Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Amazing derailment of a great thread.

Great thread for sure, amazing job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Wheels for Cayenne brake project Reply with quote

Luckily Chris and I discussed the brake kit in detail via email. We both agreed it should be designed in a way that would be able to accommodate any wheel with out having to redesign the whole kit each time. If I understand correctly only 1 or 2 parts need to be modified to place the brakes more inboard or outboard for different wheel offsets as well as bolt patterns. That being said my cayenne 18x8 were not 100% satisfactory to me as they would still catch the inner fender lip on occasion and stuck out a tiny bit too much for my liking. I sacrificed tire rotation, and ride comfort for looks. I have yet to hit 40 years old so maybe I'll regret that in a few years Smile

This is another guys van pictured below. It has the actual wheels that I purchased from him off of the Seattle CL. These have the highest offset ET57 of any stock 19" Porsche bolt pattern wheel you can find in the 8" width. This allows the rim to be tucked into the fender significantly more than the 18x8 size on previously because the upper A-arm is cleared by the extreme diameter. This allows for less "thickness" of spacer/hub assembly required. The fronts also have a convex "dish" that allow plenty of room for the brake parts. They are also some of the lightest factory 19" wheels you can get:
19x8 = 22lbs
19x9.5 = 24lbs

14x6 factory vanagon alloys = 18 lbs

This compares to hollow Porsche cup twist wheels and drops 5 lbs per corner compared to solid Porsche cup twist wheels of an inch less diameter and for only $700! $2000+ is the cheapest you will find a nice flawless set of hollow spokes.
Hollow 18x7.5 = 20.8lbs
Solid 18x7.5 = 26lbs
Hollow 18x10 24.5lbs
Solid 18x10 29lbs

T3 has an an air cooled single round headlight van sporting them on his web site and is the one who suggested them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a photo of a real Porsche with 19"x8" lobster claw wheel with 'similar' brakes I'm guessing

Offsets/size

rear

Front

magician
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a few months since last update. Have these brakes hit the street?

Is there any chance these brakes would fit behind a set of Boxster 17-inch twists? Or are 18"+ required?

Thanks!
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: When? Reply with quote

I'm as anxious as you are. Chris needs a running van to fully test the complete brake transplant. I'm not sure if mine or his will be first van with these brakes on the road but I told him it would be running by November and ready for him to do the installation. He requested to have it a week to accomplish this.

He responded no problem I'm on it😎.
magician
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

Checking back on progress ... really curious on the outcome. Also curious if these would fit inside Boxster 17-inch twists wheels or if 18-inch wheels are needed. Hoping to start through the list of upgrades to my tintop in January

Thx!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

There have been a few setbacks with this project. Not with the brakes themselves, but rather with me having the time to finish them up. The engine conversion for this van should be wrapped up fairly soon as will the brake package.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

Good! That means there is still time to switch him over to PCCB GT-3 brakes Laughing
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

Ceramics sound great but I AM TAPPED and the cayenne rotors and calipers are already in T3's hands. In fact I have a flawless 1991 Orly blue Carat ($7k) with grey interior and 2 jump seats with new carpet which is totally factory stock that needs to go to a new home in order to pay for tuning and exhaust fab ! Please PM me for details.

I also have a very nice 250 street bike with low miles that needs a new home as well. 2007 Hyosung with 8k miles which gets 65mpg which I would let go for $2k
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

what happened to this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

wow this looks awesome. Yeah what happened to this!?
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

The brakes are hinging on having my vehicle. My vehicle is not finished with the engine swap. It's a "side project" for Eion when his work flow slows down. Unfortunately EIon is so talented he has not had any down time for a while to address the final steps. Even after EIon finishes it needs exhaust and engine management completed 😬 I do believe Christopher was going to put these on his van too so that might happen sooner. These are custom application for the desired wheel so if you want a set let Chris know!! I doubt there will ever be a one size fits all kit.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

Any status updates on this project?
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

The test vehicle needs some inner fender sheet metal rework around the super charger. Until that happens this project is on hold in Seattle. Volunteers? I miss my van Sad
stars7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

Any progress on these? There is a guy in Leeds UK, with a set of Porsche 6 pots on his WRX swapped van, that’s for sale...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272727186493950/pe...mp;sfns=mo
stars7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Reply with quote

Any progress on these? There is a guy in Leeds UK, with a set of Porsche 6 pots on his WRX swapped van, that’s for sale...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272727186493950/pe...mp;sfns=mo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: