Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI silicone hoses
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpronto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have an AFN 1.9 TDI conversion I did in my van and one of the silicone hoses has a seep through it’s plys. No cuts or abrasions. It’s a GeeBee’s and apparently no warranty. Does anyone know of a silicone hose maker who warrants their hoses for life? These have aprox 16k miles on it. If geebee won’t let the vendor break up a kit I have to buy a whole new set at around 800.
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

Brickwerks is your friend!
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/engine-conversion-parts/1-9d-td-tdi/cooling.html
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
Brickwerks is your friend!

Another reason to love Brickwerks. Thanks for posting that link!
jpronto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and link. I have a message out to them now waiting on a response. The description said not for the steel coolant lines, which I have after market SS lines.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

jpronto wrote:
Thanks for the reply and link. I have a message out to them now waiting on a response. The description said not for the steel coolant lines, which I have after market SS lines.

They meant earlier diesel steel coolant pipes, that are smaller diameter and don't end up in the same place in the engine bay.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, hose reducers are available to fit larger hoses to smaller fittings. Always confirm your dimensions, but I've used these with good success.
https://vancafe.com/hose-adapter/

Other sizes are available for other installations:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dayco-radiator-hose-reducer-1-3-4-to-1-1-2-76950/10844615-P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

Okay... let's talk brass tacks.. Smile Which hose do you need?

Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpronto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

Picture #4, mine is seeping through a molding flaw under the first junction, the split going to the coolant tank. I would see the white residue of the coolant below but could never figure out where it was coming from until about 10,000 miles.
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

That REALLY sucks given that he pumps himself up so much about how be provides the best "aircraft quality" hoses in the industry. Were you able to source yet?
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
jpronto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

Picture #4, mine is seeping through a molding flaw under the first junction, the split going to the coolant tank. I would see the white residue of the coolant below but could never figure out where it was coming from until about 10,000 miles.
jpronto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

Brickworks can send a single hose aprox 172.00 with shipping. Anyone know how to contact GeeBee directly? So far all I can get is the vendor the hoses were sourced though -Cascade. I would certainly prefer to hear from the manufacturer directly before holding them in total low regard, but I have been taking to Cascade since last summer and they are always apologetic and responsive at first and then I don’t hear back from them. I think I’m done with them.
jpronto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

Wow! I just found a number for Gee-Bee and talked to Guy and he’s going to make me a new one!!!! Stands behind his product!!!!!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

I've had several dealings with GEE BEE and he has always been a straightforward and standup individual. I'm not surprised that he stood behind his product. I'm also not sure why chrismsnt has an issue with him saying he provides "aircraft quality" hoses. My understanding is that his entire business has been providing silicone parts to the aircraft industry. They are literally "aircraft quality" hoses. He only began making silicone hoses for VWs because he is an enthusiast.
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI silicone hoses Reply with quote

jpronto wrote:
Wow! I just found a number for Gee-Bee and talked to Guy and he’s going to make me a new one!!!! Stands behind his product!!!!!

I'm glad to hear that. My experience with the guy was TOTALLY the opposite. Just a complete ass... took my money, said the next run was going to go in 3 weeks. I contact 4 weeks later and stated it'll be another 4-6. I told him I wanted a refund and I'd go with a reputable dealer (Brickwerks) and then he goes on a rant that he's the best in the business and go ahead and buy China crap. I will never deal with him again!
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: