Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Luggage area panel restoration
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Luggage area panel restoration Reply with quote

I've been looking for a repro panel to replace the right rear vinyl covered one in the luggage area. Since this one is molded to fit the contours of the gas tank filler area, it's not as simple to reproduce as all the other ones, or so I thought.

I tried spraying water onto a newly cut panel to soften it, but that only works with a simple bend, and once the panels dry, they end up with a slight amount of warping. I concluded the water method does not work at all for this particular panel. So on to the next attempt......

I saw on a woodworking video that steam will make Masonite panels very flexible and moldable, so I decided to give that a try with another freshly cut panel I previously traced onto 1/8th inch thick Masonite, using the original as a template. I put the panel into 2 plastic garbage bags and then taped them closed around the nozzle of my Wagner floor steamer, which you can get at any hardware store. After 10 minutes in the steam bag, the panel was much more pliably, and I was able to mold it into shape using only hand pressure. I let it air dry in place overnight, using the original screws and a heavy weight, and the resulting panel was a perfect copy of the original.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When the new panel was dry, there were a few small surface cracks in the Masonite from pressing it just a little too hard over the gas tank filler tube bulge, but I just skimmed this with a little Bondo and gave the panel several coats of gloss black paint over which to apply some black "leather look" vinyl I found in the contact paper area at Home Depot. This stuff is a near perfect copy of the factory original vinyl, and was on clearance for $8 (for enough to do every panel). It sticks pretty well over a painted surface, but not so well to unpainted Masonite. As you can see, the end result is nearly identical to the original, so if the vinyl holds up to the summer heat without pealing off, I'll consider this a success Razz

Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work that looks great!
webwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I'm probably going to kid-proof mine with the ABS panels from werks, but this is really quite nice!

M
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
knightsofni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great
Thanks for sharing
I have a few panels that need replacing
Regards
Knights
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Replacement panel sources Reply with quote

I looked around for a while, trying to find a replacement panel and never could, so that's why I tried steaming the Masonite, but the idea of using a piece of black textured ABS plastic panel would probably be the ultimate material to make these from, since you'd never have to worry about water damage again. You could use a heat gun to soften the "bulge" area just enough to mold it. From what I can tell this panel is unique to the later bus, maybe '78 and '79 only have this, since earlier models have the gas tank filler located slightly more forward. That's probably why I can't find it anywhere......
busdaddy
Samba Member

Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great!, nice work!

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: