Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73-74 wiring diagram
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Hi i have been working on redrawing the post 73 wiring diagram in a similar way to the other wiring diagrams. Here is the first version:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This diagram is logically equivalent to the existing 73-74 diagram. I have been through every component and wire. But the existing 73-74 wiring diagram is wrong in a few places.

What I am working on is the combined BRAKE and fasten Belts light:

In the user manual for the 73 the dashboard shows the round light for the brake warning light connected to the master cylinder, located to the left of the steering wheel. Can anyone confirm this is correct in a 73?

There is then the square BRAKE / fasten belts light under the radio. On the existing wiring diagram and the one I have made this is depicted as k19. But this only shows the wiring for the fasten belts part of it. The brake part is not shown:

So what i need to know is:
    Does the 73 and 74 have the round brake warning light located to the left of the steering wheel?
    Is the functionality of this light duplicated, to the BRAKE/belt light?
    Or is the BRAKE/belt light only connected to the seat belts and parking brake?

Also does the 72 have the combined brake/belt light like the 73 or is it just a Fasten belt light? My 72 didn't come with the light.

I believe the component depicted in the diagram should be this one:

Andrew
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the KGPR website:

Quote:
Understanding brake warning lights

Understanding brake warning lights:

919-233 68 72½U - Round Brake Warning Light, (Red Part Pushes In - 2
Terminals On Back)

919-233 72½73 U - Round Brake Warning Light (Red Part DOES NOT Push In - 5
Terminals on Back)

919-234 72 73 U - Seat Belt Warning Light, Rectangular

919-234 74 74 U - Seat Belt AND Brake Warning Light, Larger Rectangle

Note - The Round Warning Light is located on the LEFT side of the Dashboard
on Ghias (On Beetles it's in the Top Center of the Dashboard). The
Rectangle Light is located in the CENTER of the Dashboard below the Radio.

That doesn't really answer all your questions, but that's all I got. Smile
You are kind enough to try and simplify that somewhat confusing original diagram, and I wanted to acknowledge your efforts - thanks.

My question is one that came about from AlienJohn's thread about his dash indicator light problems.
He mentioned that there is a switch that monitors the parking brake handle's position, but I had trouble finding that anywhere on the colored wiring diagram that's currently found in The Samba Technical archives.
Does your '72 have that switch as well?
AndrewP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, thanks for the info, and thanks for acknowledging my efforts. I was beginning to think, Oh, no one cares Crying or Very sad

To answer your question no, my 72 doesn't have the switch, but my car was very hacked about. I have tried to restore it to a more stock configuration, but the belt light system is never going to be connected as its just annoying in my opinion, as are door buzzers.

The wire for the handbrake does not exist on the diagram. It most likely should be gray with a green stripe, if its the same as on a 74 and 79 bug wiring diagram.

AlienJohn actually PM'd me on this and I have given him what i know.

From what I understand, the combined Brake/belt light is not supposed to be connected to the master cylinder. I think the part CAN be, but this is only supposed to be done in a Bug.

I am unaware if the list of parts you gave is complete. if it is, then we know, there are only two types of VW rectangular lights.

The 73 diagram shows the wiring to the belt only light (assumed to be P/N, 919-234 72 73 U). I think this is a carryover from the '72. I say I think, because my 72 doesn't have the light, and the 72 diagram omits the light altogether.

I think what I really need to know, is what the terminal designations are on an actual brake warning/seat belt light from a '73 Ghia. I.e. a close up photo of the back of the light. And/or a definitive answer on the part no. used. At present i am assuming it is 919-234 74 74 U, but i don't know, there could be another part no. specific to the Ghia.

If anyone has a working system perhaps they could confirm the part no, and take some pics of the wires running to it.

Until then the diagram at the top of the post is logically equivalent to the existing hard to read diagram, but both are incorrect with regards to the brake/belt light.

Andrew
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I was actually going to do this, I suck at the current flow style diagrams for total rewiring.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea. Thought about doing it myself. Good job.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

AndrewP - I'm going to try and get a pic or two of the back of this dash light this weekend.

My parking brake warning light does not light when the parking brake is engaged. It only lights when I start up.

However, I can't even find a switch which, I've been told, is supposed to be under the p-brake handle when down. Have the hole but no wire or switch.

Bottom line, I'll be curious what color the p-brake switch wire should be and where it connects.

Thanks for ALL your efforts... I can't figure out the '73-'74 Bentley wiring drawing at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Snapped a few pics this evening, can always go back out there for more. I had no idea that wire to the e-brake was there! Note it starts as a single black line that has a connector about 14 inches out to greenish (where the Right/passenger seat edge would be).

bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Thanks big time!

I have some detective work in trying to find those wires... they have to be somewhere in there. I hope.

BTW-not worried about the seat belt warning part/wiring... I wear seat belts all the time regardless. But it would be nice to know when I forget that I have the p-brake on when in gear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

tjschmidty...pardon the dumb a$$ question: and your parking brake warning light works?
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Hmmm - car has been parked in a barn for 19 years but when I drove it back then I don't recall anything abnormal with this. It seems straightforward as a switch. If it is a NC button when the button is depressed it breaks contact and would de-energize the circuit and lamp. If it is the other way when activated it is depressed and lights the lamp. The car is not running now, I hope to have it back on the road this spring. However if I tinker around with it I can try to get this circuit working to prove it out.

As I said before I didn't even know about this little gem.
Each time I feel like I've mastered my Ghia those German designers throw another little feat of engineering at me.
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

This is a great idea to rework the diagram. Let us know if you need other wires to trace out...
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

tjschmidty wrote:
Each time I feel like I've mastered my Ghia those German designers throw another little feat of engineering at me.

Boy, no kidding!

Thanks again for the pics... think I'll dig into the dash and see what the light looks like... so we have a second form of documentation.

I still need to figure out where the darn switch and wires (under the handle) went. Geez.
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Excellent, Sir!

Now I see what I need to do... my switch is MIA as is the wire.

By your pics it looks like that the black wire from the switch goes to a connector with that greenish wire, that I guess, goes up to the warning light connector to reside next to the black one in your other pic. My connector is missing that greenish one. Hmmm, the plot thickens!

I'll post my pics tomorrow.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Here are my pics off my '74 vert:

switch should be right in that hole... no signs of one ever being there. odd.

per my previous post, i'm missing that greenish wire that sits next to the black one.

module housing part number

that missing greenish wire should be in #6
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 73-74 wiring diagram Reply with quote

As an update: got a door contact switch, fabbed the little stand and wired it up per the pics above and now have a working Parking Brake warning light. No way I'll ever leave the p-brake on again... darn, it's bright!

The pics + the wiring diagram for a Type I in the Bentley manual helped.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: