Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5/13/14 PDX to Teh Moabs~The Long and Winding Roads o~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
carterzest wrote:

That depends on me Laughing

Ok, when do you plan on leaving SLC for the San Rafael?
We would love to caravan down with the group.

An early start would be nice, but you are all traveling a distance already.

Let us know Wink
It really depends on the group and the little last minute adjustments. HansJ wants to make sure we are all ready and fully prepared, so, we have a few things to do the night before, and perhaps a few things to do the day of. I for one, may not have my driveline protection installed as well as needing to hook up my locker vacuum hose....Small easy stuff. I would be surprised if we were not on the road by 10:00, hopefully even earlier.

Hanky is with Ashley for the weekend, I may get to pick him up tomorrow after work, worst case, monday after work. Got my awning remounted to my new rack thanks to Tony at Motorsports-Thanks Buddy! It looks and works great!
Grocery shopping all done. It is just packing now!

Woot!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you with smartphones, and in areas with cell reception, you might enjoy using the app called Glympse

https://www.glympse.com/get_glympse

you can use glympse to navigate to your destination, with turn by turn voice directions. And you can share your route with anyone you can text, even if they dont have the Glympse app themselves..

Then they can see you on a map, including your route, destination, and eta

there is also a group feature, that lets you see multiple people on the map. A useful group name could be !Solstice for example. Glympse puts ! in front of group names automatically.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I out. I think we are going to camp near Indian Creek in the needless district of Canyonlands Wednesday night and at lone mesa Thursday. If you were coming in a day earlier that would have been great. See you all on Friday.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Mapped out this tonight: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zPwn4b04L3Sg.kO9rwUVJV4PQ

Google your location to Castle Dale, Utah. Dirt road starts there and heads down to I-70.

Then about 30 miles of freeway driving until we get to the Green River, Utah exit to refuel if needed.

Head down the main street and back on to dirt to go camp near Crystal Geyser. Everyone is invited who will be in the area or passing though! Can't say the first part could be done with 2wd but if you take the next main dirt road on the freeway you could meet us at the dunes and shouldn't have any trouble with the dunes to main camp road.

Next day head out across the desert towards White Wash Sand Dunes. I haven't driven the road between the two, but spoke with someone who did it alone in his syncro and had no issues.

Play at the dunes for a bit? Then the long windy road into Lone Mesa Campground.

Hans, with your proposed plan, how early on Friday do you suppose we could arrive at Lone Mesa? The reason that I ask is that I am hoping to arrive early enough on Friday to get at least one Mt bike ride in. That's the main reason my brother is coming along and he gets cranky when he can't ride. I just need to be sure that I can set some realistic expectations with him.

The gearbox and diff are in, as are the axles and driveshaft! I just need wrap up the small details now, but it's Mother's Day don'tcha know, so it will probably have to wait until tomorrow.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will all depend on how much time you want to spend playing at the sand dunes, and when carterzest wakes up..

I would say it would be easy to be to main camp around 12-1pm. It looks like it is around 45 miles or so between they geyser and lone mesa. If you REALLY wanted to get there in a hurry, you could just go back up to the freeway and head down the paved roads, but you will miss some cool stuff...

Roads like this one that is no road:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and photo opportunities like this:

and empty beautiful roads like this:

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I forgot to mention, we are planning on cooking for you all Wednesday night if you camp out in my driveway! So a number of how many are coming would be nice Smile Vegetarian lasagna with home made noodles and home made bread. If you wanted meat, too bad. You'll eat it and like it.

David let me know when you flight lands. If it's before those guys get in I can come get you for sure to save a taxi drive. If you get in later, Dustin was saying something about picking you up. We'll figure it out, it's a quick drive to the airport from my house anyway.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
It will all depend on how much time you want to spend playing at the sand dunes, and when carterzest wakes up..

I would say it would be easy to be to main camp around 12-1pm. It looks like it is around 45 miles or so between they geyser and lone mesa. If you REALLY wanted to get there in a hurry, you could just go back up to the freeway and head down the paved roads, but you will miss some cool stuff...

Roads like this one that is no road:

and photo opportunities like this:

and empty beautiful roads like this:

Those are sweet pics! I am getting excited for the Solstice. Cool

Any time frame of when you will be at Castle Dale? or around Sp. Fork? We were planning to get down to the San Rafael in the morning to goof off and let the kids look at things.

We can meet you down there or convoy down if you are coming through Utah County in the morning hours. We were thinking of leaving Sp. Fork around 9:00am. Not sure your route, Fairview over the top to Huntington to Castle Dale? Or just book it to Price then Castle Dale?

Let us know and we would be happy to wait up or just meet you down there Question Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the plan is to go to price then south on 10. We will most likely take the short route, but 31 looks like a cool drive too. 9am is probably earlier than we will get going but I hope we will get out of SLC as early as possible. We will be at least 8 people so departure might take a bit, but we will have at least 5 vans so we will be hard to miss! I'll have a cb and a cell so you should pm contact phone numbers to Hans or me so we can meet up! If you want anything from Oregon let me know and I can probably grab it for you!
Cheers
Jahbah~D
Jahbah~D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I was thinking of driving:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=2100+South+700+...m&z=12

There will be snow still on highway 31 but it gets plowed. Perhaps we will get lucky and it won't be plowed!! It's a 3 hour or so drive to the start of the dirt roads (401 to 332) from my house. Carterzest wants to have his photo taken at the Huntington power plant, so account for that too. Then I was thinking lunch somewhere along the dirt roads.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

Very cool! I talked to my brother today and he cool with missing a bit of biking in lieu of some great scenery and experience, so consider us "in"! The plan is to meet up with the rest of the Portland crew Tuesday evening/night and travel down with them.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
hans j wrote:

Very cool! I talked to my brother today and he cool with missing a bit of biking in lieu of some great scenery and experience, so consider us "in"! The plan is to meet up with the rest of the Portland crew Tuesday evening/night and travel down with them.

Woot. Meachum for bust, er, or bust.

It's gonna be a rip snorter Wink
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

David let me know when you flight lands. If it's before those guys get in I can come get you for sure to save a taxi drive. If you get in later, Dustin was saying something about picking you up. We'll figure it out, it's a quick drive to the airport from my house anyway.

Thank you very much for the offer Hans and the awesome dinner you are preparing. I will land in SLC at 9:00pm wed night. I sent you a PM with the details. I am looking forward to the routes you have been posting both on the way to SS and the trails when we get there.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: