Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glassing on a Manx Dash
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

3/20

Well Spring showed up here on the OBX and we had sunny and 60F weather. Since I am waiting on parts for Brian's chassis I decided to glass the dash on Paul's yellow Manx.

I started by grinding/sanding the edge fair. (not bad just a little glue from PO.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I then sanded the inside edge of the hood so the glass would bond better.

The dash tends to be a little off square out of the mold so you can grind/sand it to match the hood. If it is close you do not need to worry about it since it will be covered by the windshield seal.

I took some welding clamps and clamped the sides of the hood/dash together. (Do this about mid way on the side) I used a piece of wood to protect the outside of the gel coat.

You will/may not be able to get the top corners to match since (I believe) the dash mold was made from the ABS dash that went under the hood. You can see that the hood has an almost square corner and the dash is rounded.

I then took some screws with fender washers and ran them through the holes the the PO put on the hood edge. I used these to "pinch" the dash and hood together. (Saw this in another post)

This helps to get the dash and hood lined up and flat.

I then taped the joint and holes to keep resin from coming through.

Next on to the glassing. You want to glass between the fender washers. I put 3 layers of 2 oz mat. down.

You really want to get it layered up on the corners and the sides. There is a lot of pressure after the clamps come off and you want it to hold up.

After the resin cures, the next step is to remove the screws.

You want to move the clamps up to the top edge of the hood/dash.

This allows the hood and dash to keep that inward curve that the dash has.

Tape up the holes and joint and glass over the areas. Use 2-3 layers.

Again, really lay it up in the corners and the sides.

After the resin cures, remove the tape and clean up the joint with acetone.

Not the best pictures, but they show the corners and how they do not match perfectly.

Again, this is not a big deal since the windshield frame and seal will cover this area.

I will remove the clamps in the morning, I want to make sure the resin has cured completely.

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

Applause

surfnc this is a very well done post. Thank you for the time spent on going through the steps and taking the time to show lots of great pictures.

Looking forward to the finished dash/hood!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always a great thread, thanks!
Saint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a huge help, great post. I just called the manx shop for a replacement dash, might be doing this changeout in the future.
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: update? Reply with quote

any progress? I think this was a great set of pictures and I am surprised others are not chiming in more on this thread....
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

This is very helpful... great link

My '67 Split Window Bus project :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634144

My '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug Build:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541870
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j1msm1th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

7 years to the day from you posting this thread and I was just sent here to see how to do mine! thanks for the awesome step by step here, and for preemptively answering my concerns about the corners...
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

j1msm1th
Glad to have been of service. Any pictures of your buggy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

I am about to do my 3rd dash install using these instructions. Super helpful!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

Caleb
Glad I was able to be of service.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

Done! They are now one.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

Nice work Caleb!!
j1msm1th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
j1msm1th
Glad to have been of service. Any pictures of your buggy?

sorry, life got in the way of working on things, so now that it's getting brutally hot.... spent some time trying to mock things up and see what I needed to do. got the dash to sit nicely even with the hood, but if I have it tight in the corners etc it's a good 1/8-3/8 of daylight in spots. I put a level on the hood after and tried to see how much rough edge there was in the hood, but it wasnt terrible. I am not sure, you can see it, but I used a red crayon to give an idea. I need to mess with it some more befor I decide if I am going to grind back the hood and dash so they are tight or get the sides and corners to be good and fill in the gaps with fiberglass and resin.

surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

Keep in mind the windshield frame and seal will cover all that.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
Done! They are now one.

I love the simplicity of that dash. Stock speedometer, light switch, and ignition switch. We don't need no stinkin wipers. Smile

Going with an aftermarket GPS speedometer means I had to add 4 warning light holes on my current buggy.
j1msm1th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
Keep in mind the windshield frame and seal will cover all that.

yeah - that is what I am thinking - I might knock down some of the lumps to see if i can get it a little closer to get it as square as I can.

oh - while I am picking your brain - what is your process for prepping the fiberglass to seal/primer etc? should I be hand-sanding the body, or a random orbit of DA? what grit do you use?
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

j1msm1th
If your body is gelcoat (which it looks to be) I use a DA with 120 or 80 grit. I then use a heavy coat of high build polyester primer. This will fill the pin holes scratches etc. I then sand that with 120 and a DA. (I hand sand the edges, DA the flats) I then shoot another coat to make sure all fiberglass is covered. Then guide coat and block sand with 320 or 400 grit. If you are going to flake it you can stop here. If you are going to use a solid color I would prime it with a primer that is compatible with the top coat. The poly will most likely be compatible but you need to make sure
j1msm1th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
j1msm1th
If your body is gelcoat (which it looks to be) I use a DA with 120 or 80 grit. I then use a heavy coat of high build polyester primer. This will fill the pin holes scratches etc. I then sand that with 120 and a DA. (I hand sand the edges, DA the flats) I then shoot another coat to make sure all fiberglass is covered. Then guide coat and block sand with 320 or 400 grit. If you are going to flake it you can stop here. If you are going to use a solid color I would prime it with a primer that is compatible with the top coat. The poly will most likely be compatible but you need to make sure

yeah, It's gonna get flaked. It's the original Gelcoat, when I got it and realized there was flake under the brown primer I had high hopes for it, but there are spots where the gel is just shot. but I did find five lb buckets of the meadowbrook golden orange in 0.008 and 0.015 for $20... so it's gonna get repairs and then an idiot is going to attempt flaking! though, ironically my recovering Goth wife is very unsure about me with glitter in our yard.

thanks for the advice!
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

What is the reason for this? Not taking away from it, I think it looks great, much cleaner than what I have. On the 2 that I have worked on, the dash panel is separate, meaning once I remove the windshield and hood, I can access all the wiring from the top. Also the steering column can stay in place. Do you have multi wire connectors to disconnect the dash from the wire harness? I feel like it would be a lot harder to work on with it as a single piece.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

dhubz wrote:
What is the reason for this? Not taking away from it, I think it looks great, much cleaner than what I have. On the 2 that I have worked on, the dash panel is separate, meaning once I remove the windshield and hood, I can access all the wiring from the top. Also the steering column can stay in place. Do you have multi wire connectors to disconnect the dash from the wire harness? I feel like it would be a lot harder to work on with it as a single piece.

I have wondered this too, as my dash is separate also. Just the way a Manx is designed?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: