Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got this kit today.
It's a new era.

Prob gonna cull some forks but you get the idea.

The kit was $62 delivered.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1083736955/volkswagen...3ILfkTXiis

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

Cool!

I didn't know you are supposed to put kitchen stuff in there... mine seems jammed with tools, parts, emergency repair tape, test probes, and 4 pairs of chopsticks. So.. I guess the chopsticks are the kitchen stuff for me? (I use them to push the fuel fill flap in the tank inlet open when I do crazy stuff like add MMO or SeaFoam.) For some reason, my pots/pans/bowls/flatware all ride in the sink.

How about a sink organizer?

-bobby
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

nice find!

etsy link seems broken on my end though Sad

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

Oops, sorry.
Edited Etsy link (^^above^^)

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

why would repair items/tools ever be in the 'kitchen' ? Confused

those are kept in the back 'tool garage' cabinet.

bobbyblack wrote:
Cool!

I didn't know you are supposed to put kitchen stuff in there... mine seems jammed with tools, parts, emergency repair tape, test probes, and 4 pairs of chopsticks. So.. I guess the chopsticks are the kitchen stuff for me? (I use them to push the fuel fill flap in the tank inlet open when I do crazy stuff like add MMO or SeaFoam.) For some reason, my pots/pans/bowls/flatware all ride in the sink.

How about a sink organizer?

-bobby

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

If you have a 3d printer or access to one, you can print those for free from thingiverse, plus multiple vanagon part files on there as well. Fyi most public libraries have 3d printers for public use now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

I never thought to look at thingiverse......

Your post bummed me out because I thought I was supporting the designer.
But thingiverse has a different organizer, just 3 boxes..
The set I bought has a sliding tray above the knife/fork/spoons trays.
Sliding tray for the win !! (but $62)
So I WAS supporting the designer. Wink

Well anyway my nephew just bought a nice 3d printer so I'm probably gonna start making 'things' now.

candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I never thought to look at thingiverse......

Your post bummed me out because I thought I was supporting the designer.
But thingiverse has a different organizer, just 3 boxes..
The set I bought has a sliding tray above the knife/fork/spoons trays.
Sliding tray for the win !! (but $62)
So I WAS supporting the designer. Wink

Well anyway my nephew just bought a nice 3d printer so I'm probably gonna start making 'things' now.

Youre right in supporting the designer, absolutely! I was merely pointing out for anyone else that 3d printing and thingiverse is a viable option, if applicable, for certain vanagon parts as well as a plethora of fun things in general to print. My kids and I geek out on it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

Amazing!

I'm waiting on mine, it should be here anytime now.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

I made this with some scrap wood I had laying around. Free plus an hour of time in the workshop.

The tray lifts out to reveal “hidden” storage for paper napkins etc.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

Thank you SCM. You did a really nice job with rabbets and so on. Titebond 2 is great stuff and just butt joints would work well so a less skilled guy could do it quickly that way too. Not knocking the OP's organizer. You have shown the same thing without needing a printer or $62.

Duncan
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
why would repair items/tools ever be in the 'kitchen' ? Confused

those are kept in the back 'tool garage' cabinet.

I thought that was the linen closet. Tools are kept in the bench seat tool chest. Wink

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I thought that was the linen closet.

"Uncle Owen, this linen closet has a bad motivator!"

Its full of spare oil and coolant. My mosquito net is on the top shelf there tho, is that a linen? I'll stick a tool just about anywhere!
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

When my wife and I first started dating in 2001, she took one look at that drawer and decided change was needed. I can’t remember where she bought these small organizers, but they fit perfectly and there’s been no return to my bachelor state of disorganization. I really like the knife storage in SCM’s post. That may be the next idea.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4804372

Here is a link to print your own. Some have mentioned printing without a 'bottom' so that things could dry.

I would recommend printing in PETG or ABS. I love PETG and GoWesty is now selling products printed in PETG.

With my personal PETG direct-drive settings at 35% infill, this will take 75 hours and 580g (a little over half a roll) to print.

If you haven't bought a 3D printer, you should. It is seriously an awesome 'tool' to have. A $250 Ender 3v2 will go far. Search the Thingiverse website above for "vanagon" and see all the free models people put out there!

But also don't hesitate to buy from other sellers that are printing in ABS (difficult to do) and have personally designed parts. I still buy 3d printed products despite having my own printer.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

Thingiverse model doesn't have this sliding upper tray.

That said, if I saw that thingiverse model after my nephew gets the 3d printer up & running....
but before I saw the one with the upper tray, I'd be printing for sure.

I do like the sliding tray.

I'm gonna have me some fun with that 3d printer.

deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

Can a later model "U-shaped" drawer fit into the older model Westy that came with just the simple, smaller, rectangular drawer?
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

Yes. Go westy sells them
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Yes. Go westy sells them

I've seen the "Large wooden drawer organizer" GW sells, but not the large wooden drawer itself.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Westfalia kitchen "junk" drawer organizer Reply with quote

jmillsj wrote:
I really like the knife storage in SCM’s post. That may be the next idea.

]

It was super easy to make. Two thin bamboo cutting boards, one with shallow dados cut to the same width as my knives, then sandwiched together with some glue and the screws attaching it to the door.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: