Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Pierside Parts- Huntington Beach

Double that!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
LucKaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My engine is a stock 1600 dp with a dished cam and oil pump in an AE case. If I were to change my cam to say.... a W100, can I just change out the oil pump to the one for a flat cam gear, or would the case need to be altered also?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

LucKaS wrote:
My engine is a stock 1600 dp with a dished cam and oil pump in an AE case. If I were to change my cam to say.... a W100, can I just change out the oil pump to the one for a flat cam gear, or would the case need to be altered also?

All you'd need to do is to install an oil pump for a flat cam gear, as those aftermarket types are all "flat", I believe, no change to the engine case.

You might also be able to get by with just a gear with shaft that matches up perfectly with your oil pump. I did just that when I needed a Maxi2 oil pump/filter for a dished cam (and CB was backordered on them) so I just bought a typical pump and just used its shafted gear; that was over 20 years ago, still running.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Paul Deatherage wrote:
Here's a stupid question: I just bought a gauze aftermarket air filter for my 1641cc, as a stop-gap until I find the right OE air cleaner. Question: Do all gauze aftermarket air filters need to be oiled? Thanks!

Don't think so. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation though.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ty for the recommendation on parts in so cal guys. Ill check them out today!

Also, favorite center consoles? I am kina real sick of not having a cup holder and am trying to decide if I should build one or buy one
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:

Also, favorite center consoles? I am kina real sick of not having a cup holder and am trying to decide if I should build one or buy one

I have the Empi "Deluxe" console. It sucks. Can't speak to the others though.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

I have the Empi "Deluxe" console. It sucks. Can't speak to the others though.

I have this one, it's okay:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/vw-hump-basket-Black.html

I've considered this one, looks a bit more secure- slides in place of the ashtray:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/DH-LATEBUG.html
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, I have one of those ashtray ones too. It sucks worse than the console. Blocks access to stuff, and the cup holders are too small for damn near anything.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hahaha. Duely noted. The one I was mainly looking at is this one

https://www.evwparts.com/vwparts/CenterConsole/25-1109.html

That said, if they all realisticaly suck, I may just look into making my own tbh. Seems like something that can tie into the shift plate bolts so it doesnt go everywhere doesnt even exist
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Honestly, build your own.

Make hardboard templates and use a router to cut the wood when you have a good design. Then you can sell 'em!

I thought about doing that myself, but I really just don't have time. Sad I have all the tools and the know-how. Just not the time.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Honestly, build your own.

Make hardboard templates and use a router to cut the wood when you have a good design. Then you can sell 'em!

I thought about doing that myself, but I really just don't have time. Sad I have all the tools and the know-how. Just not the time.

haha. I will probably actually just make a 3d printed version to test and then fab them out of metal or maybe do a fiberglass mold. TBH, depending on the design, a finished 3d print may not be a bad move either. my dad and I have built up a fairly extensive shop in his garage over the years luckily enough, so i have some options at least. Only problem with it is there isnt enough room to pull my car in and I dont have a garage at all...
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Same here, my garage IS my workshop. No room for a car. So it sits uncovered in my carport...

I have a 3D printer and a CNC router as well. That I have never really learned how to use. BWAHAHAHA. I used them each once to make sure they worked and that's it.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Same here, my garage IS my workshop. No room for a car. So it sits uncovered in my carport...

I have a 3D printer and a CNC router as well. That I have never really learned how to use. BWAHAHAHA. I used them each once to make sure they worked and that's it.

you should 100% learn man. TBH, even as just a side job that you kind of set up and forget while you do your hobbies, you can learn some decent money doing it. I got my router to make vacuum molds for ressin impregnation and such (mostly doing smaller cases and such currently since it is only 24x24) and use the 3d printer to make blanks for resin molds of assorted things (mostly mechanical keyboards currently). It fairly easily pays for my mild car hobby as it stands and I basicaly do 1 hour of work and let it go for 5-6 hours. If youve already got the set up, learn to use it!
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
DurocShark wrote:

you should 100% learn man. TBH, even as just a side job that you kind of set up and forget while you do your hobbies, you can learn some decent money doing it. I got my router to make vacuum molds for ressin impregnation and such (mostly doing smaller cases and such currently since it is only 24x24) and use the 3d printer to make blanks for resin molds of assorted things (mostly mechanical keyboards currently). It fairly easily pays for my mild car hobby as it stands and I basicaly do 1 hour of work and let it go for 5-6 hours. If youve already got the set up, learn to use it!

I should. The thing is my hobby is collecting hobbies. Embarassed There's only so much time in the day.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That is so damn relatable. I end up going through phases with hobbies and change about every 6 months or so. So far I have picked up computers, fashion, cars, woodworking, leather working, and many, many others. I think the only two I stick with entirely are resin casting and milling just cause they make money

EDIT: The worst is switching inside of a hobby though. Im currently trying to plan my build progression for my bug and just cant decide at all what I want to do suspension wise because I currently have 1 foot in rally, 1 in track, and maybe half a hand in drift. Makes it so damn hard what to do with my blank slate of a car tbh
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Back to the thread...

I never got a response on my pinion gear question. Can one from a 40 horse be used in a later engine?
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Back to the thread...

I never got a response on my pinion gear question. Can one from a 40 horse be used in a later engine?

take this with a grain of salt since im having trouble confirming it, but a 1200cc should have a 4.375 R&P while most of the later bugs have a 3.88, so it wouldn't be great even if it does work. Any reason specifically you want to use that pinion?
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dumb question of my own. What is the difference between these two turn signal switches to get a $40 difference in price?

http://www.piersideparts.net/111953513F.html

https://www.jbugs.com/product/111953513F.html
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
dumb question of my own. What is the difference between these two turn signal switches to get a $40 difference in price?

http://www.piersideparts.net/111953513F.html

https://www.jbugs.com/product/111953513F.html

JBugs has shitty Chinese parts. Pierside carries both the Chinese one and a Brazilian one, they might even have a German one. Call and ask them.

FWIW, JBugs sucks! Those shitheads suck! I will no longer purchase anything from them. 5 years ago I was placing thousand dollar orders every three months. They sent me a defective hazard switch and I attempted to return it. Like a 40 dollar part. Guy on the phone stated no returns on installed electrical items. I said, how do I know it is bad before I install it. Got silence over the phone. Threw that part away. Returned everything I could return back to them and have not ordered anything else from them.

Pierside on the other hand, sold me a defective fuel pump. The car failed on its test drive, to them to purchase a new cap and rotor. On the way there it stops pumping gas. I coasted into a church parking lot about 1/2 mile away. I walked up the street to them. Told Rich what went down. He handed me a different brand fuel pump (stating they have never had a bad one) and a wrench. He said if it was bad, come by and give me the bad pump, if not come back and pay him for the new pump.

I walked back to the car and with his wrench and my Swiss army knife changed the fuel pump. Drove the car up to his shop 30 minutes later and said thank you. Returned his wrench. He said no charge as agreed. I said thank you. He made a customer for life!

Thats why I buy from Pierside. Local and responsible! Still running that fuel pump!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I never had that experience returning stuff to JBugs, but I haven't done electrical stuff either. They've always been pretty good to me.

Local walk-up is always better though. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 54 of 129

Jump to: