Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My fuel turns yellow then orange.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: My fuel turns yellow then orange. Reply with quote

Below are photos of a glass fuel filter and a sediment bowl.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used the glass filter for several years without problems. It has never leaked and I inspected it and changed the fuel lines regularly. The fuel in both the sediment bowl and the filter have always been clear. Recently I changed the element in the filter and since then the sediment bowl fuel remains clear and the fuel in the filter changes to yellow in a day or two and eventually turns orange.

I suspect that the replacement element was not of the same quality as the original and is dissolving and/or discoloring the fuel. I have removed the filter and replaced the fuel line without a filter.

I had an experience with bad fuel at a gas station in Mojave. Possibly their underground gas tank was partially filled with diesel. I discovered the bad fuel by swirling fuel from my filled tank in a glass jar. (aircraft preflight 101) I installed the sediment bowl thinking that it had a filter. When I found out the sediment bowl did not have a filter I installed the glass filter. I like the idea of being able to see fuel from the fuel pump to the carburetor.

What protection does my carburetor have, other than the sediment bowl, from fuel tank debris? Does my replacement Brazilian fuel pump have a inlet filter? Is there an inlet filter in my carburetor? Perhaps it is time to install a filter at/from the fuel tank.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a sample from the tank.Examine it for discolor in a glass jar. Is the engine running okay?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that color from the filter element itself is coloring the fuel (probably dissolved in the fuel alcohol [thank you, dumbassed government]). This will likely go away in a few hundred gallons. If it's just a tint (no particles), then it should likely do no harm.

You could install a standard aviation fuel sample tap somewhere under the bus, and check the fuel with a standard sample cup during "preflight"... The fuel sample won't be blue, however. (unless you're running 100LL)...

{What do they get for 100LL in Hawaii? Probably scary...]
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
archemitis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Laughing

Modern vehicles dont have a problem with this because you cant see through any hoses.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My fuel turns yellow then orange. Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
What protection does my carburetor have, other than the sediment bowl, from fuel tank debris?

It has the in tank filter screen at the outlet unless you have removed it. It wouldn't remove yellow or orange micro particles but it would remove hunkies. It depends on the size of your definition of debris.
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
I used the glass filter for several years without problems. It has never leaked and I inspected it and changed the fuel lines regularly.

Just an FYI,

Apart from the fire risk of having any filter in the engine compartment near the distributor; the heavier glass filter is more likely to pull the brass fitting out of the carb, unless you have converted it to the threaded type or have it safety wired in…
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
take a sample from the tank.Examine it for discolor in a glass jar. Is the engine running okay?

The fuel in the sediment bowl is clear. The engine runs well. The fuel in the glass filter is clear after the engine is shut down. The fuel in the glass filter turns yellow in a day or two and then orange in a few days. The fuel in the sediment bowl remains clear.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: My fuel turns yellow then orange. Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
What protection does my carburetor have, other than the sediment bowl, from fuel tank debris?

It has the in tank filter screen at the outlet unless you have removed it. It wouldn't remove yellow or orange micro particles but it would remove hunkies. It depends on the size of your definition of debris.

My definition of debris is:
Anything that would cause problems with the carburetor.

I have not seen anything of significance in the sediment bowl or the glass filter.

Aloha
tp
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionhart94010 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
I used the glass filter for several years without problems. It has never leaked and I inspected it and changed the fuel lines regularly.

Just an FYI,

Apart from the fire risk of having any filter in the engine compartment near the distributor; the heavier glass filter is more likely to pull the brass fitting out of the carb, unless you have converted it to the threaded type or have it safety wired in…

I have to agree with this. It has not been a problem in the past/yet. I have replaced the filter with a solid rubber line, but I would like to see the fuel from the pump to the carburetor.

Aloha
tp
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, let me ask you this:

You mentioned buying fuel that may have had diesel in it. Was this at a local gas station? I assume you're on one of the islands out there. I would think you'd be able to fill your tank up with non-ethanol gas at a local marina.
If you're preconceived to eliminate the color of your fuel in the filters visible in the engine compartment, then drain everything out (tank inclusive), put new filter elements in and fill the tank up with non-ethanol gas. See what happens.
But the only filters you really need for an early Bay is the tank strainer, and a filter after that before the front firewall tin. Fuel filters inside the engine compartment as you are aware of is a topic here on Samba that is addressed often.
You can maintain the visible clear fuel filter inside the engine compartment if you want. That's up to you.
Hope this helps Wink
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop looking at the filters...when it starts to run crappy, clean or change them.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody '71 wrote:
... You mentioned buying fuel that may have had diesel in it. Was this at a local gas station? I assume you're on one of the islands out there. ...

I keep my '69 camper in SoCal and use it for ski trips in the winter. On a trip North I stopped at a gas station in Mojave and filled the tank. I got about half a mile from the station and the engine started running poorly. Probably used up the good fuel in the carburetor bowl. After sitting for awhile the engine would start and run, but only at high RPM. Made it to a FLAPS parking lot and started fuel and ignition troubleshooting. Fuel pump and ignition were working OK and timing was correct, WTF. Then got the glass pee jar from the glove compartment and did some swirls with some of the fuel from the pump. (Aircraft Preflight 101) No water in the fuel, but the fuel separated into two distinct liquids, one clear and the other a bit yellow. Bought two 5 gallon and a one gallon gas can. Walked back to the station and saw a fuel delivery truck pumping fuel out of the under ground tank. The driver wouldn't say why he was removing fuel from the tank. Bought a gallon of premium fuel from another pump/tank and walked back to the camper. Two miles each way and both uphill and into a cold wind. Drained ten gallons of bad fuel from the camper and put in the good gallon. After getting the bad fuel out of the carburetor bowl the engine ran well. Went inside the FLAPS and told them my story. They said they had been getting many phone calls from people with poor running engines. Went back to the original gas station and they took the ten gallons of bad fuel and promised me a refund. Went to another station and filled the tank and continued North without incident. Total wasted time, 2+ hours.

This is why I installed a glass sediment bowl and want to see the fuel in a glass filter between the fuel pump and carburetor. But, I have a solid hose from pump to carburetor for safety. I am considering installing a filter attached to the sediment bowl, but haven't gotten into that project yet.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: