Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

I assume this is an original fuel pump? Do you replace them after 30 years? Cool Or every 5, 10, 20?

Curious about longevity and if anyone has used the aftermarket ones, like GW sells?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kublerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

Usually when they break. Given that new parts aren’t necessarily better.
bettingonvans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

I'd leave it if you've got other more important renovations on your list to do. My original fuel pump is still humming along.

But do buy that replacement you're considering and tuck it away somewhere in your van along with some fuel line clamps, your favorite wire stripping tool and some pliers. Maybe pop it in if you're dying to crawl under your van one dry weekend afternoon.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

Often they will give some warning before they fail totally. Maybe just go on line and buy a spare and carry it with you. You just need a quality pump that has close to the same output as the original and has fitting that match your needs. In a pinch you can use one of the many that your closest FLAPS sells. With some searching here, you should be able to come up with a part number for a Ford Ranger pump that people have used.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

I was having a random hot start issue and replaced the original fuel pump as part of diagnosing it. I am really glad I did this in my garage and not the side of the road.

One of the bracket fasteners had to be cut off and the electrical terminals on the new pump were different requiring me to change the ends on the wiring harness. Needed new rubber mounts, etc. Well worth the time and money to do this as preventative maintenance.

New pump fixed the hot start problem too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

if you don't have info from PO's on how long it's been I agree with the above as ot a carrying a spare part (a good one)

also, clean up that area & then clean the grounding and power connections...
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

It's feeding a sub 2.2. Seems to work fine so I'd guess the 2.2 needs the same ballpark of fuel pressure/volume.

I think I'll at least replace the rubber.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
It's feeding a sub 2.2. Seems to work fine so I'd guess the 2.2 needs the same ballpark of fuel pressure/volume.

I think I'll at least replace the rubber.

The pressure is controlled by the fuel pressure regulator so volume is really what you are looking for assuming the pump will do more than 40 psi which most any FI pump will. You don't want either too much or too little flow. Too little flow and the pressure may drop under full load conditions, and too much and the regulator and lines may not be able to handle the flow rate.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
and the electrical terminals on the new pump were different requiring me to change the ends on the wiring harness.

I carry a spare pump along with ring-to-spade terminal adapters for ^that reason.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

After fiddling with and replacing a ton of these pumps on Vanagon's as well as Volvos of the same era, I can tell you that the newer pumps, even those labeled Bosch, seem to be of a much lower quality.

The quality was so low and failure rate so high, that I have now reverted back to 30 year old pumps, and actually pull additional 30 year old pumps from junkyards for my spares.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

My PO had the original, and the replacement he put in, bagged N tagged in the parts hole behind driver's seat. So, I'm running at least the 3rd pump. However, I grabbed the one on sale recently and now have that in the parts hole, too. I've used both of the old ones on other temporary projects, they are completely fine. No reason to NOT have at least one known good spare pump along.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

I recently purchased a GW aftermarket pump, not to immediately replace my still functioning original pump, but only because I wanted to start carrying a spare for emergencies. I also purchased a new fuel pressure regulator which I had my mechanic install because I had read, here on the Samba, that it could be a source of a fire. My mechanic told me to keep the original as a spare and that fires were really quite rare from a FPR origin.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
...My mechanic told me to keep the original as a spare and that fires were really quite rare from a FPR origin.

That is my impression too. I recall one incident reported here on the Samba that resulted in a lot of hand-wringing and alarm but I don't think there is a pattern of failure and fire with this part.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

Just imagining a failed fuel pressure regulator jetting away is enough to make anyone shudder and blubber.

This is definitely one of those parts to carry a spare of. Preferably an old, working spare.

Humor me. It's like $3,000 to get towed out of Saline Valley. You're blasting around and your trusty, original fuel pump goes out. No probs, you have a new one.

But are you sure it works? New pumps are for putting on, working originals are for trusted backup.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

That is my impression too. I recall one incident reported here on the Samba that resulted in a lot of hand-wringing and alarm but I don't think there is a pattern of failure and fire with this part.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488350

They can leak at the seam and, more commonly, the rubber diaphragm inside goes bad, which leaks fuel into the vacuum-side of the regulator.

When troubleshooting my parents' '89 no-start, Dad & I kept smelling fuel. I had him pull the hose off the regulator and, sure enough, fuel spilled out: faulty, failing regulator. Installed a new regulator and problem solved.

I wouldn't carry around a 30-year-old original regulator, even if it was working when yanked. The thought of relying on a 30-year-old rubber diaphragm that's been exposed to three decades' worth of gasoline, heat, and now air... yikes! No thanks! If anything, buy two new ones: install one, throw the other in your parts box.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488350...

Yes, that is the incident to which I referred.

Offhand I can think of 20 connections and 10 parts in the fuel system between the tank and the engine - any one of which can fail, leak and even catch fire. They all should be inspected from time to time and replaced as needed... but I don't know that the FPR is any more failure prone than the others.

Indeed, the only FPR failure I have experienced did not result in a leak (and only showed up during routine testing of the system).

I suspect that many are driving with a partially failing FPR that isn't leaking. It is simple to test but possibly often overlooked.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

Out with the old, in with the new.

Replace the fuel filter while you're at it.

Might want to consider dropping the fuel tank and replacing the lines too.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

Just carry any cheapo spare you can find. Better than being stuck. Although I got stuck this weekend in rural AZ and met some very nice peeps.
They were great company while I changed the direction of my 1/2 axle.
I learned a little about the history of one of AZ small mining towns. No VW breakdown goes w/o a lesson to be learned. Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

Thanks I'll keep it and clean things up and carry a cheapo.

Is the FPR usually changed when doing a Sub swap or do I likely still have a Vanagon spec'ed one?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that an original fuel pump? When to replace them... Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
Thanks I'll keep it and clean things up and carry a cheapo.

Is the FPR usually changed when doing a Sub swap or do I likely still have a Vanagon spec'ed one?

A 2.2 the Subaru swap uses the Subaru FPR, I would guess it would be the same for other Subaru engines as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: