Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ready for Solar
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Getting ready for Solar Reply with quote

I just finished getting the house bank wired up with the Solar Charge control unit. This is a pretty nice unit that will let me monitor my house bank and let me know amps in and amps out. I can turn on each accessory and see how much it draws to get an idea of how big of a system I need to keep the dual Optima Blue tops charged up.

I also tidied things up with a Blue Sea fuse panel for all the accessory hookups.

I should have the panel installed this week and see how this all works out. Right now I will have a small 28Watt Thin film panel attached to the top of the Thule skybox. Later I will be installing a larger panel. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

I installed two Renogy 100 watt mono-crystalline panels on the roof, charging a Concorde 12 volt 258 Ah AGM under the rear seat.

'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
'84 Vanagon Westfalia Camper ("Eileen")
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Power Film Flexible solar panel arrived today.

I got a size that would fit on the top of the Thule Skybox. 76" x 14". It is a 28 Watt panel.

I bolted through the grommet holes into the top of the Thule. Then I ran a bead of silicone along the inside edges to glue it down.

It only weighs 1.5lb and I wanted something pretty stealthy up there but still wanted something going into the battery during the day. I am excited to get it installed. The wiring from the box to the panel was easy. I used the 15' wire ran it down through the rubber boot (that the rear hatch wiring goes through) then along the cabinets and upper tray to the solar charge controller.

I left a little slack in the line for opening the box and for raising the pop top.

Other than the wire, you would never know there is a panel making power up there!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: