Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving to Alaska (fixing the Syncro) skills test (LONG)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Driving to Alaska (fixing the Syncro) skills test (LONG) Reply with quote

Well we spent a couple weekends doing maintenance on my Sons' 87 Syncro. He is headed for Alaska to work for the summer. We did all the fluid changes, brakes, CV joints (boots), replaced all the fuel lines, starter motor, repacked the rear wheel bearings, and passed inspection/emissions.

It runs great but has had a starting issue. It was flooding when trying to start. But after about 10 cranks it fired up. We checked the grounds, ignition wires, but still having some issues. It has done this for about 5 months so he said he can live with it.

So hugs and goodbyes, off he goes to Alaska from Utah. Yup, starting issues are getting worse, I was thinking an injector was leaking and flooding it. But it would still start so smiley on his way.

Crossed the border to Canada and stopped for fuel. Almost didn't start lots of cranking, flooded smell from exhaust. Then fired up. Drove along and started to hear terrible scraping grinding noises from the drivers side front wheel. He stopped did an inspection and called me. "Dad, you know the two little Phillips head bolts that hold the rock guard and the new front boot protectors that YOU installed"," they came loose and the guard is rubbing on the new rotor that YOU installed" How do I get those bolts off holding the brake caliper? They are freakin tight and I don't have YOUR big wrenches! He got it all tore down, came up with another bolt from the parts store in town, then reassembled it and was on his way. Went to start and it was the same thing, just barely got it going this time. Whatever it is, it is getting worse. And he is headed for more remote Canada now. (and stressed about turning off the engine)

So now I lay here in bed thinking of what it could be.

I emailed him the Pro-Training manual first thing this morning then got a text. "The van won't start" no matter what I try it just won't start, we are up a forest service road in BF Canada and I had to walk up a ridge to get this text out, what do I do?"

I thought of all the things to check, clamp off the fuel line from the pump, let the engine clean out and fire / check for spark at the distributor / check the injectors for spray-leaking, etc... So I texted him back to check for spark from the coil, he checked "NO SPARK, NOTHING" now what do I do? I said it sounds like electrical to the coil, make a hot wire from the alternator post and check for spark again. "NO SPARK DAD". Arggghhhh.... Rolling Eyes Then he called me frustrated having tried everything he could and it came down to probably needing a part. He said I will get back with you. So I started looking for towing services around Clinton, BC and thinking the worst.

Next text a while later, "Dad, I have the old coil in my spare parts bin, I am going to install it now".

About 20 minutes goes by then another text "Dad, as soon as I put the other coil on, Hot Spark jump across to the center post on the distributor, I hooked up the coil wire and it fired right up! Thank God for keeping some spare parts!"

Whew!!! I am so proud of him for taking the time to read the Bentley, roll up his sleeves, and fix some of this stuff. Applause If your gonna drive an older Vanagon, take tools, some spare parts, a Bentley, and be prepared for the unexpected!

This will all go down as good memories on a fun trip to Alaska for him one day. But for right now he just wants it to start when he turns the key! Wink

So if you ever have issues, check for spark, fuel, connections, then read!

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well boys good job if you get down to Wasilla drop in to my shop (I am one of the last old vw shops in Alaska) The Abbey phone is 907-376-6919 mike
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work by your son. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self....MTDI swap....then you won't have any of these worries as long as you park on the top of a hill every night! Glad to know there are a few young uns out there who don't have their head stuck up their.....cell phone! Great effort!
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

The Syncro and Son have landed in Prince George. He said he has turned it off and started it up several times taking photos today. He also said it runs smoother down the road also. He sounded a lot better than he did this morning.

Good things to hear when your son is driving across Canada heading to Alaska in a vehicle much older than he is!

Lifes lessons can be had out on the road. As Captain Ron would say "The best way to find out Kitty is to get her out on the ocean. If anything is going to happen , it's going to happen out there."

Good for him, I just wish I was out there too! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he taking the Casiar or staying on the AlCan the whole way?

Where at in Alaska is he going to be working?

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your son is learning some valuable experience. Glad to hear he figured it out.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to see him pass by Wink
Great drive for seeing the northern lights this time of year and I hope he sees them. I just drove the Dempster on the weekend and saw an amazing display. Popcorn

If he is going the Alaska Highway a great ski hill north of Prince George is Powder King, they get too much powder sometime! If he is going the Cassiar, Smithers Hudson Bay Mountain is sweet also. And the Liard Hotsprings on the Alaska Highway are a must stop for soak.
1987 1.6 TD (JX) 1.9 TD (AAZ) Syncro Transporter Tintop with front and back lockers - Escorial Green. Got a North American High Top buried in snow waiting for a spring, summer when-oh-when-lord install.
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my kids turn into explorers too. But I hope they don't blame me when things brake... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svenakela wrote:
I wish my kids turn into explorers too. But I hope they don't blame me when things brake... Smile

He didn't really blame me, but I did learn to double check torque values before buttoning up repairs.

I get to learn also!

From the last report all is good and he is headed to Dawson. Mile (0)zero of the Alaska Highway. Very Happy
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool story...laird hot springs is amazing, on my way back home I went completely out of my way to go there again
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laird is one of my always stops on the run Iam not a member of the 40 below club yet but 30 below is all the colder it has been when I have been there I have run the road 18 round trips now.
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Dawson Creek, different than Dawson. We went through Dawson last spring, pretty cool if you like mining stuff.

2006 Subbie OBXT

Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 for a stop at Liard!
Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he, ya mile 0 is Dawson Creek, BC and the other Dawson is Dawson City, Yukon and they are about 1,200 miles apart. Funny thing is when I lived in Dawson City the Post Office even mixed it up sometimes! Embarassed

Hey kbeefy, I just checked out your blog and I think I had spotted your rig when you passed through Whitehorse, sweet rig you got, I was doing some serious drooling!
1987 1.6 TD (JX) 1.9 TD (AAZ) Syncro Transporter Tintop with front and back lockers - Escorial Green. Got a North American High Top buried in snow waiting for a spring, summer when-oh-when-lord install.
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yukon Syncro wrote:
He he, ya mile 0 is Dawson Creek, BC and the other Dawson is Dawson City, Yukon and they are about 1,200 miles apart. Funny thing is when I lived in Dawson City the Post Office even mixed it up sometimes! Embarassed

Hey kbeefy, I just checked out your blog and I think I had spotted your rig when you passed through Whitehorse, sweet rig you got, I was doing some serious drooling!

Thanks!

I camped out past Takhini Hot Springs on a little trail off a forest road. It rained all night antd the dry rutted road turned to slop overnight. If I was in a 2x we would've had to wasit for it to dry out. When I came into Whitehorse the wife was still sleeping on the lower bed, she didn't even know I was 4 wheeling for 5 miles in sloppy spring muddy roads before driving through town and finally waking up when I stopped at a grocery store. She really loves the van.

2006 Subbie OBXT

Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny you camped a couple miles from my place! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: