Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Searching for information on this bus. Jerry Garcia Fan Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1956vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
Soo.... Are you going to strip it back to the original paint?? Wink I bet they didn't sand it down before doing the hippy paint, but what about when they did the mango respray? If you could find out who painted it, you could ask them.

Trust me, I have thought about this a lot. I am trying to locate the shop that painted it but it was 12 years ago or so. I am having a difficult time finding who did the work. It would be like playing Russian Roulette, the paint looks pretty nice right now and shows no signs of any issues (blisters, flaking etc.) even after 12 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1956vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the thread about the bus in it's current condition. This is the thread that will have all current & historical info and work documented

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589977
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1956vw wrote:
RPGreg2600 wrote:
Soo.... Are you going to strip it back to the original paint?? Wink I bet they didn't sand it down before doing the hippy paint, but what about when they did the mango respray? If you could find out who painted it, you could ask them.

Trust me, I have thought about this a lot. I am trying to locate the shop that painted it but it was 12 years ago or so. I am having a difficult time finding who did the work. It would be like playing Russian Roulette, the paint looks pretty nice right now and shows no signs of any issues (blisters, flaking etc.) even after 12 years.

Seriously - I wouldn't risk it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1956vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
1956vw wrote:
RPGreg2600 wrote:

Seriously - I wouldn't risk it

I won't, but this bus was undercoated when new (supposedly by the dealer in Ma.) and I am dieing to see what the paint is like in the front wheel wells....but I will leave it alone as well. there is no flaking at all, just needs to be brushed clean.
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mostly teasing. I wouldn't do it either unless I knew for sure that the paint hadn't been sanded down. That said, I would be dying to know what was under the respray. Maybe the hippy paint would come right off taking the respray with it.. Wink

Maybe check an inconspicuous spot like the lower nose behind the bumper?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus doen's have the Garcia paint job anymore, right?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
The bus doen's have the Garcia paint job anymore, right?

No, but it might still be under the mango respray. Maybe they sanded the hippy paint smooth and sprayed it.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that bus at the Carlisle Import Fest blew my mind back then as I had just purchased my old 65 21 window bus in 1989 and I was into VW's but I was just getting into buses.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirbyland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumb question- was the art supposedly done by Garcia?
kirbyland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind----
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that bus in Grant Park in Chicago when that discover card things was going on. I believe it was the fall jazz fest. 97 would make sence as i has just started at Wheaton that fall.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1956vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to come in contact with someone who worked on the Jerry Garcia Private Issue Credit Card campaign. They sent me pictures and negatives of the bus at the unveiling in San Francisco's "North Beach Festival" in 1997, an event at Universal Studios and Buses and Balloons 1997. I will have to get the negatives developed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unveiling in 1997 with "Wavy Gravy" (He was the MC at woodstock for a while, Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane/Starship and his daughter China Kantner (actress)

Buses and Balloons 1997

jsealman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for information on this bus. Jerry Garcia Fan Reply with quote

Hey!! I am a little late coming in to this conversation...I actually have the print that Jerry did that Discover used to base the bus and card on. It was recently damaged in a move, so I was researching how much it may be worth, but can find nothing! If anyone on this feed has any possible leads, I would really appreciate it On another note, I learned how to drive stick in a "magic bus." Smile

ewetho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for information on this bus. Jerry Garcia Fan Bus Reply with quote

Although not a Dead Head, I was actually lucky enough to see that Masterpiece just after they painted it. It stopped by the Bug House in Virginia Beach. It was insanely awesome. They found a very Very clean old bus and it was a combination of wrap on the glass and paint if not mistaken. I just remember them saying they just got it back from the artist who copied a piece from Jerry Garcia and was going on promotional tour. That paint job alone was $50,000 according to the guy who picked it up and delivered the check. Bus was not cheap either. Too bad the paint is gone but awesome to see it is in such nice shape anyway.

Was just wondering what became of it.
jamesklmn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for information on this bus. Jerry Garcia Fan Bus Reply with quote

In 1997 I worked for a sign company in Virginia Beach, VA. called SignMasters, Inc. We are the ones who painted this bus. It was donated by George Brett (KC Baseball Player) for the Jerry Garcia Private Issue Card. The graphic is one of Jerry Garcias paintings.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for information on this bus. Jerry Garcia Fan Bus Reply with quote

jamesklmn wrote:
In 1997 I worked for a sign company in Virginia Beach, VA. called SignMasters, Inc. We are the ones who painted this bus. It was donated by George Brett (KC Baseball Player) for the Jerry Garcia Private Issue Card. The graphic is one of Jerry Garcias paintings.

Whoa, best first post in a long time!
If you have details on exactly how the bus was painted, I'm sure the current owner would appreciate it. Especially whether the original paint was sanded prior to painting.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: