Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Radio what setup do you have?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

After searching on the forum I still have questions about CB Radios. I am new to them and want to know what you have as a setup and why. I don’t know the difference between the antennas (fiberglass or metal), radios, mounts and what would be good for what I need.

I want something for on the highways, talking to friends on a trip, and in the event I need help (hopefully not) I can radio someone. I am thinking of the Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio. I know there is Cobra brand that is similar. Just want to know some different set ups for mounts.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Wa...s=cb+radio

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

IG Westyrestorations
FB WestyRestorations, parts and accessories

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Cobra 75 WX ST CB. With a permanent mount antenna on my light bar. It has weather channels and has worked good. It is a great choice and doesn't take much space.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one I dug out of my parents basement that used to be in our '74 westy. Made in 1978 and still works great.

I'll probably get a hand-held HAM though, but I would expect my 4' antenna to get out to most roads in Southern Utah. I can pick up a LOT of people everywhere from Texas to Washington with my current setup.

For most use though, I keep the short 8" motorcycle antenna on. It still picks up quite a bit and works well for convoys (only if others have CB Rolling Eyes )
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best of anything I have found, and I own both.. btw that radio in my link can be bought at a truck stop on sale for less than $140 and works great out of the box.. Arrow http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=305-38&...oogle_base http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esatm-X88B8
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I have one I dug out of my parents basement that used to be in our '74 westy. Made in 1978 and still works great.

I'll probably get a hand-held HAM though, but I would expect my 4' antenna to get out to most roads in Southern Utah. I can pick up a LOT of people everywhere from Texas to Washington with my current setup.

For most use though, I keep the short 8" motorcycle antenna on. It still picks up quite a bit and works well for convoys (only if others have CB Rolling Eyes )

would that be a 40 channel or 23 channel? I forgot when they did that, maybe a bit before 78? Boy howdee 23 channel sets sure got cheap when them 40's came out. We upgraded.

I got a similarly old set in my van, a 40 channel.

used to use them all the time back in the old microbus. now 'tis in my vanagon, but there is so much less traffic these days on the CB with all these new fangled cell phone thingys the kids use.

You used to be able to spend hours talking and listening to all sorts of folks on one giant party line, that was what you could do with a CB. bet most youngins don't even know about a party line nows days. many cars had the big CB wipe antenna attached, or a magnetic one to pop on the roof when using the CB. now it is a rare thing

who has some photos of vintage CB's??????? Old ads??? that would be cool to post.

fucketh the new tech, give us all back the CB, 40 channel of course!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of good options and small radios...I'm still using my 24-yr old CB. It's hard to stick a magnet-mount antenna on top of a Westy, though!
There's some facts, a lot of sales hype and even more opinions about antennas. I'm going to mount a short (motorcycle-type) antenna on the passenger side rear vent opposite my 2 meter/70 cm ham antenna on the driver's side. Check out Kourt's mount over the engine vent (scroll down to find it, he has several antennae 'cause he's a serious Ham!):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...3573097159 and that is about how I'm doing mine. Not invasive on the body of the van. Sure, it's not an optimal ground plane but it works.
A little tutorial on antennas here: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question490.htm but really, if you're just using your CB "in convoy" and are OK with limited range, you don't need a 10-foot whip with loading coil. Something that "gives" if it catches on a tree branch is a good idea, no sense bending sheet metal with your antenna.
BTW, you might check in with a local "Ham" group to see about getting a license. The 2-meter band (144-148 MHz) has a lot of repeaters around the country that allow you to use a low-power setup and relay your signal for greater range. The FCC Amateur Radio "Technician" class license is pretty easy to get (the test is pretty basic and there are good study guides out there) and no Morse Code required any more.
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I\ve been wondering about getting one too. Where to install though? I was thinking of the somewhat larger unit, not all in the mic kind of thing.

Any good place to put a fairly standard antenna?

Quality differences of the brands?
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Uniden PRO520, small and works pretty well for the price.
I have it mounted to the roof between the front seats, mic is easily accessible from either seat and with the bottom firing speaker it's easy to hear.

I believe I have a 36" (wanted 24" but the shop I was at was sold out) firestick mounted to a roof rack on the front of the van.

I haven't even tuned it and it works great 5-10 miles depending upon terrain. I'd imagine if my friends and I tune our antennas we could get a bit more.

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PRO520XL-40-Channel-C...amp;sr=1-1

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a lot of research and came up with what would work for me as follows:

Cobra 75 WX ST handset.

Cobra Remote Connector Box

Note: I have four rigs but bought three of these boxes so I could transfer the CB between rigs.

2' Firestik top load 5/8 wave antenna with tunable top and quick release.

Firestik model K-16A guttermount for antenna with quick release

Note: with the 2' antenna it easily clears the top of the westy from the gutter for max range but is short enough not to get too knocked around by wind. The antenna can be quickly released and stored inside for security. The mount can also be quickly released and stored inside. It also can rotate continuously from vertical to horizontal -- handy if the wind gets to be too much but you don't want to remove the assembly. There's no drilling required.

I run the cable between the control box and antenna out a slight opening in the back left center slider window right up to the the gutter mount which is positioned just behind the driver door opening. If you use a screen for that window (I took mine off on that side) then you could also run the cable out from a crack in the driver or passenger side door window but that's a little less convenient. This entire assembly can be quickly transferred between the three rigs.

Astatic PDC7 SWR Meter --- I bought it to do my own tuning and wave checking because it didn't cost much.

I also have an old CB radio from the early 70's with a magnet mount antenna that goes in the fourth rig (the sinka in my avatar) more semi-permanently.

Hope this helps with ideas.
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice this has helped a lot.

IG Westyrestorations
FB WestyRestorations, parts and accessories

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one. Has fairly good reviews, good transmission quality and range. Looks good too. I don't know much about cb's, but it seems decent to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARCAT-Sideband-Weat...roduct_top

As for the All-in-one types, there is also this Midland that seems like a good radio. Car mounted that converts into a handheld with a clip-on battery pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Wa...and+75-822

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-Handh...and+75-822
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding ignorant. What's the advantage of having a CB nowadays with a cell phone in every pocket?
Jeff
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very fair question, and probably the biggest reason why CB's are no longer in style to the same degree as in the past.

There are scenarios where cb's or walkie talkies excel though.

- You might be out of cell phone coverage
- You're driving 2 or more cars on a trip, and cell coverage is spotty/regional/state based, and based on carriers.
-Easy group communication. One message- everyone receives it.
-Quick alert, if you need to warn of a danger ahead, just blast it out on the cb, if your companion vehicle is listening, as they should, they will get it instantly. No need to wait to pick up etc, or busy chatting with someone else.
-Cb in car, give a handheld to wife or kids while out walking/sightseeing at remote areas.

We use handhelds in supermarkets and such aswell, when travelling.

I'm sure there are other benefits, but these are what I can think of. I'd say it starts becoming usefiul in a group setting. Not so much if you're a loner. At that point your down the the benefit of listening in on truckers and road hazards, speed traps etc. Also the higher end versions have NOAA weather channels.
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are obviously more than an FRS radio?
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1987 Syncro Single cab
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote:
These are obviously more than an FRS radio?

Not sure I understand that question...?
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding ignorant. What's the advantage of having a CB nowadays with a cell phone in every pocket?
Jeff
lets see ''got a car going the wrong way up I95 MM133'' ''got a wreck about 20 miles back road shut down to one lane'' ''some guy is riding his bike down the interstate'' ''drunk driver in a pickup'' on and on and on ...being a trucker every night of the week I will keep my cb radio on at all times in my truck and in my car, best live safety device ever. what does surprise me is why more people don't use them...
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:
Jeff
lets see ''got a car going the wrong way up I95 MM133'' ''got a wreck about 20 miles back road shut down to one lane'' ''some guy is riding his bike down the interstate'' ''drunk driver in a pickup'' on and on and on ...being a trucker every night of the week I will keep my cb radio on at all times in my truck and in my car, best live safety device ever. what does surprise me is why more people don't use them...

Got it...
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1987 Syncro Single cab
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff

With a cell phone it doesn't sound right to say stuff like:

"10-4 good buddy did you get a look at the beaver in the Syncro that just passed me?, eighty eights to that fine lookin seatcover for sure, comeon"

"how bout ya Syncro? You got those ears on? Comeon"
"10-9? Good buddy, you keep the shiney side up and the rubber side down for sure, you got the hammer down for sure, is that your YL in there with ya?, better slow that 4 wheeler down theres a bear up ahead, brush your teeth and comb your hair, see you on the flip side if your comin back this way, I be done with my rachet jaw, we gone"

Any of the old timers will understand! Laughing
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Jeff

With a cell phone it doesn't sound right to say stuff like:

"10-4 good buddy did you get a look at the beaver in the Syncro that just passed me?, eighty eights to that fine lookin seatcover for sure, comeon"

"how bout ya Syncro? You got those ears on? Comeon"
"10-9? Good buddy, you keep the shiney side up and the rubber side down for sure, you got the hammer down for sure, is that your YL in there with ya?, better slow that 4 wheeler down theres a bear up ahead, brush your teeth and comb your hair, see you on the flip side if your comin back this way, I be done with my rachet jaw, we gone"

Any of the old timers will understand! Laughing

Now I'm looking for a remake of Smokey and Bandit!!,
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1987 Syncro Single cab
LeftCoastKiteboarding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the places we travel don't have cell signal. Being able to keep in touch with others in our group is super important.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: