Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Door Hinge Hardware
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

I'm replacing some bearings on my sliding door and noticed that the Sliding Door Hinge Cap has broken off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It appears that this cap is mostly for esthetics. It looks virtually impossible to replace, but Bus Lab has them: https://www.buslab.com/product-p/251843390a.htm

Is there a clever way to replace this cap without removing the pin and freeing the spring, or am I better off just letting it go?

Last edited by Nuthin2It on Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Cap Reply with quote

Huh,, just went and checked mine, and it's broken also.
From your picture, it looks like the pin isn't holding back the spring. Dunno if it's due to the position the hinge is at in your picture? I'd guess you could drift the pin out easily enough cuz I don't believe there's spring force pushing up on the pin. I think the pin is just to put tension on the spring at certain points of the hinge travel.
Think I'm gonna order up one RIGHT NOW, cuz, I'd suspect there's gonna be a run on these caps purty shortly.....
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Cap Reply with quote

It looks loose because of the position of the hinge. You're right, though, the pin is not holding the spring down; it's just for rotational tension. I wonder how hard it would be to remove that pin? If I could get it off, I could also replace the broken o-ring!

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Cap Reply with quote

The pin is a press fit. It's possible but it's not easy. Take the whole assembly off the door.
The gaskets are NLA...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

Hey @Nuthin2It, I kinda jumped the gun, took my hinge apart before I received the new hinge cap. Not my normal operating mode..
My pin just drifted out. Just a few taps, then using a thin punch, tapped it the rest of the way out.
The interior of my hinge was FILTHY, great to clean it up and relube it.
Just make sure you note how the pin and spring is oriented to the rest of the hinge.
Thanx for posting about this!
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

I tried tapping out the pin above the spring to replace the cap and the pin didn't budge. I decided that even if I were able to bang it loose, the end would be mushroomed and I'd never get it off anyway. I gave up.

After much searching I found the Upper Sliding Door Support Seal, part number 251843356 at Brickwerks. This is the seal above the roller bracket. As Alika T3 said, the other seals are NLA. Interesting that the seal I got is not the same as the original one:

The OEM seal is on the left.

I accidentally ordered a Delrin Rear Arm Roller Bearing from GoWesty and decided to go ahead and install it. I could not get that safety nut started. I gave up and just used the nut from the old metal roller. I sent an email to GoWesty complaining about the nut and said I didn't use it. Mike Wiehl wrote back and said that nut was important because the Delrin roller could break, in which case the door would fall off. Good point. I found a bolt that the original nut easily threaded onto by hand and used it to loosen the threads in the safety nut. I had to use a wrench to do this. Only then did the safety nut screw on, albeit with some difficulty.

do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

For the slider hinge, maybe try tapping the pin from the other side?
I've now done 2, and they both came out quite easily.

I don't really think that cap is gonna last, I've checked several Vanagons and they all had broken caps. Can't see how those caps get broken, it seems really well protected where it's at.
The one thing nice about tearing that apart, is that the pivots of both that I've done were very crusty inside, so, if nothing else, they're now cleaned and lubed with waterproof grease for the rest of their lives..

As for the rest of the slider rollers,, if you wanna wow and amaze other people, especially yourself, try this;
http://sparkofimagination.com/yahoo_site_admin/ass...110556.pdf

I think he handed off sales for this kit to a frequent Samba member, who may weigh in on this thread.

Hope you lock-tited that GW roller safety nut..
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

do.dah wrote:
I think he handed off sales for this kit to a frequent Samba member, who may weigh in on this thread...

Sparks website says sold to these guys

https://www.vanavation.com/sliding-door-bearings.html

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
do.dah wrote:
I think he handed off sales for this kit to a frequent Samba member, who may weigh in on this thread...

Sparks website says sold to these guys

Jim Howard (Spark of Imagination) remains a dear friend of mine.

VANAVATION is my website.
Both the basic bearings kit (my exclusive items) and the Deluxe kit (which also includes added items needed to complete the total bearings & rollers upgrade) are in stock.

Happy to answer any questions.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

Just got my "quiet" rollers from Vanavation, can't wait to get them installed. Look and feel like a quality product!

I also have the broken black plastic cap on the hinge, got a replacement and will report back after I pull the sliding door for general overhaul including new door seal and slider bearings.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Just got my "quiet" rollers from Vanavation, can't wait to get them installed. Look and feel like a quality product!

I also have the broken black plastic cap on the hinge, got a replacement and will report back after I pull the sliding door for general overhaul including new door seal and slider bearings.

Here's a video on removing / installing the 1985-1991 sliding door:
https://youtu.be/ZoQBnU19XU0

Jim Davis
VANAVATION[/youtube]

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

So here's a follow up to my rebuilding of hinge.
Original condition of hinge, not too bad but sticky and broken cap.
I didn't take a bunch of pictures of the rebuilding, it's pretty straight forward. Just be gentle with the seals, clean up all the old grease, take note of what goes where.
The pin holding the spring taps out easily, there's no tension on spring.

Regreased and added quiet rollers from GW and Vanavation.

Cleaned up and rebuilt the lower roller set also. (top roller from Vanavation uses same grey roller as this)

Along with these upgrades I also cleaned up, sanded, and repainted all the running surfaces of the sliding door.

Overall there is a noticeable difference in the noise level of the sliding door movement. However there is still that clunk when the door seats home, not much can be done about that, it's the design.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

Keep an eye on the outer track rollers since you have a Syncro.

With off-roading and washboards, I popped one of the 608 size bearings rubber off the roller, but they were a different brand than the ones you have here.

I had to find a skateboard shop in Mexico to replace them on the go.
Also the V-roller can break as well. It didn't happen to me, but 2 different people I know via IG using the GW roller had it happen (on Syncros again).

I have a copy of the factory V-roller and rounded lower track roller made of Delrin, I asked a machinist in France to make me a small batch when I was considering selling quiet roller kit years ago. I decided not to and kept them for my use at the shop instead. So far so good on these rollers.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

Yeah, I can see where that plastic V roller could take a beating if the door isn't supported by the catch. I'll carry a spare.
I think UHMW might be a good choice for the V roller. That stuff is almost indestructible. It's a bit softer than Delrin so the bearing seat might be a problem, but would love to try. Wish I still had access to a lathe!

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Yeah, I can see where that plastic V roller could take a beating if the door isn't supported by the catch. I'll carry a spare.
I think UHMW might be a good choice for the V roller. That stuff is almost indestructible. It's a bit softer than Delrin so the bearing seat might be a problem, but would love to try. Wish I still had access to a lathe!

You can order machined stuff online these days, but doing it yourself is free labor Laughing

I can send you the drawings, they were posted years ago on the forum, I think a guy from Eastern Europe made them back then.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
I didn't take a bunch of pictures of the rebuilding, it's pretty straight forward. Just be gentle with the seals, clean up all the old grease, take note of what goes where.

Cleaned up and rebuilt the lower roller set also. (top roller from Vanavation uses same grey roller as this)

Along with these upgrades I also cleaned up, sanded, and repainted all the running surfaces of the sliding door.

Overall there is a noticeable difference in the noise level of the sliding door movement. However there is still that clunk when the door seats home, not much can be done about that, it's the design.

Boy howdy, that is the cleanest nicest looking door mechanisms I have seen, inspiration to get mine into better condition.
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Hardware Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

These "Quiet-Glide" bearings were out of stock for a while in Nov-early Dec, but are now back in stock. Very Happy

My VANAVATION site:

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: