Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Output flange Bolts and removal - Syncro Transmission
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Output flange Bolts and removal - Syncro Transmission Reply with quote

Hello Sambaists and especially you Jedis...
In way over my head changing the fluid in the tranny. Driveshaft, guards and shift linkage are out. Started to take the output flange off chasing a small leak. All the bolts are off the output flange and now I realize two of the bolts are longer than the others and I don't know where they go in relation to each others.
And I don't know the best way to pull the output flange off. I need to turn the nut (huge, size?) while keeping the flange stationary. I don't have the special tool required according to the Bentlly @ 35.104 If I put it in gear will I damage things? DIY "special" tool?
SAMBA!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember needing any special tools for this. Do you have a pipe wrench or strap wrench? Just pad the flange against gouging. I think I used a cheater pipe for leverage.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same way you would loosen the gland nut holding on the engine's flywheel .. a length of angle iron, with a hole drilled in it, and two 8mm nuts & bolts.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Output flange Bolts and removal - Syncro Transmission Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
In way over my head changing the fluid in the tranny. Driveshaft, guards and shift linkage are out. Started to take the output flange off chasing a small leak. All the bolts are off the output flange and now I realize two of the bolts are longer than the others and I don't know where they go in relation to each others.
And I don't know the best way to pull the output flange off. I need to turn the nut (huge, size?) while keeping the flange stationary. I don't have the special tool required according to the Bentlly @ 35.104 If I put it in gear will I damage things? DIY "special" tool?
SAMBA!

The flange isn't (or shouldn't) be held on with any bolts. It's original held on with a circlip underneath the rubber seal.

Here's the standard output flange with seal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the clip that holds it in. Behind that clip is a spring washer which must be fitted the correct way up so that it pushes against the clip otherwise you risk the flange coming off as you drive!

With the clip removed, you can lever against the heads of the cross-head screws to evenly pull the flange off and then pull the seal out ending up looking like this.

I will say, there is a thread into the output shaft from the diff and I know that in a 'to get this van outta the workshop' some garages have been known to stick a bolt in to hold the flange on.

If this has been done, you can't fit the seal pictured below and the gearbox will leak without it.

Do you have any photos of your current set up?

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP's working on the pinion output flange of a Syncro transaxle.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
The OP's working on the pinion output flange of a Syncro transaxle.

The other output flange Laughing
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My camera on the phone is broken. Crying or Very sad
And I'm not so sure I want to get any deeper into the transmission. The leak is small, for now. A call to Smallcar (who put the decoupler in when the van was converted in 2004) informed me that the seal is likely a press-fit item. Now I wonder if I should just live with the leak and hope it doesn't get worse.
Or take the whole nose cone assembly off and take it to a trans shop to fix?
I'd like to fix it and not have to worry about it for another ten years or so.
Good news, when I drained the transmission there was only a small about of metal stuck to the drain plug magnet. If I take off the nose cone that will be a great time to inspect/clean the inside of the case.
Stay tuned...I'm in deep for me.
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Output flange Bolts and removal - Syncro Transmission Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
SAMBA!

For the two bolts you are talking about, one is longer than the other. Just hand thread them back in if one ddoesn't go in all the way switch them around.

For the flange you can make your own tool with a foot or two of flat metal or wood. Drill two holes that match the spacing of the holes in the flange and bolt it to the flange. This will hold the flange while you loosen the nut. I forget what size the nut is. Once the flange is off you can replace the seal behind it.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:

Yeah I don't think so…

You can do this little thing.

RonC
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
My camera on the phone is broken. Crying or Very sad
And I'm not so sure I want to get any deeper into the transmission. The leak is small, for now. A call to Smallcar (who put the decoupler in when the van was converted in 2004) informed me that the seal is likely a press-fit item. Now I wonder if I should just live with the leak and hope it doesn't get worse.
Or take the whole nose cone assembly off and take it to a trans shop to fix?
I'd like to fix it and not have to worry about it for another ten years or so.
Good news, when I drained the transmission there was only a small about of metal stuck to the drain plug magnet. If I take off the nose cone that will be a great time to inspect/clean the inside of the case.

Are you talking about the prop-shaft flange? Drive-shafts are from the gearbox and front diff out to the wheels. The German term for the prop-shaft is 'Kardanwelle' which translates to propeller shaft.

The prop-shaft flange is held on with one nut. You'll need a thin walled socket, a bar and 2 x bolts in the flange to loosen the nut and then a few cracks with a soft faced mallet and it'll come off.

The seal is pressed in behind it. Not hard to do but the seal is specific to our transmissions.

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the prop shaft then. At the front end of the trans pointing to the front of the vehicle. I'll build the tool as suggested with wood first since I have it. I suppose I need to get the part off to inspect the seal to determine the correct part as there are several different decoupler out there and I'm not sure which one I have.
This pic shows the seal I suspect is going bad (gears just posted this to the gallery) but its hard to tell, perhaps the seal to the decoupler is the culprit...

SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
Definitely the prop shaft then. At the front end of the trans pointing to the front of the vehicle. I'll build the tool as suggested with wood first since I have it. I suppose I need to get the part off to inspect the seal to determine the correct part as there are several different decoupler out there and I'm not sure which one I have.
This pic shows the seal I suspect is going bad (gears just posted this to the gallery) but its hard to tell, perhaps the seal to the decoupler is the culprit...

Ah ok. That makes more sense.

Fitting a nosecone (decoupler etc) in situ makes it difficult to get a complete seal between it and the gearbox due to the amount of oil around.

This is the front diff but the flange is the same.

I've just penned in the lines to show where you'd brace up against to loosen or tighten up the nut.

For me, I'd use a pair of stock M8 bolts (not the ones that you've taken out as they're high tensile, fine thread bolts what you don't want to mess up) where the red lines are and then a pry bar against them while you loosen the nut with a bar.

It sounds easier than it is and in reality, I would probably get my air gun out to loosen the nut and only use the brace to tighten it back up with the torque wrench.

MG
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I began a post with pics, Honuak, but got sidetracked with work.

The nut size is 24mm (15/16").

The new seal can be carefully tapped into place with a 1 15/16" socket or something similar with a diameter just under 2".

All decouplers use the same OE flange and seal.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have some pics and description of doing the front diff input seal here on my blog

http://shufti.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/vanagon-syncro-front-diff-input-seal-replacement/

I used a but of aluminum angle with holes drilled to match input flange, as others have suggested. Got shots of how I inserted the new seal also.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope the treads aren't reversed because I air hammered it for awhile and it didn't budge...
VANAGAIN has the output flange seal for the best deal I could find. Ordered it.
I will fab a better brace bar and try again tomorrow.
Having all y'all here is really helping me get thru.
SAMBA!
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
I sure hope the treads aren't reversed because I air hammered it for awhile and it didn't budge...
VANAGAIN has the output flange seal for the best deal I could find. Ordered it.
I will fab a better brace bar and try again tomorrow.
Having all y'all here is really helping me get thru.
SAMBA!

They have the normal direction of threads. They are tight though and if the flange can move around, it'll remove a lot of the impact from the nut gun.

Good luck Smile

MG
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a little tool out of a piece of flat stock, measured the holes, drilled and bolted it on for removal-replacement of the nut. Flawless!

Kind of like this one only not as elaborate.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever Goat Wink
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fail #1

Fail #2

A bit tough getting clearance under the van for leverage and my yoke removal tools belong on the wall of shame. Both bent. There are yoke
tools that may work
http://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Performance-ALL68372-Pinion-Wrench/dp/B004QGBMT2

This nut has been peeing on my rug for a week.

Oh, man, my thinking about this case
had become very uptight

-The Dude

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-big-lebowski/erev-shabbos/#!quotes/

I just got the cool/hot outside thermometer into seat heat switch steering column mod. I'm doing that till I stop using so many damm cuss words.
LeftCoastKiteboarding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of in's and out's and what-have-you's. Don't worry, a new seal will really tie the thing together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: