Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust leak at heater box
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Exhaust leak at heater box Reply with quote

I have an '81, aircooled California emissions vanagon. Since the air-cooled experts tend to hang on this forum &, as I understand it, the later bays have the same 2000cc fuel injected engines, I'm venturing into this new territory to ask my question.

I was told that I have an exhaust leak in the right hand heater box. I do NOT smell any exhaust in the heat system, which makes me wonder if there is indeed a leak within the box. Before I tear apart things (and break off studs!) I'd like to know of anyone's experience of detecting leaks.

Second question. If replacement is on my horizon and since the Cali system exhaust is unobtanium, can anyone recommend an aftermarket set-up that might even give me a bit more oomph and not be loud?
Thanks in advance for all of your help.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waves2day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the manifold to the head leaking? Or are you talking about muffler leaks? I only ask cause I don't think heaterboxes are different regarding cali or federal...

Can you hear a leak(ticking sound) while its running?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park the bus (or Van in your case) with one wheel up on a curb and set the brake, then have a helper hold a towel or thier foot against the end of the tailpipe while you lay underneath and listen for where the sound is coming from. Watch out, those pipes under there are hot!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leak appears around the heat exchanger. My question is if the leak is indeed in the exhaust pipe which is surrounded by the heat exchanger would one smell exhaust in the cabin when the heat vents are open? If not, then I'm guessing the leak is coming from the connection to the head, but it's real hard to tell, even with "the ol' plug the exhaust & feel around trick". I know there is a leak in the special only-on-a-Cali-stainless steel header on the left side. I am assuming that there is a 50/50 chance of breaking off a stud when trying to remove the pipe, so I'm feeling lots of trepidation for the job.

The Cali emissions definitely has a unique heat exchanger on the left side (see Bentley manual for picture).

Thanks for your advice.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waves2day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the misread. Didn't know the HE was different on the cali model sorry. I would assume you could smell it but maybe not... anything is possible. Sorry again for being of no help. Good luck.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then the question, becomes do you need (and want) to keep the Cali style HE? If so then you have some big work to do, but if you are able to be flexible can you simply acquire a non-cali exhaust setup and move-on? Either way sound like you need to take care in removing the exhaust stud

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Ca heat exchanger Reply with quote

Take your time and use a good penetrant like PB-blaster, Kroil, or liquid wrench.

You can't force these exhaust nuts off or YOU will break the studs.
Spaying 2 or 3 times a day for a few days will most likely be enough
and then, you will need to take your time loosening any of the nuts.

As for the CA. system yes, it is an abomination for an exhaust system but,
the design worked for VW in order to pass the emission law for CA.

Take your time doing this Please. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: