Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChunkyTx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

Trying to purchase my first bug. Would anybody consider or have any experience purchasing or working on a car that was in a flood and has water damage. I’m considering buying it but I wouldn’t no where to start. Thanks
1966 VW BEETLE
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

ChunkyTx wrote:
Trying to purchase my first bug. Would anybody consider or have any experience purchasing or working on a car that was in a flood and has water damage. I’m considering buying it but I wouldn’t no where to start. Thanks
1966 VW BEETLE

Water damage??

considering the levels of rust repairs we do with these vehicles, "water" damage is a moot point.

It the body is straight and the "water" damage only means it got wet inside and out, it could be a good find.

Use the flooding as a bargaining chip.

If you do acquire it though, plan on gutting it, and rebuilding from ground up.

If you passing on it, please let us know as most on here will be quick to grab it if cheap enough.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

The work involved to restore a flooded car to road worthy depends on a number of things. How soon after the flood the damage is addressed, what was done to address it, whether the flood was fresh or salt water, how deep the water was are all considerations. The longer a car sits after the flood unattended to, the poorer the chances it can be salvaged.

Quite frankly a flooded car can be either the easiest car to salvage or it can be the most daunting and labor intensive depending totally on the circumstances.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

A modern car with all the electronics would an absolute pass. BUT a '66 bug should be pretty easy if the flood water didn't spill over into the carb and ruin the engine. Of course, as stated previously, the kind of water (rainfall versus a tidal surge) would make a big difference. Salt water getting into the heater channels and crevices that can't be mitigated will forever be a worsening issue. If non-salt water, not a big deal if it didn't stay in the water for too long.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

Doesn't have to spill over the carb when it can come in the muffler. Gets expensive quick.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Doesn't have to spill over the carb when it can come in the muffler. Gets expensive quick.

That's true. I was thinking of a '61 Mercedes 220S I had in high school. It got flooded during a hurricane and water came up close to the carbs. I had to replace the body to transmission grounding strap and it started right up. Shot water out of the exhaust about half a block. I guess I got lucky that the waterline must have been just below the exhaust manifold. Yeah, a bug would be a different story Confused

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

Hmm, person from Houston asking about a flood damaged car... hurricane Harvey maybe? With a good portion of that county getting submerged and average rainfall of two and a half feet, I'm thinking the car was more than likely at least door handle deep in water. I would be concerned about hidden rust in the tunnel, quarters, and heater channels, not to mention hidden corrosion in all of the wiring. Unless the car immediately had all fluids drained and replaced after the flood receded, I would also expect the transaxle, engine, and brakes to all have internal damage.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

If it was dried out quickly you might not be able to tell it was ever flooded. But, if it sat under water a while it could be a real mess.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

While the differences between fresh water & salt water have been made, there is lots of nastiness to take into consideration when that water damage is due to hurricane flooding, all sorts of carcinogens & pathogens are carried in those waters & subsequent molds are usually present due to the length of time that those cars tend to stew in those conditions.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

I helped a buddy restore a car that he'd submerged in a fresh water creek. We did get it running and functioning again but it was never the same. Lol this was 50+ years ago and I still remember it quite well...it was a pain.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

Rudely and expensive to restore in a weekend?
Remove interior, and strip seats down to frames, clean, paint and install new padding and covers.
Remove strip and clean interior shell of headliner, door/quarter panel cards, mats, carpet, padding, what ever you find down to the tar boards.
Remove windows, so you can do the headliner replacement correctly,
Cut "inspection" ports at the front & rear ends of the heater channels.
Heater channels will need to be cleaned, and I'd blow paint in there too, before I
capped the inspection ports.
Speedo, gen & starter, and other electrics light switch, wiper switch may need nothing more than cleaning & re-lube of bearings or bushings.
Front Beam, Pan, Trans, & Engine at the min will need to be flushed, rust damage due to water invasion, may require rebuilding.
Hydro locking an engine due to standing water in a cylinder can be avoided by removing spark plugs, and rotating the engine by hand.
Stuck valves due to corrosion is also another danger, that has to be addressed.
So you see a lot has to be addressed,
but compared to replacing the lower 6" of the sheet metal and pans on a rusty example the work is not hard.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

Ask Robbie about his experience with his bus.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

No reason to get into the hobby this way, there are lots of better dry ones out there
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
No reason to get into the hobby this way, there are lots of better dry ones out there

not in Houston... but I agree. wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

who the f* is Robbie?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Flooded water damaged 1966 VW Beetle 1st purchase maybe ? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
calvinater wrote:

who the f* is Robbie?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745242&postorder=asc

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: