Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

towing an automatic 4 miles - do I need to disconnect cv's?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: towing an automatic 4 miles - do I need to disconnect cv's? Reply with quote

Ive got a 4 mile tow... engine is out on my newly purchased 84 2wd vanagon.. Ive read about how the cv's need to be pulled to tow a auto if rear wheels are on the ground. With such a short distance, should I just tow strap it? Will such a short distance likely do any damage or should I just buck up and have the tow truck pick it up?

Advantage is if I was towing I could run through the car wash and vacuum the mess I bought so my wife doesn't totally freak out. If I have it towed I wont have this opportunity.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can tow an AT for 4 miles (under 35mph) according to the owners manual
BUT

you say the engine is out? how is the Transmission supported then?
dangling on a chain/rope? may not be a good idea.. what happens if it twists a little and a CV binds then BANG. POP... POOP...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its supported currently by a strap tie-down. True - I dont want the trans to be kissing asphalt. Maybe I'll just have it towed.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you do if say you are on the highway and you break down. Along comes a regular old tow truck to rescue you. He can not very well tow you backwards down the highway to keep the rear wheels off the ground.

I have an automatic. What do I do? I can't count on Mr. Tow Truck Driver to know?

I say, "No thank you Mr. Tow Truck Driver who has come to save me and my children, you are about to ruin my Vanagon (transmission and/or CV joints?). Please go away and come back with a tow bed OR that thing that gets my back wheels off the ground."

Right?

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
I have an automatic. What do I do? I can't count on Mr. Tow Truck Driver to know?

I say, "No thank you Mr. Tow Truck Driver who has come to save me and my children, you are about to ruin my Vanagon (transmission and/or CV joints?). Please go away and come back with a tow bed OR that thing that gets my back wheels off the ground."

When you call for a tow, they should ask you what kind of car it is: front or rear wheel drive, full time 4 wheel drive, automatic, etc. and send out a truck that is set up to haul your rig safely.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you can ask for a flat bed...?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is moved 4 any reason, make sure it's in neutral/shifter, & park brake off.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tow a Vanagon automatic on the rear wheels behind an old fashioned tow truck, it will quickly destroy the automatic section. The automatic pump needs to be running to cool the ATF and the transmission. The pump is driven by the engine so no engine no pump.

In my days I saw more than one VW automatic destroyed by being towed on the driven wheels. To the original poster, as stated you should be fine, but I would also be concerned about how well the automatic is supported for the tow. Realize it depends on the engine to support it. The spinning axles will put some load to it.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No of course you can't count on MR tow truck driver to know, that's why it's your due diligence in owning the vehicle to consult the owners manual.

which states (in reverse language) that an AT be towed with it's rear wheels off the ground or supported on wheel dollies. nearly ALL lift boom wreckers MUST have wheel dollies at this day&age as it's necessary for any AWD vehicles and there are many, many more these days.. subaru, audi, toyota etc..

tam_shops wrote:
What do you do if say you are on the highway and you break down. Along comes a regular old tow truck to rescue you. He can not very well tow you backwards down the highway to keep the rear wheels off the ground.

Right?

tam

here's the page from the oem (1985) owners manual scanned and hosted here in the Technical (above tool bar) section of TheSamba
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! It's been years and years since I've had to phone for a tow truck, don't recall ever being asked that, but will make a note on my AAA card to *tell* Ms. Tow Truck Call Centre that I either need a tow bed OR wheel dollies.
Wildthings wrote:

When you call for a tow, they should ask you what kind of car it is: front or rear wheel drive, full time 4 wheel drive, automatic, etc. and send out a truck that is set up to haul your rig safely.

Thank you, got it. "Please go away Mr. Tow Truck Driver and return with wheel dollies or a flat bed. You will ruin my pump thing and my AT on my RWD vehicle." I won't add, you should know that Mr. Tow Truck Driver or he might not come back at all. Wink
rsxsr wrote:
If you tow a Vanagon automatic on the rear wheels behind an old fashioned tow truck, it will quickly destroy the automatic section. The automatic pump needs to be running to cool the ATF and the transmission. The pump is driven by the engine so no engine no pump.

In my days I saw more than one VW automatic destroyed by being towed on the driven wheels. To the original poster, as stated you should be fine, but I would also be concerned about how well the automatic is supported for the tow. Realize it depends on the engine to support it. The spinning axles will put some load to it.

Thank you, got it! And, will read that manual again this summer. I read it last summer for camping fun, but there was a lot of information and I didn't absorb it all. I do vaguely remember not to tow it w/ rear wheels down, but I didn't realize it was at all, even at a slow speed to get you off highway. So, then I pictured Mr. Tow Truck Driver w/ my Vanagon backwards going down the highway, not so safe and he might scratch it. Wink I also remember the tows and wrecks thread w/ several (probably Syncros) on flat beds. Seems the safer way to go...And, know if I do not know what you are talking about, Mr. Tow Truck Driver just might treat me like a Dumb Blond. Cool
danfromsyr wrote:
No of course you can't count on MR tow truck driver to know, that's why it's your due diligence in owning the vehicle to consult the owners manual.

which states (in reverse language) that an AT be towed with it's rear wheels off the ground or supported on wheel dollies. nearly ALL lift boom wreckers MUST have wheel dollies at this day&age as it's necessary for any AWD vehicles and there are many, many more these days.. subaru, audi, toyota etc..

here's the page from the oem (1985) owners manual scanned and hosted here in the Technical (above tool bar) section of TheSamba
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSTS
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall a thread where someone kicked their automatic into neutral at the top of a long grade and the tranny died before they got to the bottom. I think this was with the engine running, but I really don't remember.
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we got the van towed home safely. Since it was such a short distance, we just used a tow strap and kept it under 30... no problems at all - other than people rolling down their windows to tell me what a cool ride i had. In 4 miles it happened 3 times! is that normal vanagon fanfare?

Now that its in the driveway, it just brings a smile to my face whenever i see it. DAMN its cool - even without a motor in it yet...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: