Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Cranks - But doesn't always start right up???
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Starter Cranks - But doesn't always start right up??? Reply with quote

1987 Syncro
2.1 WBX
New Starter GW Reduction
All wires connections checked.

We have not looked into the ignition switch yet. Rolling Eyes

This starting problem has plagued my sons Syncro ever since he acquired it. When the weather is cold his Bosch starter would not click or even turn over. The colder it was, the symptoms got worse. If he held the ignition key on for some time or tried starting several times (50) or so, it would engage the starter. I told him that the solenoid was sticking and needed a new starter. Once it warmed up it would start but still needed to crank a bit before it would fire up.

So I purchased him a new GW gear reduction starter and put it in. Now it cranks easily at the touch of the ignition key, but it still has to crank for a while before firing up. I tried it myself and it seemed to fire just when you release the key from trying the starter.

I am guessing there is a voltage drop somewhere or the ignition switch may be at fault.

He would like a push button for the starter wired up and that should be easy to do by tapping the RED and BLKRD wires from the ignition to a starter button.

Any ideas from those who have had issues like this?
Yes, all the grounds have been cleaned and checked.
Yes, the wires to the starter post have been checked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Cranks - But doesn't always start right up??? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
...it seemed to fire just when you release the key from trying the starter...

I think this means that the starter is drawing so much current that ignition is poor -- then, in the moment after you release the starter switch, there is finally enough spark for good ignition.

I do not recall what the likely solution is, though I have added both a dedicated ground cable and a dedicated hot cable to the starter to maximize the circuit.

Syncro Jael wrote:
...He would like a push button for the starter wired up...

I get a kick out of kits to add a push-button starter to modern cars. My other car has a starter button -- because it's 55 years old. Yes, should be very simple to add though (and I don't think this is what you were saying) no help with the problem you're experiencing.
Waldemar Sikorski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider a starter relay kit: https://www.busdepot.com/wr1
Is the battery good and fully charged? Check the fuel pressure at the tee. My fuel pressure regulator would not hold pressure after turning the engine off. The fuel pump valve seems to be OK.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: