Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet SyncroBo our Expedition Syncro build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Get some coffee

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7306117#7306117

Damn Shocked
Thanks Alika, appreciated
kiomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:

I always worry about overloading my bumper and swing out, when offroading, so keep it pretty conservative weight wise and as close as I can to the body.
Do you know what part of the frame moved to put that wrinkle there?
Is it mirrored on the other side?
Just guessing, I would think rear frame(engine carrier) bent pivoting on the shock mounts
I would think this could affect driveline balance causing vibration
...anything you noticed?

That thread Alika Referenced is a great one with all the theories. I wish I had seen it earlier because I would have jumped in. I love people theorizing on the interwebs, particularly with Microsoft paint Smile. I remember exactly when this happened. We were in Moab testing another setup and we bottomed out HARD, with about 200 extra lbs in the back on a utility tray. Sad I am a bit OCD when it comes to BO, so I pulled the entire interior so the guys could really get in there and review. One shop was old school taking measurements and the other was high tech with lasers. They couldn't find any signs of 'permanent deflection of the unibody'. Both of their theory was that it flexed temporarily and that caused the sheet metal to distort there because it's unsupported. They both thought that it could happen again in the same circumstances and that the best approach was preventing that much force from getting transfered. There are no vibes in our driveline at all, no issues closing doors or hatches.

For me the big takeaway Vanagon takeaway is about spring rates and suspension to prevent this from happening. If you build up the van, then I think it warrants weighing it and getting a knowledgeable person to customize your spring rates as a minimum. Burl was our key to getting it dialed in, unfortunately this happened before we got together to do that.

The other big thing to remember is that our vans are lightweight vehicles, that are capable of amazing feats, but they are still lightweight. The reason we ended up with a Mog is because as filmmakers we simply had too much stuff for SyncroBo. To load him with all of our equipment makes him too heavy. It was nice to come back to states this summer and take Bo out for a two week US trip without all the film gear. It was a revalation actually, as I was considering selling him, I fell in love again. These vans are the ultimate Swiss Army knife of campers, but keep them as light as your mission allows. i am writing more about it in an upcoming post of lessons learned that may help future builders and over landers.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Meet SyncroBo our Expedition Syncro build Reply with quote

Enjoyed these posts and the videos were fun.
Where's SyncroBo now?

Regarding that transaxle cover, current opinion says it will overheat the transaxle and the mainshaft bearing bore will wear out quickly.
Any feedback on that notion?

Did you ever try to pull that crease out of the rear body?
Does that require 'pushing the rear section' back up with a frame machine?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet SyncroBo our Expedition Syncro build Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Enjoyed these posts and the videos were fun.
Where's SyncroBo now?

Regarding that transaxle cover, current opinion says it will overheat the transaxle and the mainshaft bearing bore will wear out quickly.
Any feedback on that notion?

Did you ever try to pull that crease out of the rear body?
Does that require 'pushing the rear section' back up with a frame machine?

Might be awhile waiting for a reply. Kiomon hasn't been on site since 12/2016 (at least posting).

About the Bostig transaxle cover. I have one of these, they are bomb-proof but heavy. I only put it on if planning rough treatment.
I did drill a couple holes with a hole-saw to try lightening and maybe better airflow but that's a long slow process, one I'll put off until I can get the rest cut with plasma!
A external transmission oil cooler might be best bet if running the cover full time.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: