Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinders and boost
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Cylinders and boost Reply with quote

Im looking for a little info from folks with experience.... With my current build, I am planning on using AA thickwall 92 cyls, run E85 FI and a turbo. This will be my first turbo... so Im no expert. I keep debating if I should stick with this plan or switch to 94mm cyls and the squishy pistons from Aircooled.net. I have read stories of people cracking cyls from boost,... but how much boost will a 94mm cyl take on a regular basis? This will be a street car and not just a limited use drag car.
Any feedback would be appreciated
Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine builder Stan Pobjoy runs (I think) 20psi through his 1916 from an ex-Mustang Eaton blower. It's in an open wheeler and runs injected meth Smile
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt, I've runn 15-18lbs without issues Cool Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of new cylinders are jagged on the top id and or od.get rid of the jagged edges and you have a lot less chance of spliting/cracking them. I have a set of AA's that are horriffic.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go 94 and get the squishy pistons.

It is true that with more heat and compression the service life of the cylinder will be shorter, but cracking one is almost always a detonation problem, no matter if they admit it or not.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have split an AA cylinder with boost and too much heat. You won't be running reliably anything more than about 12Lbs on the street so you should be fine as long as your cooling system is up to par and your timing never allows detonation. Both combinations are great. The thickwalled Turbo or the squishy 94's. I went with wiseco's and 94's but if I was really going for reliability I would have gone with thicker cylinders for the insurance.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: