Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D Printing Vanagon parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonloc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

[quote="Yellow Rabbit"]I printed this using the Shapeways strong and flexible material. I’ve opened and closed the cabinet dozens of times. So far, so good!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice work! What a great application for 3D printing!

Can we have access to your STL file?
fatsubsonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Bumper End Caps would be awesome. They seem to get broken or lost quite often...
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

tonloc wrote:

Go to Shapeways.com and search Vanagon. The material for this needs to be flexible, I don’t know that a home printed part would work. I’ve had decent success with the flexibility of this material so far.

3d printed bumper end caps would cost way more than the aftermarket ones already available. The print time and material costs are coming down, but they are still more than molded parts.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

How about the plastic covers that go on the bottom of the remote side mirror mounts?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
How about the plastic covers that go on the bottom of the remote side mirror mounts?

A Samba member made a drawing of those and they are available through Shapeways.

I got a pair in frosted white so as to make side marker repeaters for the turn signals. Pretty easy to spray them black or whatever.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=vanagon
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

A Samba member made a drawing of those and they are available through Shapeways.

I got a pair in frosted white so as to make side marker repeaters for the turn signals. Pretty easy to spray them black or whatever.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=vanagon

Ahh...Thanks for that info.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

I've been tidying up and renewing a lot the the wiring harnesses as part of my Syncro Doka restoration before they go back in the vehicle. The taillight harness was in really rough shape, a section of it was partly melted from the exhaust system the PO had installed, and the boots covering the connectors were falling apart.... So I fixed the melted wires and re-did all of the plastic casing.

Seeing as how the boots are NLA, I decided to experiment with some flexible TPE filament in my 3d printer and was pleasantly surprised with the results...

I modified the left side boot to have a larger neck to accommodate a modification to the wiring harness

This modification allows me to connect a powered trailer light module without having to hard wire anything in by adding a short connector coming out of the left taillight

Last edited by garbaldie on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Boxer Rebellion wrote:
has anyone thought or try to 3D print the South African Headlight grille? will this be too large and costly of materials?

on a smaller scale, can someone 3D print a windshield shade clip holder? I'll be happy to purchase.

Andre

I did the trim rings for my homemade SA Grill on my 3D printer... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Nice! Want to share the STL?
garbaldie wrote:
die"]I've been tidying up and renewing a lot the the wiring harnesses as part of my Syncro Doka restoration before they go back in the vehicle. The taillight harness was in really rough shape, a section of it was partly melted from the exhaust system the PO had installed, and the boots covering the connectors were falling apart.... So I fixed the melted wires and re-did all of the plastic casing.

Seeing as how the boots are NLA, I decided to experiment with some flexible TPE filament in my 3d printer and was pleasantly surprised with the results...

I modified the left side boot to have a larger neck to accommodate a modification to the wiring harness

This modification allows me to connect a powered trailer light module without having to hard wire anything in by adding a short connector coming out of the left taillight

garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

ohhorob wrote:
These images aren't loading for me. Any chance you could add them to the gallery here at thesamba? It helps preserve them once the hosting system changes something to break the urls.

Fixed the urls, not sure why but they had reverted back from being marked as shared.

For anyone interested, here is a link to the STL of the stock taillight boot.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fNWsk_OcH_t-3EzJjso6_eUie-hkgMzR/view?usp=sharing
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

garbaldie wrote:
I've been tidying up and renewing a lot the the wiring harnesses as part of my Syncro Doka restoration before they go back in the vehicle. The taillight harness was in really rough shape, a section of it was partly melted from the exhaust system the PO had installed, and the boots covering the connectors were falling apart.... So I fixed the melted wires and re-did all of the plastic casing.

Awesome result.

Welcome to the samba! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

garbaldie wrote:
ohhorob wrote:
These images aren't loading for me. Any chance you could add them to the gallery here at thesamba? It helps preserve them once the hosting system changes something to break the urls.

Fixed the urls, not sure why but they had reverted back from being marked as shared.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fNWsk_OcH_t-3EzJjso6_eUie-hkgMzR/view?usp=sharing

I still can't see the images in your post - "Privacy Badger" went berserk...

Seriously, if you want others to see the pictures, please upload to The Samba's gallery.
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Still no images here on my end.
87 Syncro GL
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Odd how some people can view them fine but others can't...
I've edited the post to contain gallery images.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

garbaldie wrote:
Odd how some people can view them fine but others can't...
I've edited the post to contain gallery images.

Thank you - and awesome work with the printer! Smile
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

garbaldie wrote:

Thanks!
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

The thermostat knob for a Dometic fridge, please! Very NLA and not seen at GW or VC.

The big challenge here is getting the inside of the knob shaft right. The thermostat shaft uses a combination of splines and a cutaway to keep the knob and shaft turning at the same time. The original knob uses a spring clip to close a 1/8-1/4"(?) long split. Over time the clip doesn't grip, the split opens, the knob slides out a bit, and the interior of the knob shaft is no longer how it should be.

We have a grey interior, but there's no problem that can't be solved by suitable use of a rattle can. Wink
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

[quote="tonloc"]
Yellow Rabbit wrote:
I printed this using the Shapeways strong and flexible material. I’ve opened and closed the cabinet dozens of times. So far, so good!

Nice work! What a great application for 3D printing!

Do you have any for sale? The piece of string now attempting to serve the same purpose is soooooooo... lame.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Here you go. The one in my van can been holding up since October. Time will tell how long the 3d printing stays flexible, but so far I’m very impressed.

http://shpws.me/P983
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
Here you go. The one in my van can been holding up since October. Time will tell how long the 3d printing stays flexible, but so far I’m very impressed.

http://shpws.me/P983

Ordered! I'll be happy to get rid of the hokey string thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 24

Jump to: