Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you ever had a bus you wanted to give up on? I do
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirbyland wrote:
beer-

Absolutely. I find that VWs are teaching me how to be less frustrated. I have made so many mistakes always caused by a shortcut or being cheap. One thing that always works for me is to step away and work on something else. If you have to make up another project like repainting vw emblem on hubcaps, do that. The next day the original hurdle is always easier, or at least you have a new approach.

Just think how good that ride will be to a show once its all sorted. Hang in there man.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the (positive) comments guys! The advice I have gotten so far makes me wanna get back on it and keep going. If the transaxle is shot I think I will take a break from mechanical stuff and work on the interior or something else for a while. I am pulling the engine tomorrow so I can see what the problem is so I will post pics of the carnage afterwards. Laughing

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up if you have the space and time to rest or shift your focus to other projects. Judging from your gallery, you took on a really big project. It looks like you've already done a lot of the heavy lifting, but you probably also missed several self-imposed deadlines, and now you are anxious and frustrated.

It's all about work/life balance - if it's not fun and it's taking up all your free time and money, something's gotta give. I have one of those projects that's been sitting in the garage for the last 5 years waiting for me to come back...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Any time spent in the garage on your vw is not only good for you, but is one less task getting you closer to the end. I am a terrible golfer, but I met a guy on the course once that was extremely positive and basically said don't beat yourself up on how many strokes. Every stroke gets you closer to the hole. Very Happy

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had about 30 mins to work on it last night, so I installed the lock tabs on the spring plate/rgb bolts. Already looked at them once today, just cuz.

How does a mouse eat an elephant?

One bite at a time....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wanted an example well here is mine. I have a thread on here where I had my trans completly rebuilt and let it sit outdoors for years and the reduction boxes had filled with water rusting them from the inside out. I proceded to rebuild them and when I got done they leaked and the swing axles leaked at the trans too. I spent months working on this in my spare time and it was all my fault. I too damaged new bearings and had to source new german bearings to do it right. And you know what when I got done the second time one swingarm plate seal is still leaking. I just put a pan under it.

I have had ups and downs and honestly let my bus sit for too long but now its running good and every tweek of the carb or distributor has been making it run even better. My goal date is a show too so it was funny to hear your same situation. I havent made it to my show yet either but I will. Good luck man. One more thing I agree when you get frustrated just put it down and come back the next morning I don't know what it is but your bus will become more agreeable mine always has.
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am convinced no one has had a bus emotional roller coaster like I have. I have "obus'd" out on more bus trips than I can remember. I once blew an engine leaving a shop as I pulled out of their driveway. It was in there for a non engine matter. I also broke down about halfway from a shop to my house in my old orange bus. That was a gas tank issue. I think I have blown 4 engines and it was never my fault as I barely put any miles on them and they were always rebuilt or in one case a "good used" runner. Hell, even 2 years ago I ran out of gas in my non gas gauged 59 mango. I thought I had filled it up prior to the ride. The list goes on. Shake it off and go find something else to do for a bit. My work raises my stress level to the moon and the last thing I(or anyone) needs is a vehicle joining into that.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
Dino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most dependable vw I had was a 61 beetle I picked up in the 70's for $100. Had to redo the kings pins then proceeded to drive that thing all over the country, probably put 35,000 miles on it until I loaned it to a friend and he ran it out of oil in CA and blew the engine, he's the same friend I loaned my diesel rabbit too and blew it up. Anyway I have fixed and rebuilt plenty of old junk since then, also I have worked on helicopters for 25 years and I think that's made me go a little over board on stuff, anyway these days this stuff hasn't gotten any newer so you have to just about go through everything if you want to have a dependable driver. I guess unless you know where it came from and have some good history on it. If the body is decent I wouldnt part with it. You will get the mechanical stuff figured out eventually and end up with something you will enjoy. When things aren't progressing like I want on a project, I just put it down for a while, pretty soon you get back on it and get excited again. When you get frustrated, you just need a little break, of course if it's a rust bucket that's a different story. I've done lots of metal work but am getting tired of it. Good luck and enjoy
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirbyland wrote:
beer-

OMG this is the best quote ever. We should all live by this.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
...the material which the blind man sees...

Somebody 'splain this part in layman's speak.
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Yeah. Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
kombisutra wrote:

.x2, I came up with nothing when figuring that line.
C.C.C.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
kombisutra wrote:

Good Hash?
greenboat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time something breaks, I can't wait to fix it....once it is fixed, I can not wait till something else goes wrong so I can fix and learn something else about VW I did not know.....Madness I tell you
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.C.C. wrote:
BarryL wrote:
kombisutra wrote:

Good Hash?

kombisutra wrote:

The real prize is not the material which the blind man sees, but instead, the vision and truth he gains in the journey.

While not condemning the OP as "blind", (I've looked at every picture in his Gallery), the post is seemed tunnel vision, whining for the aesthetic end product, yet not embracing the required enlightenment of getting there.

Working the bugs out and suffering pain is a required part of my evolution, and I would rather empty a keg with the noble war-fighters who have seen and been there, than the button-pushers who know only what it is to turn a key.
Derek Waycaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a good friend of mine says:"you gotta want it mister". Think of the bus like a woman who wants to be properly courted before giving it all away. Some buses are easy, like sluts that don't care who rides or drives 'em. Some buses are true ladies that tease and play hard to get, and won't just give it up to anybody but when you finally get it, it's fantastic. Tell her you love her and mean it.
72 SB stock daily cream puff
79 SB Vert project
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-beer
I'm there Laughing Laughing Applause

Last edited by volksaddict on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Got it. Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. Got it.
thewalkingdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Have you ever had a bus you wanted to give up on? I do Reply with quote

Just look at my handle, many times walked to a phone (still don't have or want one) to get AAA to the rescue (AAA is good to have). Nice getting picked up by a young ladies and told "I stopped because I saw your van and you don't look like and ax murderer." Laughing (true story)

There will always something to fix or tweak and once all is running you can finally relax and enjoy the ride. But whose is ever finished?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
C.C.C. wrote:
BarryL wrote:
kombisutra wrote:
...the...

'splain

Good Hash?

kombisutra wrote:

The real...journey.

...whining for the aesthetic end product, yet not embracing the required enlightenment of getting there.

Tripadelic Rorschach blood stains on rainbowed oil.
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jeremy57ride"]The very thing you're hating needs to become the thing you embrace.

This makes me think: Zen and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: