Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro front outer CV boots - Which brand?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Syncro front outer CV boots - Which brand? Reply with quote

I did do a search and found some comments, but I couldn't really get a grasp on which front outer CV boots are going the distance.

The choices seem to be GKN/Lobro, Neapco, Raybestos and Beck/Arnley.

The Raybestos "professional Grade" boots come with a 2 year warranty. Now, I'm not really into warranties and such, but I would think that if they offer a two year warranty, the boots will hopefully last at least that long and not split in a few months like some of the inner front/rear CV boots that I have experienced.

GKN/Lobro would seem to be a logical choice, but their front inner/rear CV boots haven't proven to be all that great lately so it makes me wonder about their front outer boots.

Beck/Arnley boots claim to be neoprene...for what it's worth.

I have no experience with anything Neapco.

Quite honestly, I'm just looking to buy the best boots that I can and don't really care which brand that is as long as they last for a reasonable amount of time. So what is your personal experience with any of these boots?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn

Hot topic around the globe.
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris I can't offer too much to help as three of the four brands you have mentioned are North American and I can only agree that gkn boots have definitely declined in recent years. What I have found to make a massive difference to boot longevity is to not secure the small end tightly to the axle. When I fit new boots I don't fit any clamps or zip ties to the small end at all. The elasticity of the boot is all you need to prevent leaks. When dealing with old boots a loosely fitted zip tie works for me. My van is at max height for 100mm cvj and I was regularly splitting cv boots till I did this. The only down side would be fording rivers with hot cvj and possibly ingesting water. Worth a try and if you are not happy you can clamp after without disassembly. Greg
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally with not banding the boot on the small end permanently with a band clamp.
Pushing the boot towards the cv and past the ridges in the shaft, than using a zip tie to keep the boot closed, but able to move if pulled upon has helped me with all boots, stock, 944 and 930.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! I am going to try the Raybestos brand. They aren't really a horrible job to change out so if they don't last, I will move on to something else.

And Greg, thanks for the tip on leaving the clamp off of the small side. I will definitely try that.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
I bet the boots are neoprene,as every Raybestos boot that I have installed on a Subaru was neoprene,and they are truly identical to OEM(if not the same mfg.).
I recently posted some info on the inners/2WD boots made of neoprene.

Let us know!

Last edited by kalispell365 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post a link to the urethane boots.
Thanks
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased (4)of these. GKN Lobro
They are the harder boot that I have on mine now.

https://qeautoparts.com/catalog/category/view/s/cv-parts/id/4144/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Dylan.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=588837&highlight=

BUT, I realize after posting this that I confused urethane with neoprene in my previous posting...Im sorry!

Not enough coffee yet.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up my Raybestos-branded front outer CV boots. They are made from the exact same material as the Moog-branded neoprene front inner/rear CV boots and the build date/time markings and part number locations are the same (different numbers, same locations), so I'm going to venture to guess that these boots are made by the same company and probably in the same plant. I'll get them installed and continue to report.

boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of some photos of those markings Chris. It would be interesting to see if they match anything we get here in Oz or if they are a genuine USA production.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, Boof!

Here is the Moog-branded front inner/rear CV boot -

86-1086C

I'm guessing that these are the date and/or time stamps

Here is the Raybestos-branded Syncro front outer CV boot -

86408C

Both boxes say Made in the USA, but there are no "Made in" markings on the actual parts.

boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. Totally believable that they are a local product. I have fitted various boots from Germany, Italy and China, none of their markings match those.
I stumbled on this gkn motorsport catalogue the other day. Lots of cool stuff but check out the "fast boots". I have seen these before on locally made GM rear wheel drive cars and assumed that they would not work with maximum articulation but they are not suggesting any such limit in their catalogue.
http://www.gknservice.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Brochures/English/Motorsport_Catalogue.pdf
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those numbers on the boots look a lot like EMPI numbers. The front outer boot with 86408 matches a mold number that EMPI says is for their 86-2268 product. If you look up 86-2268D it is the Syncro front outer kit from EMPI.

http://www.empius.com/acatalog/PDFs/2013_A_Catalog-CV_Boot_Mold_Numbers.pdf

Mark
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPI Shocked
Run for the hills
coyot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Syncro boots Reply with quote

Are there any new up dates on syncro cv boots? I have a 3" lift on my doka and boots don't last very long. Any suggestions?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro boots Reply with quote

coyot wrote:
Are there any new up dates on syncro cv boots? I have a 3" lift on my doka and boots don't last very long. Any suggestions?

What is your axle nut to fender lip measurement?
Read up on CV angles.
A "3" lift" should take the CVs beyond their workable range and will stress the boots as well.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Those numbers on the boots look a lot like EMPI numbers. The front outer boot with 86408 matches a mold number that EMPI says is for their 86-2268 product. If you look up 86-2268D it is the Syncro front outer kit from EMPI.

http://www.empius.com/acatalog/PDFs/2013_A_Catalog-CV_Boot_Mold_Numbers.pdf

Mark

The thing is, Gowesty sells a ton of these, and they are the only ones made of neoprene out there...does anyone ACTUALLY have any experience over time with these? I know Empi is scary, but maybe these are alright. Both Raybestos and Moog are generally the best American sourced aftermarket replacement parts that I use in my shop. The Raybestos and Moog Subaru cv boots (same material) are indistinguishable from the factory Japanese boots in material, construction, clamps, etc. The Moog neoprene steering rack boots for the Vanagon are also the best that I know...the last "rubber" german rack boots went to dust within 2 years...

I have a set of four of these mentioned boots for my van, and intend to install them. I would love to hear of some feedback.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front outer CV boots - Which brand? Reply with quote

June 2020. Bringing this thread back to life because it deals with the Syncro's front outer boots specifically vs these other threads.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I rebuilt the whole suspension and drive shafts / CVs and boots just two years ago. I used NOS front Lobro GNK axles / CVs that I had been hoarding since 2006.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689657&highlight=
(on a side note, I'm beginning to wonder if these Lobro axles were really NOS I was supposedly sold by VanCafe or rebuilt.)

So I've been recovering from some medical problems and just got around to giving the Syncro a good Spring cleaning after winter trips. When I switched over the winter tires I found one of the front outer CV boots has already split and spewed grease. Just two years used and only about 10,000 miles (or less).

The axles/boots were stored in climate controlled garage. I'm a bit surprised they failed. I know the newer Lobro GKN ones have a poor track record but these should have been the better ones from the past.

The real question now of course is what to use to replace? Rockford, Lobro (supposedly German), EMPI?
I've heard that the Rockford boots are supposed to be better, but there are reports of poor fitment. Being in Canada makes it harder for me to just buy anything and compare and of course replacing the front outer boots is no picnic.

What's the latest track record of Syncro Front Outer CV boot brands?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front outer CV boots - Which brand? Reply with quote

Usually on rebuilt units from GKN they installed the rubber boots on the outer CV`s to keep costs down. Was that rubber that you had?

VW early on switched to thermoplastic boots with a different CV joint OD design for better clamping ( mostly a different groove in a different spot I think) , the factory ones for VW were white, the GKN aftermarket ones are black ( same ones and part number, suffix 2 instead of 1 I seem to recall on the boot itself).

They are the only decent boots out there for now for the outer front.
I will upload a pic of the revision note in French , lemme pull it out.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: