Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tire chain size
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: tire chain size Reply with quote

Hi: I got an 86 vanagon and have Hankook RA08 195R14 tires on stock steel rims. I understand these are larger tires than stock.

I need to fit tire chains on the van. the tire chain refereance charts do not list a 195R14 tire. the listing has a number rather than "R" in the tire sizing (example 195 75 14)

how do I translate the 195R14 tire size to one of the numbered sizes???

see attached tire size/chain chart....http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/automotive/detail-page/SCC_Tire_Guide_2013_Passenger_Light_Truck.pdf

thanks!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '75' in your example is the aspect ratio -- that would be approximately '80' for a metric tire like you mention.

I believe the 'R' simply indicates that the tire is a radial.

So... chains for a 195 80 14 would likely be what you seek.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so your saying they left out the number 80 in the tire size designation on the ones I have on my van.
That is not cool, but at least I know what it is equivalent too now, thanks!!!!

golly I have looked all over TireRack and other places and none of the online tire calculators even allow you to enter the R, and with no aspect ratio to enter, the calculators don't function.

So I need to look for chains that fit a 195-80-14 tire.

PS the chain/tire guide that I attached in the above posts does NOT offer a 195-80-14 tire chain size, the list ends at 195-75-14!!!!

crap!!! want to go to Yosemite Saturday, and cant figure what size chains I need.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

PS the chain/tire guide that I attached in the above posts does NOT offer a 195-80-14 tire chain size, the list ends at 195-75-14!!!!

The chain for a 195 75 14 will fit your tires. Tire chains are always quite a bit longer than they need to be so you can cut them to the correct length for your vehicle.

I would remove one of your wheels at home and install one chain on it and take out as much slack as you can. Then cut off the extra links, BUT you should leave 3 extra links on each side so you can install them more easily.

When installing for real use you will want to install as snug as you can, then take the vehicle up to 25 MPH, then gradually slow to a stop on the side of the road and take up any extra links, the large rubber band will pull any/all slack to the outside of the wheel so you will only have to adjust the outside. At this point there should be minimal slack in the chains and you will have no worries about them coming loose or banging any part of your van Smile You might find that you have to remove another link or 2 when you get home, once the "tails" are more than 4 links they could start to hit the body or suspension...

Hope this helps!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
crap!!! want to go to Yosemite Saturday, and cant figure what size chains I need.

What part of "California" are you in? I have some chains that fit the stock tires if you're near OC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

Piggy backing on this thread.

I have the Yokohama 185R14 Tires, Model Y356 C.

Need to pick up some chains, can't figure out what the aspect ratio would be for these. Looks like it would be 55, 60 or 65. Not sure why Yokohama doesn't include this number.

Can anyone advise on which size is correct? Also if you have this tire and recommend a specific chain that would be welcomed also.

First time purchasing/using tire chains.

Thanks!
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

measure the distance from the edge of the tire to the top of the rim and convert it to mm's and that will be your aspect ratio.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't that just give me the section height of the tire? Aspect is width divided by height, right?

I'd love to just get the official number so I can be sure I'm spending my money on the right tire chains.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

That size doesn't have an aspect ratio as part of the size description. 82 or 80 is the closest.

195/75/14 tires are fairly close to that size tire overall.

Mark

dcaver01 wrote:
Piggy backing on this thread.

I have the Yokohama 185R14 Tires, Model Y356 C.

Need to pick up some chains, can't figure out what the aspect ratio would be for these. Looks like it would be 55, 60 or 65. Not sure why Yokohama doesn't include this number.

Can anyone advise on which size is correct? Also if you have this tire and recommend a specific chain that would be welcomed also.

First time purchasing/using tire chains.

Thanks!
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

dcaver01 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't that just give me the section height of the tire? Aspect is width divided by height, right?

I'd love to just get the official number so I can be sure I'm spending my money on the right tire chains.

the section height is given a number that is a percentage of the width. thus the ratio of height to width.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
dcaver01 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

the section height is given a number that is a percentage of the width. thus the ratio of height to width.

example if your tire is five inches wide and its side wall is 3 inches from the rim then the ratio would be: 125/75/60 since 75 is 60 percent of 125.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

Thanks yea, I measured, not sure how accurate it is as I'm using a ruler on a surface that isn't flat.

Came up with 140/120/85

I'll let you know if the snow chains fit these specs.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

That's a tough call to measure the sidewall, due to variations in rim lip, and the vagueness of where to measure the height. I like Mark's reply to pick your tire chains - use 75 and since chains are designed for a variety and some extra, they will fit even though the actual size is 80 or 82.

As mentioned, a little prep of the chains and installing them once where it is warm and dry is a great call. You can be sure neither of those two variables will accompany your first real installation! It will be cold, wet, and possibly dark. In addition, it may be stressful due to a storm, and there may be other vehicles blasting past you at uncomfortable speeds and tossing slush on you.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

lol ok.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

You can't determine the design section width very well as the actual section width is dependent on the width of the rim the tire is installed on. You pretty much need to go by the tire size charts.

Always test fit your chains before heading out into the wilds.
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definitely do a dry run before heading up into the snowy mountains this weekend.

I'm looking at getting this model from peerless: http://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction/tirechains/713

Says it fits 185-14, appears to fit a wide range of tires so maybe this is the way to go. I'll let you know how it goes. If you don't hear back, assume I got stuck in a snow drift.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

dcaver01 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definitely do a dry run before heading up into the snowy mountains this weekend.

I'm looking at getting this model from peerless: http://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction/tirechains/713

Says it fits 185-14, appears to fit a wide range of tires so maybe this is the way to go. I'll let you know how it goes. If you don't hear back, assume I got stuck in a snow drift.

You should really check out the snow chain review that Vanis did a few weeks ago.
Those chains went on really easily and I sent him into a pretty snowpacked dirt road and he did just fine.
60 bucks at walmart.
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: tire chain size Reply with quote

Thanks Tobias, I checked out the review and those do seem like a solid option. Went ahead and ordered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: