Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New guy 65 Notch project!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agentwright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: New guy 65 Notch project! Reply with quote

a few of you may have seen the white 65 notch on the classifieds. welp, its MINE! i have wanted a notch for a LONG time and i am super stoked to finally have one, not to mention such a CLEAN project to start with. i am so used to working on dirty rusty pieces of crap lol this will be a nice change. it looks like it is pretty much all there and it has a ton of new parts. It has a new set of floor pans, and an irs rear. not sure what size the motor is but its a single port. and turns over freely. couple sets of dual carbs. all kinda of goodies. Ill kep you guys updated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: looking good Reply with quote

looking good
enjoy end keep up date
Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: New guy 65 Notch project! Reply with quote

oremkid wrote:
a few of you may have seen the white 65 notch on the classifieds. welp, its MINE! i have wanted a notch for a LONG time and i am super stoked to finally have one, not to mention such a CLEAN project to start with. i am so used to working on dirty rusty pieces of crap lol this will be a nice change. it looks like it is pretty much all there and it has a ton of new parts. It has a new set of floor pans, and an irs rear. not sure what size the motor is but its a single port. and turns over freely. couple sets of dual carbs. all kinda of goodies. Ill kep you guys updated

How did they do the IRS conversion? Add trailing arms to the swing axle subframe? Or just install an IRS subframe? If the later, then you'll need to figure out how to "hang" the engine.
Nice project though. We need more pics. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Agentwright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure its a whole irs subframe
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at the pics of this notch last night in the classifieds. It is just an IRS subframe. The pics didn't show the engine bay, so don't know if the previous owner modified the engine bay to include the irs engine mounts.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oremkid wrote:
Pretty sure its a whole irs subframe

Yeah, I kind of figured it would be like that. On my own 65 Notch, I used some late model Squareback hangers, trimmed them a little and flipped them over, and welded them to the body. But, I also had to trim the airbox tunnel on each side, so I could fit the hanger brackets in place. On late Notchback (with IRS), they put a square hole thru the engine bay side wall, to re-direct the water drains. This allowed some extra room for the hanger brackets. I found this out 6 years after I did my own car, due to purchasing a late Notch and having a look at how VW did it. I might have a couple of pics in the gallery, from 03 or 04 from when I did my 65. I'll take a look, and see about adding them here, so you can get an idea what you're looking at.

Edit; I thought I had some late model Notch mount shots but I don't. Here's 3 from when I did my 65 Notch though.

64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Agentwright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well crap... this isnt going to be as easy as i hoped. but oh well, it will give me a chance to practice with that new welder a bit. Here is my engine compartment. and motor and trans.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, IF you look at where I cut the tin, it might give you an idea of what you'll need to do. On mine, I put the mounting bracket legs facing down, so I could tie more into the body. I trimmed off the bottom of the airbox duct, and moved the bottom up, and left a small (6mm) gap for water to drain out. It hasn't hurt air flow to the engine, and I've driven in some hot weather for long distances too. Cool

You can see the differences in the shapes between your pics and my pics. On yours, the air box drops down toward the rear, as that's the drain. However, that part of the drop section, is where you need to install the hanger bracket. Rolling Eyes

Mine is set up so that I can change the bolt in mount (like a late stock t-3), and I have some 3/4 inch spacers that go between the rubber mount part and the hanger bracket. My hanger is welded in lower to allow a mount change, but the spacers set the engine to the correct height, as I didn't really want to trim any more off the air duct to get everything in the right spot and allow mount changes. If you look hard at the dates of the pics I posted, you'll see I did this back in Nov of 02. Shocked I haven't had any issues with it at all, in all these years since I did it.

You might want to contact either Mike Fisher, or Joel (Boo-Koo-Z) and see IF either has a set of Squareback (or Fastback) engine hanger mounts (that are welded to the body) for sale.

If you need any help, just ask (PM) or post the question here in your thread. I'm more than willing to help. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be removing my engine mounts if you cannot find some. I am putting in a Berrien frame horn kit & will be removing the hangers to clean up the area. PM me if you have any issues. Good luck
Agentwright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have gotten started on my project notch. The car came with a ton of new parts. So I decoded to start with the vent and pop out windows. I had a couple sets of pop out frames but only two pieces of glass. Both were drives side. But I had another passenger side one. So after cleaning up and installong the new seals they are ready to move from the large pile of dirty parts to the much smaller pile of clean parts. The vwnt window was disassembled and painted and new seals went on. Who is the best supplier of original rubber seals? The ones that came with the car are from mid america I think. The main vent seal fit fine but the rear seal would not fit no matter what. It was just to big to fit in the grove..
Any whay here is the before and after of dirty to clean for the pop out and the vent window.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: