?

Last edited by Terry Kay on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

chris garrett wrote:
Terry,
I'm going to buy a set of those wrenches. What size is the nut on the brake fittings? Seems like my 7/16 fits better than the 10mm.

Mostly 11mm.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

Brain fade, I meant 3/8ths.
chris garrett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

Well I just bought a 10mm/12mm flare nut wrench and guess what? It doesn't fit. So they are actually 11mm? The one wrench I have never owned-an 11mm.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

Yes, they are 11mm.

Brake line flare nut wrenches are great until you get one totally stuck, then they bugger up a hex as well as any normal wrench.

That's when you get out the vise grips and get the sucker off.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying heat to brake fittings? Reply with quote

And the hose ends are 14 mm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: