Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone's campmobile?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philandkay wrote:
I announced this online and in my newsletters. I told everyone the bids must be submitted by 7am Monday morning.

but you and i spoke thursday morning. i called the number on the website, you called ME back. you told me the high bidder would be chosen sunday. it said the same thing on the website/link to the estate sale.

i don't really care. we all make mistakes. if you made one, it's cool. it's probably too late to admit it now because you've said otherwise and continually stilted your arguments.

VWs rarely blew motors with 36K on them unless someone let the valves go way out of adjustment or never changed the oil. that bus has the wrong motor in it, plenty of us have owned truly original VWs here. we know the telltale signs. all of them. we also know the signs of what's not original.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the engine is every bit as original as the paint.... (in the miss-representers eyes at least)

its not how many miles, its what kind of miles. repaint sucks, but to what degree depends on what cannot be seen under the repaint.

I truly hope that the buyer has not been turned off by the facts and opinions expressed by expert bus people and the not-bus-expert seller. that bus is rare, and it is cool for it to see the light of day.

I think the sale price was high on this car, but when you get into special model, special order, highly desirable cars, people are willing to pay a premium price. I have paid premium prices for choice cars myself, and some people thought I was crazy every time. I have never regretted buying a special order car, and I rarely sell them. this is not the type of car for the layman consumer.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philandkay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by philandkay on Thu May 29, 2014 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
cherise1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philandkay wrote:
Okay, I think it is time to take my husbands advice. I am in a forum where everyone apparently knows all there is to know about the VW I sold. If I knew how to delete myself from Samba.com altogether I would. I seriously doubt it will be anytime soon that I pull a VW out of garage. I mean, I have been liquidating for 10 years now. If one of you kinder gentleman or ladies out there would tell me how to delete myself from this forum I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Kayleen

there is no leaving VW.... once in, u stay in.....

ps... that was sarcasm....
philandkay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by philandkay on Thu May 29, 2014 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have tried to leave VW's before, you don't leave VW's they leave you!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philandkay wrote:
Okay, I think it is time to take my husbands advice. I am in a forum where everyone apparently knows all there is to know about the VW I sold. If I knew how to delete myself from Samba.com altogether I would. I seriously doubt it will be anytime soon that I pull a VW out of garage. I mean, I have been liquidating for 10 years now. If one of you kinder gentleman or ladies out there would tell me how to delete myself from this forum I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Kayleen

This is the best I can do:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/faq.php?mode=forums#25

There is no need to delete your account, you can just browse way and agree to disagree.

I will contact you if I need to sell my camper.

Last edited by Ran When Parked on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Quoting from someone who knew. Reply with quote

philandkay wrote:

Here is a quote from an email I received from the second highest bidder at $36,636.36...

Just to let you know-they changed to a larger back door on Aug. 9, 1963-13 days before that bus was produced.

Don't tell that to the August 2nd, 1963 (1964 model year) bus I used to have.
Sounds like this guy really knew his stuff Rolling Eyes

You did a good job selling it. That bus listed on these classifieds would never sell for $40k. Just like the BJ 23 that was listed here weeks before the auction for something like $125k, get it in the right market with people who have more money than brains and anything can happen.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or is it not really, really poor form for the liquidator (essentially a middleman…er, person in this case) to reveal anything to do with who paid what for something they were brokering? I would ex-pect a tad more discretion in this area. The only people who should be blabbing about that facet of the deal are the buyer and the seller. If I was the seller I would be majorly pissed off that confidential information was being posted where EVERYONE could read it.

Tsk, tsk, Kayleen Shame on you. A professional should know better.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to "delete" yourself, just stop logging in and posting.
The above is not meant to be rude but could be read as such - this is what I tell anyone who asks me how to delete their account.

In the end, if the buyer and seller are happy the rest doesn't matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philandkay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by philandkay on Thu May 29, 2014 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
M183kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philandkay wrote:
Yes, there seems to be no end to that around here.

Like the 4th or 5th post since she was 'done'...kayleen, the VW world is uber cool but it does rub people the wrong way when someone who admits they know nothing about them comes in to 'educate' us, in the same way it would offend you if I, who knows nothing about liquidating assets, told you you didn't know what you are talking about...

Btw-this thread has been consistently about the bus in question, not about you or your company, other than a few sidebars caused by your posts...& there is only one 1 of 1 in the VW bus world, Ben Pon's og drawing...

Last edited by M183kombi on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for making my point. If you had not been so free with information perhaps the person who announced the selling price would not have been able to post it.

I stand by my original assertion. The bidders didn't need to know what the selling price ended up being. All they needed to know is that they didn't make the cut. The buyer and the seller should be protected by the broker. This isn't like a real estate sale where any Joe-Blow can go down to the courthouse and find out what you paid for your house! Confidentiality. There is no way to know the reason that you were unable to remain silent regarding the selling price. But, it is enough that we know who spilled the beans. Apparently, by your own admission, it was not either the buyer or the seller.

The people PMing you to release the buyers name cannot be unprofessional as they are not in a profesional capacity in this matter. That should have been the part you played.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

M183kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol^^^nice man...she'll post again...
cherise1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know squat crap about vw buses (ok the basics) but always seem to learn something new everyday by reading post here in samba.. the bus in question seemed way to high imo but i dont know how rare it is..??.. i admit stuff like that and it is nice to have a group of VW enthusiast who you can ask questions too... i dont think most were attacking you personally... just the bus in question... does it look like a 36,000 mile bus... not really but still looks great... maybe it was a hard 36,000 miles, i dont know... maybe the family was stretching the truth to you to get more money..who knows..??.. its a lesson learned and maybe if you run across another vw bus to sell, just stop in and get some advice and knowledge from others... just my 3 cents for the day Popcorn
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Quoting from someone who knew. Reply with quote

philandkay wrote:
Here is a quote from an email I received from the second highest bidder at $36,636.36. ......

"
Even the small piping on the side (missing on the driver side) is a "Pitt" part. Pitt added those on request only- you will find that part nowhere in the world if it would be missing. That's why I asked about it.

philandkay wrote:
The trim was a Pitt exclusive...it was missing from the drivers side but it was in the back of the bus.

I'm always skeptical when anyone is willing to take one person's words, especially if they don't know them, as gospel; yet not believe an entire group of separate individual people on another topic.

It's really easy to believe someone when they tell you what you want to hear, and so much harder when it doesn't suit your needs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: integrity Reply with quote

I would not hesitate to use this estate sale service if I needed one. I think the sale was handled about as well as it possibly could be. Kayla had to contend with some very disagreeable people, even outright rude. At all times she kept the peace, smoothing ruffled feathers and moved on. My friend bought a farm engine, a "hit and miss" engine. When I contacted her about a couple of parts missing, she offered to make the sale "right". We did not ask for that, she offered without hesitation.

The overspray could have come from any point in this buses life, even in the factory where it was converted to a camper. Had they inadvertently scratched it, they would most likely have touched it up. Or, it may have been retouched by the original owner simply because he wanted to keep it as he bought it. As for the engine, who knows why it might have been changed out? Perhaps, in a heavy camper, it was blown in the mountains. Would not surprise me if the answer is in the record books that he kept.
Rob Whitey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I counted 28 patches that can be seen. If the patches are of a state that that bus has road tripped to that's alot of traveling.
As any bus owner knows......Anything can happen on a road trip.
Blown motor, small finder bender, remove seats for more comfortable ones.
Some people have in their minds that if I owned the vehicle since new that everything I've replaced either to repair or suit my personal need, that vehicle is still "orginal".
I'm just saying.

Sure is a nice bus.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:

The people PMing you to release the buyers name cannot be unprofessional as they are not in a profesional capacity in this matter. That should have been the part you played.

Why would you send a PM for that info anyway? That just seems weird to me.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind is right on this one. This not your common OTW camper. This is an English built Canterbury Pitt conversion. Usually built on RHD VW buses for the British market only and why we never see them over here. That is also why many bus folks don't know much about them.

As Lind touched upon, the original owner (possibly stationed over in England) must have went to great lengths to order a Pitt in a LHD conversion so he could take it home to the USA eventually. This could possibly be the only one ever made, similar to the walk through so-23 westfalia Merz found years back. So this is indeed quite a special and rare bus.

From what the estate lady quoted, the buyer of this bus knew his stuff about Pitts. My guess he is originally from the UK or has buyer over there. Not many of us on this side of the pond know squat about these UK conversions but in the UK there are folks on top of the history of these vehicles. We also know where most of our buses are going right now and who is paying top dollar...the britts.

Myself, I don't know much about Pitts but just enough to know what they are and that they are in high demand overseas. I wouldn't have paid 40k for that bus but it sure is a cool, rare bus and a great story too. Man I LOVE those patches on the wall!

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: