Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pure Gas - Non Ethanol
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinas often have ethanol free gasoline as well. I look for it when on the OR coast. And that smart phone app works pretty well too.

CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We burned 5 gallons of Efree in the quads last night.
I was thinking of all the skeptics while having a blast.
All first kick machines coming from our barn Wink

The only fellow to have any issues whatsoever was the one who brought pump gas and added stabilizer to it.

We topped him off after the ride with the good stuff and told him where to get it.
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually illegal to run non-road based fuels. Big fines if you get caught!

Show you evidence of E10 causing rust?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo

Water causes rust. Ethanol is an alcohol with a desire to find water based on its molecular formula. It increases water found in the fuel system because it naturally attracts water.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ute wrote:
I
Show you evidence of E10 causing rust?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo

This video doesn't seem relevant to our vans. Again, I'm no ethanol champion, I just want to make sure it's worth the money to buy the PREMIUM fuel that is ethanol-free, vs the regular E10 gas that almost every station sells.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethanol attracts water. That is the point of this video. This is bad for engines and the metal interior of the gas tank.

Theoretically...E-free should be cheaper. Do some reading on the "Blend-wall."
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using this stuff ( http://www.trufuel50.com/ ) in my small engines. I don't use much fuel in them so the increased cost isn't an issue. Fortunately I do most of my camping/Westy driving in places with ethanol free gas available.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure gas is a nice app for sure, an E0 pump showed up in my town a couple years ago, only in premium though.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
There is e free gas at every small airport that sales AvGas - 100LL - even has a small amount of lead to lubricate your valves like the good old days -- about a buck more a gallon

100LL has different volatility than mogas. Starting can be a problem in cold weather.

BTW, "LL" stands for low lead by *aviation* standards. It actually has quite a lot of lead by mogas standards, compared to when mogas had lead. Lead fouling is a distinct possibility!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bill before Congress to get rid of the alcohol mandate. Write or call your senators and congressmmen asking that they support this bill. While bitching on Samba and other forums is great, contacting you representatives in Washington is going to be way more effective.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest use of ethanol is as an octane booster.
Considering the alternatives of MMT or lead, I'll take the e10.

Any anybody who pines for the good 'ole days of leaded gas must have eaten too much dirt out of their front yard as a kid. Urban lead pollution continues to be a public health issue.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the pure type around and having tried the only diff i could tell was the price, no better or worse mi.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
There is a bill before Congress to get rid of the alcohol mandate. Write or call your senators and congressmmen asking that they support this bill. While bitching on Samba and other forums is great, contacting you representatives in Washington is going to be way more effective.

Wildthings for President Exclamation

Thank you Sir.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is in the mail!!
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ute wrote:
Ethanol attracts water. That is the point of this video. This is bad for engines and the metal interior of the gas tank.

The ethanol used in US fuels is anhydrous, which means that it can absorb water. In theory, this is a good thing because it will absorb any residual water that is in the fuel tank sump (below the outlet) and carry it through the system. The "fuel drier" commonly added to gas tanks to remove water contamination is anhydrous alcohol!

Unless you get a lot of water in your tank, there should be no separated water in it if you are using gasoline with alcohol.

Ironically, Japanese and European studies have show that anhydrous ethanol itself is more corrosive to fuel systems than hydrous ethanol, so there are pilot programs in Europe and Brasil using hE15 mixtures. Yes, they are intentionally saturating the ethanol with 5% water in order to reduce corrosion! Of course, this will also reduce fuel value by reducing the amount of combustible fuel available and by requiring energy to vaporize the added water during combustion.

The sad thing is that the entire alcohol fuels program is just a pork barrel for the inefficient biofuel industry. The industry promised years ago that they would develop cheaper cellulose sources for ethanol if they were given subsidies and price guarantees. They obviously lied but they want the government to keep the money tap open.

Everyone, except the corn farmers and ethanol distillers, would be far better off if they just used pure gas. Gas and food prices would go down, fuel mileage would improve, and our cars would last longer and require less maintenance.

Unfortunately it is difficult to fight the people who run the Iowa caucuses that control who gets to run the show.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a glass jar, one olives come in, tall skinny & i at times i fill it with gas and leave sit for a couple days, u will be surprised most times how it separates . Water will always be on bottom.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
ute wrote:

The ethanol used in US fuels is anhydrous, which means that it can absorb water. In theory, this is a good thing because it will absorb any residual water that is in the fuel tank sump (below the outlet) and carry it through the system. The "fuel drier" commonly added to gas tanks to remove water contamination is anhydrous alcohol!

Unless you get a lot of water in your tank, there should be no separated water in it if you are using gasoline with alcohol.

Ironically, Japanese and European studies have show that anhydrous ethanol itself is more corrosive to fuel systems than hydrous ethanol, so there are pilot programs in Europe and Brasil using hE15 mixtures. Yes, they are intentionally saturating the ethanol with 5% water in order to reduce corrosion! Of course, this will also reduce fuel value by reducing the amount of combustible fuel available and by requiring energy to vaporize the added water during combustion.

The sad thing is that the entire alcohol fuels program is just a pork barrel for the inefficient biofuel industry. The industry promised years ago that they would develop cheaper cellulose sources for ethanol if they were given subsidies and price guarantees. They obviously lied but they want the government to keep the money tap open.

Everyone, except the corn farmers and ethanol distillers, would be far better off if they just used pure gas. Gas and food prices would go down, fuel mileage would improve, and our cars would last longer and require less maintenance.

Unfortunately it is difficult to fight the people who run the Iowa caucuses that control who gets to run the show.
A Q $ Y. If u come with a new 'act' and tax payer would put u in a growing business, good or bad, would u do it ??
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Fiatdude wrote:
There is e free gas at every small airport that sales AvGas - 100LL - even has a small amount of lead to lubricate your valves like the good old days -- about a buck more a gallon

100LL has different volatility than mogas. Starting can be a problem in cold weather.

BTW, "LL" stands for low lead by *aviation* standards. It actually has quite a lot of lead by mogas standards, compared to when mogas had lead. Lead fouling is a distinct possibility!

Aviation gas doesn't give off the same BTUs as automotive gas so mileage will decrease with its use. I was told this by a guy who has forgotten more than I will ever know about motors....he's building a 10800RPM Pro Stock motor for a guy in Australia right now and is waiting for $30/gal fuel to show up and the humidity of our recent rains to disperse before doing final dyno sessions.
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeohsix wrote:
Aviation gas doesn't give off the same BTUs as automotive gas so mileage will decrease with its use. I was told this by a guy who has forgotten more than I will ever know about motors....he's building a 10800RPM Pro Stock motor for a guy in Australia right now and is waiting for $30/gal fuel to show up and the humidity of our recent rains to disperse before doing final dyno sessions.

I always heard that hi test, premium, ethyl, or whatever you want to call it didn't have as many BTU's as regular. Don't think the difference was very great though. The advantage of high octane fuel is that it will allow you to run higher compression and/or a bit more advance thus adding to the efficiency of the engine.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeohsix wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
Fiatdude wrote:

Aviation gas doesn't give off the same BTUs as automotive gas so mileage will decrease with its use. I was told this by a guy who has forgotten more than I will ever know about motors....

Heats of combustion:
Uncontaminated Auto gas: 44.1MJ/kg,
E10 auto gas: 42.4MJ/kg,
100LL avgas: 43.5MJ/kg,

So, 100LL is about 1.3% lower in fuel value than pure auto gas (if you can find it) and about 2.5% higher than the E10 stuff currently in most pumps.

It's not so much the fuel values that will be noticably different, but the starting and drivability issues.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1990 Quattro seems to like the E0 gas. It requires premium, and when I use the E0 it starts and idles better and fuel economy is a couple MPGs better - from 22mpg up to 24. Unscientific, but I made a point of tracking the economy when I first got it and each E0 tank was higher and each E15 tank was lower. When I worked for GM in Detroit, we specifically used Chevron gasoline when we did our self-certifications on EPA emissions and also our MPG ratings. I still seek it out when on trips.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: