Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet SyncroBo our Expedition Syncro build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall I won't make Mog Fest but, I did make Syncro Fest for a few hours. Was able to see Burley and look at some of his great display including " Rommel " the 50KM old Tri Star Syncro that Doug owns.....what a time piece. Right now its one step forward and 2 back on the Westy build. My wife has me tasked with a bedroom remodel which I'm 70% to completion lucky for me she has to travel for work next week and the floor guys are scheduled in for refinishing the original hardwood floor. I'll have 4 days of peace to devote to making my new set of TGI engine carriers fit my 1.8T ( thanks Tony....the parts are awesome! ) I wish I had gone with the German Motorwekes 1.8T kit with its Burley hardware I would have been going along smoothly now. That's what I get for putting Burley Syncro 16 parts on my van! Kind of glad my clearance problem cropped up because I like the design of the Burley/TGI style engine carrier bars a lot better than the ones that came with my kit. I'll shoot some photos of my install within the next few weeks.
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool build.

I didn't see the power door lock actuator in the sliding door. This is a very very awesome accessory with good aftermarket alternatives. You gotta get that going if you haven't already. Other than that I have nothing else I could add to this awesome rig.

Just a regular guy
kiomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Chapter up and posted! Left out a lot of little details, but if anyone has specific questions let me know. I know there are a lot of van in prep for expeditions, so if we can help in anyway let us know.

@otiswesty I left it out of the details, but we did add central locking and a full alarm system with remote kill switches and other security goodies, but I didn't go into detail here Smile @zeohsix I am bummed i missed out on Syncro Fest. Burley, Doug and the whole crew are awesome people. I am going to head out to visit this summer, before we head to Africa.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BUILD DETAILS Reply with quote

kiomon wrote:

We also needed to tackle lighting. We decide on a large 50-inch light bar from the guys at a Rigid Industries and some smaller sidelights and smaller light bar for the front bumper. The challenge was how to mount the big light bar above the windshield. Most other off roaders use the front pillars beside the windshield but on a vanagon there isn't very much metal there to attach to. Burley came up with an awesome solution coming off the rain gutters but I wanted a solution that we could also remove. So we asked him to fab something designed back on standard mounting components that would allow us to quickly take it all down if we wanted. Or even move the lights to another type of vehicle.

50” Light Bar
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DSC_6482 by RandallBrownIII, on Flickr

Side lights

DSC_6485 by RandallBrownIII, on Flickr

I wish he'd sell those light bars and mounts... I know I'd be one of the first to sign up... Always been my favorite!
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Syncro Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Randall, It was great to have you over. And cool to have that Syncro next to mine. Got to look at it for a few weeks. Nice that it's all done, if you are ever back in AZ. Look us up! Joseph Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that has to be the best front view of a Syncro that I've ever seen! Shocked

Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if you mentioned this and I missed it, but where is the rock and roll bed from? Nice build!
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BUILD DETAILS Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
kiomon wrote:

We also needed to tackle lighting. We decide on a large 50-inch light bar from the guys at a Rigid Industries and some smaller sidelights and smaller light bar for the front bumper. The challenge was how to mount the big light bar above the windshield. Most other off roaders use the front pillars beside the windshield but on a vanagon there isn't very much metal there to attach to. Burley came up with an awesome solution coming off the rain gutters but I wanted a solution that we could also remove. So we asked him to fab something designed back on standard mounting components that would allow us to quickly take it all down if we wanted. Or even move the lights to another type of vehicle.

I wish he'd sell those light bars and mounts... I know I'd be one of the first to sign up... Always been my favorite!

have you tried contacting Burl? Im sure he would be more than happy to make you some mounts and steer you in the right direction for the light bar Very Happy
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: BUILD DETAILS Reply with quote

zeohsix wrote:
have you tried contacting Burl? Im sure he would be more than happy to make you some mounts and steer you in the right direction for the light bar Very Happy

I'll do that today... =)
kiomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@signalocity the bed was sourced from England. It needed to be adapter for a Vanagon as it was originally for a T2. So we had to build up a platform in the back, which turned out to be a godsend for storage Smile

Let me see if I can find you a link to it, been a while
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiomon wrote:
@signalocity the bed was sourced from England. It needed to be adapter for a Vanagon as it was originally for a T2. So we had to build up a platform in the back, which turned out to be a godsend for storage Smile

Let me see if I can find you a link to it, been a while

Cool thanks, I thought that might be the case. I might have a link to a vanagon specific one that I had found a while back. They are much more common over there it seems. I might have to call on some of my U.K. relatives Very Happy
LeftCoastKiteboarding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it in your writeup, but do you have a range (stove)? If so, what is it powered by?

I'd love to ditch the propane system buy love my stove!
kiomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeftCoastKiteboarding wrote:
Maybe I missed it in your writeup, but do you have a range (stove)? If so, what is it powered by?

I'd love to ditch the propane system buy love my stove!

We used an induction cooktop most of the time that we just kept in the cabinet, but we also have a smev cooktop that runs on propane, and we adapted it to you little coleman canisters.
kiomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we have been a bit silent since posting this because we have been on the road. We went over to Europe and tackled from England into Russia and back. It was an awesome experience. Overall, everything worked as designed on SyncroBo. We had no major issues, except a dead alternator because we pressure washed it Sad. There are some thoughts if i were to do this all again, i would consider. I will find some time to write that up in the next week or so. But until then...

We made some fun videos of our times, and i am putting them below in case you haven't seen them.

Wales, with some VW buds. the beautiful thing about owning a VW is that there is an awesome community around the world. While we were in London, a VW owner from Wales hit us up on Instagram, and invited us to come hang with his friends and family in Wales. We took him up on the offer. Great people.

Link

19x6
At the end of Europe, we decided to make a fun little compilation of our journey and made this little short.

Link

SyncroBo is currently in storage. When we completed our Europe project, we got a little sidetracked with another build....(SyncroBo does make a cameo in the video below)

Link

We are now heading to Argentina, and its been a bit surreal as we still go nuts when we see a Vanagon and wave wildly, and we have to remind ourselves that we are in a Mog now and it confuses our VW brothers when we go nuts. Laughing

Last edited by kiomon on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randall!

awesome build all over, I like your new toy too Wink

Alika ( Webasto diesel questions dude Wink )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be really interested to know about that big wrinkle in the body ,just ahead of the rear wheel well..very visible at about 41seconds.
Is this caused by the massive rear end load, and offroad driving ?

Link
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE IT!!!!

I just pulled the trigger on a Mog last Friday. Good stuff.

Enjoy Argentina
kiomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
I'd be really interested to know about that big wrinkle in the body ,just ahead of the rear wheel well..very visible at about 41seconds.
Is this caused by the massive rear end load, and offroad driving ?

That my friend was caused by an unfortunate experience with a suspension that was too soft and some some off-roading that was too severe (maybe a bit of poor driving in there too) while having a utility tray on board in the rear hitch. We went through a number of suspension set ups and testing to dial this in. At the time there weren't fully adjustable and customizable suspensions floating around. Some of it had to be old fashioned testing. I am pumped Burl has his new Radflo set-up now, as that would have saved a lot lot time and $$$.

I was super concerned about it, I took it to two frame shops and they both said the unibody structure is fine, that bottoming out severely caused the panel to buckle inward. Later model syncros have panel reinforcements in the rear, presumably to fight against this. I measured the deflection and size of the dent and it hasn't changed over 10k mile of rough terrain since.

Both shops offered to pull the dent for a few hundred, but I am saving the refurbishment until after one more major trip. At that point I will make SyncroBo pretty again. The area also kissed a concrete pole in France at a carrefour, so it's it's double whammy

So long story, too soft suspension off roading and bottoming out. I do NOT think the tire rack nor gas cans contributed beyond being additional weight for the suspension to handle.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiomon wrote:

So long story, too soft suspension off roading and bottoming out. I do NOT think the tire rack nor gas cans contributed beyond being additional weight for the suspension to handle.

Thankyou for the feedback, its really good to hear it direct from someone who actually did the work.
Love your videos..and just the flatout adventurous spirit of it all Very Happy

I always worry about overloading my bumper and swing out, when offroading, so keep it pretty conservative weight wise and as close as I can to the body.
Do you know what part of the frame moved to put that wrinkle there?
Is it mirrored on the other side?
Just guessing, I would think rear frame(engine carrier) bent pivoting on the shock mounts
I would think this could affect driveline balance causing vibration
...anything you noticed?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
kiomon wrote:

Thankyou for the feedback, its really good to hear it direct from someone who actually did the work.
Love your videos..and just the flatout adventurous spirit of it all Very Happy

I always worry about overloading my bumper and swing out, when offroading, so keep it pretty conservative weight wise and as close as I can to the body.
Do you know what part of the frame moved to put that wrinkle there?
Is it mirrored on the other side?
Just guessing, I would think rear frame(engine carrier) bent pivoting on the shock mounts
I would think this could affect driveline balance causing vibration
...anything you noticed?

Get some coffee

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7306117#7306117
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: