Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner bow dimensions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Headliner bow dimensions Reply with quote

Hi, I'm about to install a new headliner in a 66 deluxe non sunroof. I have decided to use new stainless bows but don't have the dimensions. Could any of you guys help? I need diameter and length. (no jokes please! ) Jeff
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same question 8 years ago...

What I end up doing was trying out with a 5 mm brass rod (welding rod), got a measuring tape and checked the dimensions from the roof outside from gutter to gutter where roughly the bows would stay.

I cut the rod to that dimension and tested out inside (rod was longer, bowing out from the panel and very hard to fit). After a shaving 3mm off each time I found the perfect fit length where the rod would stay in place arching with substantial pressure against the roof metal.

I remember 2 or 3 bows in the middle where pretty much the same length, but the front and the last rear one had to be shorter as the roofline was a different pattern.

Bows are still in the same place after I installed 8 years ago.
jefbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, so the bows need to be that tight against the roof?
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the bows as tight as possible against the roof while wedged at the ends and been straight (no warping) worked for me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is how I installed my headliner. Masters of the OG universe said it is not correct but the results I got been the first ever headliner I sew from scratch and installed, I was happy.

If I would do that again one day, I would repeat the method.
splitty_64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: headliner bow dimensions. Reply with quote

looks good! do you have any dimension of the fabric and/or bows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: headliner bow dimensions. Reply with quote

I have a set of roof bows for my '67 standard bus that I purchased from CIP1.ca . I could pull them out and get measurements for you if my model applies to you?

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: headliner bow dimensions. Reply with quote

I just installed my first ever split bus headliner, finishing last month. I have a ‘66 sea blue 13W deluxe. The headliner material was TMI brand that I bought from CIP. I found that the OG bows were slightly too short for this headliner kit, so I ended up buying new bows from CIP and cutting -very carefully- to length I needed. My headliner bows are not quite as tight to the roof as shown in the pics above, but they are definitely touching the roof for the majority of the roofline. My bows were somewhere about these lengths: long 56-5/8”, short 22.5”. All that being said, I am not an expert as this was my first bus headliner. I have also done one in a 65 bug (see pics of that project in my sig) - so At least this job was not my first rodeo Smile Good luck!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
jtarr72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: headliner bow dimensions. Reply with quote

What kind of insulation did you use to line the roof?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: