Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use Dexron VI ATF in your Vanagon Automatic?
Yes
29%
 29%  [ 14 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 20 ]
I don't know
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 47

nevadaesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged a big thanks.

"Two quarts ATF with a filter change, drain and refill is just fine..which is perplexing as what it sounds like is the transmission blew out ATF from the breather port on top of the transmission like it was over-filled with ATF (a classic over-filled symptom) and yet your dip-stick indicates too little ATF after your drive home."
Did not know about the breather on top of the tranny but explains the smoke from on top.

"If your having a hard time seeing the ATF level on the dip-stick (it happens sometimes) have an assistant with good eye-balls check it for you. "
Out to the shop this morning to check the oil level again. Cold and after warming it up again. I'll have the wife take a look also. Yesterday the dip stick appeared to be bone dry while it was idling.

If, after warm, the dip stick shows no oil, I'm extremely reluctant to take it out on the road. Don't know what I should do.

10:30am: checked the oil level on the cold engine. After adding 3 qts. yesterday, the oil is up to where the dipstick twists 90*'s. Should I even start it and warm it up????
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

If after it is warmed up and there is no ATF on the dip-stick..then add some..slowly..1/4 quart at a time..wait and re-check the AFT level. Take your time and do not rush.

The difference between the MIN and MAX mark on the dip-stick is about 1/4 quart or so..so add slowly and check it PRIOR to a test drive on the road.

Your smoke was very dramatic..just be cool and check and fill..by the book..much less excitement that way..which is not fun and overrated when you work on your Vanagon.

nevadaesh wrote:
10:30am: checked the oil level on the cold engine. After adding 3 qts. yesterday, the oil is up to where the dipstick twists 90*'s. Should I even start it and warm it up????

There should be two stamped dots on the dip-stick..below the twist..those are your MIN and MAX marks..look for them.

The AFT can be higher with the engine off. ATF up around the twist is not unusual once the torque converter has drained..however 3 quarts may be too much ATF..should be about two..be prepared to drain some ATF out and recheck once you find the DOTs on the dip-stick.

Start it up and check the level cold..should be at the very bottom of the dip-stick..it goes higher once warmed up..If it is still around the twist when running cold..you have too much ATF in the transmission.

I will take a picture of the dip-stick and share
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nevadaesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged

Thanks very much. I'm going to start it and watch the dip stick very closely. I will be prepared to drain some ATF if I have to.
microvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

I just completed my automatic tranny service using all these steps. A big thank you!
I first did the transaxle / final drive drain, cork gasket and fluid change using Red Line 75W90 gear oil.
Next I drained the tranny fluid by removing the dip stick tube and then dropping the pan. I used the gasket and filter set from bus depot.
I used the ford type F fluid and the van has never shifted better!

Thx again team!

Bruce in Oregon
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

table wrote:
I just read the spec sheet for Castrol Transmax and it goes in pretty much anything!

Quote:

Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs)
Chrysler ATF+3®, ATF+2®, ATF+®
Ford MERCON®
General Motors DEXRON®- III
H, II-D, II, DEXRON®; 9986195; Type A, Suffix A (TASA)
Honda ATF-Z1, ATF DW-1 (except in CVTs)
Hyundai SP-II, SP-III
Infiniti Matic-D,
Matic-J, Matic-K
Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
Toyota Type T, T-III, T-IV
Volvo All Specifications

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
"universal" fluids cannot meet the specifications of all of them, there are viscosity differences, base oils are different, additive packages as well. In a pinch a universal would be better than no ATF at all. I would like some real life observations from members that have mixed Dexron IV on a partial changout and those that have done a complete changeout with Dexron VI and put some mileage on it. Some of the recommendations I have seen online recommend a demarcation line of model year 2000 on the Dexron VI. I have mixed it in my 2000 Buick Park Avenue at 50,000 miles without any apparent issues at 80,000 miles after another 30,000 miles. My Vanagon tranny was rebuilt with new seals 6,000 miles ago so In my case I doubt it will be an issue to put Dexron Vi. I think on a 20 year old tranny I would have reservations .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

For three years I've been running type F exclusively.

I believe this info originated with TK and I trust his mechanical knowledge so I followed suit with no issues.

I had the pan off recently to put in some new piston bands seals and there wasn't any debris field at all on the pan bottom.

That is after about 30,000 miles.

I did have a leak for years so new oil was being added on a continuous basis.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

I like the idea of the reduced viscosity of the Dexron VI and it's improved heat stability because I am running a chipped 1.8T with 215hp and increased torque. Coolant temperature has been as high as 205° F while running hard during the summer with outside temps running 95° or higher. The Dexron Vi actually has more viscosity than Dexron III which drops to about 4.2Cst after it has been used a bit and sheared, the new seals on my rebuild should not be a problem.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
For three years I've been running type F exclusively.

I believe this info originated with TK and I trust his mechanical knowledge so I followed suit with no issues.

I had the pan off recently to put in some new piston bands seals and there wasn't any debris field at all on the pan bottom.

That is after about 30,000 miles.

I did have a leak for years so new oil was being added on a continuous basis.

Dave
. I contacted German Transaxle about Type F usage, they were against it. Unfortunately they were also against my older stash of Mitsubishi Special ATF that I had from my previous 2 Monteros......Durn..... Very Happy
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

Oil is a fascinating topic.

Many variations of the product exist and everyone seems to have an opinion on a given variation that they cling to dearly.

From what I've read, Ford F and Dextron aren't that fundimentally different from each other.

There are many reports of Ford F actually working better in a GM based transmission than Dextron, and these are not just from Terry K.

I think the bottom line is that no long term harm will come from using either oil. My personal experience of 30,000 miles has shown this to be true.

BUT.......

Whatever oil you choose to use, for a long and healthy transmission life, change it every 20,000 miles or so.

IMHO this "modern" long service interval or lifetime oil mentality of today is false economy and nothing but a scam to reduce long term maintenance cost for the average owner...... who keeps a car for what? three years/36,000 miles or so.

Subsequent owners would be foolish to continue on with the original lubricants still in use.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

Quote:
IMHO this "modern" long service interval or lifetime oil mentality of today is false economy and nothing but a scam to reduce long term maintenance cost for the average owner...... who keeps a car for what? three years/36,000 miles or so.

These long/infinite intervals miraculously coincided with the Engineering that enabled lifetime free oil change state dealer as a sales perk.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

These long/infinite intervals miraculously coincided with the Engineering that enabled lifetime free oil change state dealer as a sales perk.

Agree!^^^
I could easily drive almost any new car off the lot today and never change any oil for well over 100,000 miles. It would do the journey, but at what long term internal cost?

If you view mechanical items as disposable consumables, why worry about the long term viability?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Dextron
Dextron

DEXRON is a registered trademark owned by GM who licenses the name to lubricant manufacturers.

Dextron is a drug.

Spelling, especially for proper nouns, is very important.🙂
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Dextron
Dextron

DEXRON is a registered trademark owned by GM who licenses the name to lubricant manufacturers.

Dextron is a drug.

Spelling, especially for proper nouns, is very important.🙂

You know my dear fellow Moderator Kam ........ you DO have editing powers.

However I'm sure it's much more fun to showcase my shortcomings? Shocked Laughing

I can dish it out, I can accept it as well......... Wink

Happy New Year!!! Dancing

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
You know my dear fellow Moderator Kam ........ you DO have editing powers.

Thought about editing, but that wouldn't be a learning experience for you and so many others who make the same mistake. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

Ever notice Kam seems to be a thread killer? She posts and the thread just ends, Gives new meaning to getting the last word in.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

Kind of like the anti Terry Kay. Terry Kay was a thread extender. I saw easy to understand logical replies by him drive a thread into twenty pages or more. Smile
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

greebly wrote:
Ever notice Kam seems to be a thread killer? She posts and the thread just ends, Gives new meaning to getting the last word in.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Knowing what you're talking about has that effect.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

Well, now we're all afraid of making spelling or grammer mistakes and getting publically disciplined!! Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Well, now we're all afraid of making spelling or grammer mistakes and getting publically disciplined!! Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes

Dave

Dave, its "grammar"!! Shocked Laughing Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dexron III vs VI ATF in Automatic Transmissions (revisited) Reply with quote

greebly wrote:
Ever notice Kam seems to be a thread killer? She posts and the thread just ends

And, amusingly, not just on The Samba and not just after pointing out naming errors. Think

Jake de Villiers wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Well, now we're all afraid of making spelling or grammer mistakes and getting publically disciplined!!

Dave, its "grammar"!!

Also, it's "publicly". Wink

But, seriously, I wasn't picking on you, Dave; you were simply the latest person to add the "t".
2016 Golf GTI S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: