Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I can't take it anymore
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: I can't take it anymore Reply with quote

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u636/kevinoneall/IMG_0767_zpsb470c07e.jpg

Ten years ago my mechanic father gave me two longblocks. Flipping a coin I rebuilt one and have been using it for a few years. But nothing I've tried has stopped the leak. I add half a quart every couple months.

Can someone tell me about the other block from these numbers. I remember one type in particular is not worth rebuilding but I don't know which:

AE 687312

TIA,

kevin
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheres the leak coming from? tracking it down will get more suggestions as to what needs repair.

seems kinda overkill to rebuild a whole motor just cause of an oil leak

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
wheres the leak coming from? tracking it down will get more suggestions as to what needs repair.

I pulled the engine twice. Once to replace the flywheel seal and once to replace the oil cooler seals. It seems to be coming from a leak where the case halves conjoin near the flywheel and a second leak at the
bottom near the strainer plate.

kevin
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this car is driven regularly, honestly I wouldn't worry too much about 1/2 quart over a few months. IF however, it sits most of the time and is rarely driven... that's another story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine leaked and it ended up being the flywheel where the seal rides on it.
You also may have a crack in the case. besides they all leak

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steel cap at the end of the camshaft needs to be sealed to both case halves.

If the studs holding the sump plate in place are partially backed out, the case will leak from there more than usual. Also, make sure the sump plate isn't excessively distorted around the bolt holes. File it flat from the inside. Use the copper washers supplied with the oil change kits under the sump plate nuts, especially if they are cap nuts.

The "AE" case is from a 1971-73 1600 dual-port engine. They have the dual oil reliefs. This is a good core if the case can be serviced.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice above. Seal the cam plug with a good copper sealer, buy a new sump plate - getting a 40 year old one flat with a file is a bitch. I made my last couple with 1/4" plate ground flat on a surface grinder then welded a nut on the middle hole (outside - not inside) so I could use a standard magnetic drain plug, and I make my own gaskets for the sump plate from a good grade of gasket paper.

And . . . a pint of oil a month isn't crazy, but it does make a mess on the driveway.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been curious as to why my freshly rebuilt engine has not leaked at all in the last 900 miles. Isn't that a little unusual? Maybe it's just a matter of when.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL engines don't leak, but most engine blocks are approaching (or have past) 50 years old. Decades of heating, cooling, and teardowns take its toll on soft metal. My air cooled Wisconsin V-4 (New Holland skid steer), is over 40 years old and doesn't leak, but it's cast iron, a 90 degree "V" engine which doesn't appear to have ever been apart.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I'm using a rebuilt engine with new pistons, cylinders, rebuilt heads and a lightened 8-dowel flywheel. Will the 8-dowel flywheel fit on this 4-dowel crankshaft?

crvc

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it will fit just fine.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
Yes, it will fit just fine.

As I mentioned my dad gave me two longblocks. He mentioned one had a oil flow problem. When I took it apart I found the problem; a piece of broken main bearing had gouged a long ditch then gotten caught in the oil port. I'm wondering if he had worked on the other block, the one in that photo. If so I may not need to split the case. I have to travel down to Colorado for a conference next week. I'll bring the longblock to show him in hopes that he'll remember working on it.

Thanks for all the advice,

crvc
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware... some of those light flywheels seem to either be undersized in the seal area or eat the crank seal lip in short time..
I just went through this on a fresh engine with 4k miles on it...... swapped out to a stock flywheel and new seal.. problem eliminated...
Just food for thought...

In addition.. coat the outter surface of the new crank seal with a skim of high quality RTV before installation, LUBE THE LIP SEAL with a light coat of grease or break in lube.
Clean the front case half area well behind the flywheel, scuff it slightly, apply a small and consitant bead of high quality RTV externally along the case seam and the cam plug seam.....just in case...
You'd be real suprised what can be sealed from seeping on the outside with good sealer.
I use GM Engine Sealant. 88864346 when necessary.
Also heard some good things about Hondas sealant called Hondabond in a cheese whiz like can...
These products are used to repair alloy case and even wheel porosity... so works well for lots of applications.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Beware... some of those light flywheels seem to either be undersized in the seal area or eat the crank seal lip in short time..
I just went through this on a fresh engine with 4k miles on it...... swapped out to a stock flywheel and new seal.. problem eliminated...
Just food for thought...

How would I tell whether the flywheel is the problem?

crvc
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start making some comparison measurments to a good stock flywheel with a dial caliper..
Look at the sealing surface.. It should be very very smooth.
If you have excessive thrust in your crank and the sealing surface isnt perfect... it will saw the crank seal in a short time.
Slide a new crank seal on the spout of both flywheels and note if there is any difference in seal lip deflection.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state of the art in finding engine oil leaks is by using a UV dye added to the engine oil and then inspecting for leaks with a proprietary UV light in conjunction with UV enhancing glasses Smile ...
http://www.grainger.com/product/4LTU8?gclid=CLXZ-6...18005717:s
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151244929352?lpid=82
Other than that, very close inspection based on lots of trial and error may occur Crying or Very sad

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
johnhous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought silicone oil plate gaskets from Wolfsburg West and no more oil leak from the strainer area. I was so happy I got back online and bought the matching valve cover silicone gaskets as well. Wipe them off and re use them a couple of times. $6.50 + shipping is worth a shot.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113198031SI
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
6T5 square wrote:

I pulled the engine twice. Once to replace the flywheel seal and once to replace the oil cooler seals. It seems to be coming from a leak where the case halves conjoin near the flywheel and a second leak at the
bottom near the strainer plate.

kevin

When installing the new main seal did you oil the lip in the seal that rides on the flywheel? That lip is what does the sealing and if you don’t oil up the lip before putting the flywheel on, its possible to burn the lip enough on initial start up that it will leak.

We had a 911 engine several years ago that would leak. It was a strange leak that would leave about a quarter sized puddle on the garage floor just after shut down. It turned out to be a porous area in the casting of the crankcase.

Once we figured out where it was coming from we drained the oil, cleaned the area real well with brake clean or spray carb cleaner (don’t remember which). Then we put a vacume on the oil system and sucked a drop or two of loctite into the porous area. About 10 years latter, there was still no leak when the car was sold.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: