Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

just bought my first dune buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hecubus, I have seen several of these that have the solid lp area but haven't determined the name, looks like it could be a Lincoln or Kellison because that top is a big Kellison clue...... but The front fender webs are very unique. I haven't been able to pin down an actual early Sandpiper dash to get a positive id for them. I just checked my files and the body you have matches three or four that I have on file, the windshields are the everyday style though, could be that your windshield is a big clue ( and you would need that for the hardtop. Kellison/ Lincoln may be....

I do know one fellow told me he had a Lincoln sticker under the bottom side of the hood so check for that, might get lucky.

The Terra Buggy bodies never had hardtops that I am aware of. Where are you located, there was one of these locally when I was a kid - guy worked at the post office and drove it all year

Last edited by glassbuggy on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wythac, No this was a Kellison dead giveaway, I had this same frame on an sp2 and it was not a hardtop
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has the small tail, and the arched cut front fenders, battery well, but no spare well. Kind of funny indentation between the battery well and where the spare well would have been.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No dash extension for a radio.

But the small tail of the early Manx style. No card under the hood.

A buddy and I traveled Sunday across West Virginia to pick up a core engine for his Manx II. During the trip we ran some back roads and spotted a buggy weathering away in a back yard across a creek. Spoke to the owner an he let us look at it. His was most certainly a Viper Body made North West of Columbus Ohio (I have one identical to it, same gel color, sunken headlight's, rear spoiler and rounded fenders). But the guy's buggy had a hard top like pictured on page one with a squared off top lip, made for a squared windshield, but he had it installed to a rounded Manx Style windshield. I had not seen that type of square front windshield in this part of the country before.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A buddy and I traveled Sunday across West Virginia to pick up a core engine for his Manx II. During the trip we ran some back roads and spotted a buggy weathering away in a back yard across a creek. Spoke to the owner an he let us look at it. His was most certainly a Viper Body made North West of Columbus Ohio (I have one identical to it, same gel color, sunken headlight's, rear spoiler and rounded fenders). But the guy's buggy had a hard top like pictured on page one with a squared off top lip, made for a squared windshield, but he had it installed to a rounded Manx Style windshield. I had not seen that type of square front windshield in this part of the country before.

So, did you make him an offer, Joe? Laughing

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:
Quote:

So, did you make him an offer, Joe? Laughing

No. I already have one the same exact color. Right now I have three buggy's, and not one is close to running. If I am going to make the Big Bear trip, no new buggy's for me. Gotta get back to sewing.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlofty0401
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

removed the hood today and found kellison badges everywhere so now I know the make but still not sure the year 100 % pretty sure it is 60 to 62 will share more pics later
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlofty0401 wrote:
removed the hood today and found kellison badges everywhere so now I know the make but still not sure the year 100 % pretty sure it is 60 to 62 will share more pics later

You must mean the year of the chassis. You should be able to tell that from the chassis serial number.

Kellison took over Lincoln's business and probably didn't start producing buggy bodies under their name until 68.
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesing for detail pics !! A 60 had a one year only trans mount, that could narrow your pan id
jlofty0401
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHat should I be looking for on trans mount for pic?
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some pics of one in this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...mp;start=0
jlofty0401
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my transmount does not look like that. My motor is the 40ish hp. Whats some good upgrades for better hp?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My motor is the 40ish hp. Whats some good upgrades for better hp?

Sell the 40 Horse and buy a 1600.

The 40 horse can be hopped up, but you can buy a fresh, new 1600 complete for the price of the parts for the 40 horse.

The 40 horse is also called a Bastard 40 Horse. This is because no other engine parts will interchange with it. The 1300 parts will not fit and the 1500/1600 parts will not fit.

glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks are looking for 40 horse mills, I would sell it and get a 1600 like Joescoolcustoms said. When are you goin to shoot us some detail pics Smile
jlofty0401
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this in myaround my trans is this what we are looking for? found this on it beside thrott;le cable

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

But if you photo the same thing from the bottom looking upward will show what the trans mount is.

jlofty0401
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: more pics of my buggy Reply with quote

Mopar2u426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: just bought my first dune buggy Reply with quote

good afternoon...just reading this post...what do you think of this car...i am guessing early Kellison...Lincoln car as well...

[/img]
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: just bought my first dune buggy Reply with quote

jlofty0401 wrote:

Picture taking basics: Before clicking Clean the lens please. That should help I think.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: