Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D Printing Vanagon parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

I can send it if someone pays shipping there and back. From what I see it looks to be a replacement but might want to double check to make sure. I wont know until I actually do it.

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/protective-gromm...096718.htm
Jac25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

unibagel wrote:
human compass wrote:
how about a westy sunroof fantastic fan install kit?! need a filler plate for the outside of the van, to fill in the drainage channels around the sunroof and a spacer for the inside to make it thick enough.

Shoot me an email, lets see if we can sort this out Smile

[email protected]

I’m interested too. Let me know if I can help with something?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

who is the guy 3d printing on the Samba? I cannot find him anymore in classifieds
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
who is the guy 3d printing on the Samba? I cannot find him anymore in classifieds

I do 3D printing, Engineering and Manufacture. [email protected] is my email.

Chris
www.uniwerksdesign.com

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

I believe an ideal choice for a part to be reproduced via 3D printing is the brown radio housing for the minority of Vanagons with the in-dash Behr A/C unit. Mine has become fragile with age and has formed a hairline crack between two mounting screws. I have had no luck finding a spare one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VanAllen_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I believe an ideal choice for a part to be reproduced via 3D printing is the brown radio housing for the minority of Vanagons with the in-dash Behr A/C unit. Mine has become fragile with age and has formed a hairline crack between two mounting screws. I have had no luck finding a spare one.

I second this!!

Although I don't have an in-dash AC, this would make an ideal way of mounting a CB radio and having it look somewhat factory.

@creative native - Where did you originally find this part?
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Not *exactly* a Vanagon part, but one of the lower clips on our Fiamma bike rack snapped and I decided to model and print it. Has been holding up well so far. Fiamma wanted $20 + $15 shipping for a replacement so that motivated me to try myself. Feel free to PM if you could use the .stl file.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

What a time to be alive.
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

ABS, PETG or Nylon? Very Happy

sped372 wrote:
Not *exactly* a Vanagon part, but one of the lower clips on our Fiamma bike rack snapped and I decided to model and print it. Has been holding up well so far. Fiamma wanted $20 + $15 shipping for a replacement so that motivated me to try myself. Feel free to PM if you could use the .stl file.

[
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

I printed ABS since it was what was in the machine. Time will tell. I thickened the sides a bit vs. the original part but the 'snapover' action still seems good.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
What a time to be alive.

in 1999 i was 3D printing prototypes for the model train company i was working for... things have come down in price for sure and i'm not tied to Solidworks!

the things i want printed include contacts for LEDs so that an issue... boo.

BiWerks Design, LLC
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

@creative native - Where did you originally find this part?

@VanAllen_84, this is a stock part for the Buses that have the Behr in-dash a/c. There are a/c vents where the radio normally is installed, so they had to find somewhere else to put the radio.
geoffraynak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

printed a new power mirror knob/switch

i have no idea what the original one looked like ... but i decided to print one that looked like all the other switches on the van.

fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

I have to post my compliments to Uniwerks.

I installed the Cluster Master kit for my brother but discovered that some gorilla had been in there before and butchered the plastic on the cluster...cracks in the plastic and plastic just busted off. No care at all taken with the fragile plastic.

I was googling for Vanagon plastic bits and stumbled on the Uniwerks web site. I couldn't believe that there was a fix for the 4 points of securing the cluster to the dash. Two were busted on the cluster and here are 2 pics....before and after. The cluster is now secured to the dash and it's not wiggling at all.

Before:

After:

Beautiful in its simplicity.

Thanks Uniwerks!
1985 Vanagon GL 7-passenger van (manual) - "Braunkuh"
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (auto)
2003 Subaru Legacy L wagon (auto)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the cluster clips. I needed them and then found the flywheel inspection cover I was looking for too!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

how about a cover for the battery box that has a recessed lip on it so you can avoid all the screws?

and plastic so there is no danger of shorting out the terminals
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

fyrgrrl wrote:
I have to post my compliments to Uniwerks.

I installed the Cluster Master kit for my brother but discovered that some gorilla had been in there before and butchered the plastic on the cluster...cracks in the plastic and plastic just busted off. No care at all taken with the fragile plastic.

I was googling for Vanagon plastic bits and stumbled on the Uniwerks web site. I couldn't believe that there was a fix for the 4 points of securing the cluster to the dash. Two were busted on the cluster and here are 2 pics....before and after. The cluster is now secured to the dash and it's not wiggling at all.

Before:

After:

Beautiful in its simplicity.

Thanks Uniwerks!

It doesn't take a brute to wreck these little brittle tabs. A number of ins and outs over the years will wreck them unless you're really careful. Evidence is that this stainless steel kit has been available from GoWesty for years. I have it in 2 vans. Smile

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/23954/instrument-cluster-mounting-tab-kit-?v=

But that doesn't belong in a 3D Printing thread, so I won't add a picture. Smile

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Wanted to give credit to Chris at Uniwerks for awesome products and great customer service. Much appreciated. Bob

uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

The a/c vent that runs across the top of the windshield on my 1985 van was obstructive to my view and starting to crack near the support screws so it had to go. I modeled and 3D printed this "controls pod" and moved the vents to the middle duct. I gained about 2" of windshield real estate and the air is much more forceful now than it was out of the front vents. I'd be happy to share the file if anyone wants it.

unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Thank you all for the kind words, I really appreciate it! I love making products to help us enjoy our quirky vans!! Wink

Cheers
Chris

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 24

Jump to: