Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often ,complicated questions are not answered in a "exhaustive manner" so another similar thread is just a continuation of the last one close to the subject. Shocked
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, often the question doesn't at first appear stupid.

They become stupid when people ask a question for dire help, 16 experts take their time explaining the solution, some going out to their own car to photograph and measure- then the OP never revisits the thread to tell the outcome. Those people should be banned.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
zav3nd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lustig69 wrote:

My favorite is; what is this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But those are so helpful, especially when you first buy a bug and its not put together like it should be. Razz
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:

Never,there is never a stupid question posted here..only people who get hurt by correct answers,there is a ton of those..

johnnypan wrote:
Stupid questions and smartass answers liven up the joint..what sucks is when people call out others as "un cool" when their reply offends them..

.'judge ye not for fear of being judged yourself'..

I agree wholeheartedly with both of these statements. (That does not mean I am kissing johnnypans ass.) I like the idea of a 'stupid question thread', but I don't think it should include references to individuals posts. The problem with creating a stupid question thread is that many people will now be confused where to post. But not I, no siree, I can handle multiple choices!!

And that is not a motor or an engine bay, it is a computer rendered digitised graphical representation of a motor or engine bay, or of an object with the features thereof, or of a further representation of the aforementioned, captured at a specific point in time in a specific state, and may bear no resemblance to any object existent or non-existent, past or present.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Multi69s wrote:
hitest,

That's not cool.

Amen x2.

Dang, you guys should just poke around in the Bay Window forum someday to see how they treat/talk to people. Hitest seems like the Dali Lama in comparison. Then every once in a while you hear "why aren't the young 'uns getting into the hobby?"

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, I'm not a certified mechanic or electrician like JP and some of the other posters here. I learn as I go and occasionally screw things up b4 getting them right. At some point, I'm bound to ask a stupid question or give a stupid answer. Embarassed If it's going to end up further highlighted here for a Samba eternity by a Samba genius getting a cheap thrill out of it and wanting to share it w/others, well, I may never post again! Rolling Eyes

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, being an old guy, I've learned over the years that those who do trash talking, etc tend to fall into two camps. The first one is one where they are extremely knowlegable, and as a result use tremendous amounts of sarcasm in their reply's to those starting out. The second group I call camp followers, who try to mimick the knowlegable one's in their attitude towards other usually to hid their lack of knowldege.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fahrbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a dumb question. For those of you who weld on their own cars, where did you learn? Did you just teach yourself? Take classes? have someone in the know show you?

i'm new to aircooled, not to wrenching, but welding is well out of my realm. I can afford to have a professional do the metal work that will be needed on my car and that is likely the route I will take because i don't to use my car as a test dummy. But I still want to learn so maybe at some point I can do it myself on future projects.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? That's not a dumb question!! I've been wondering that myself... Smile

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
mouser98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fahrbomb wrote:
I got a dumb question. For those of you who weld on their own cars, where did you learn? Did you just teach yourself? Take classes? have someone in the know show you?

i'm new to aircooled, not to wrenching, but welding is well out of my realm. I can afford to have a professional do the metal work that will be needed on my car and that is likely the route I will take because i don't to use my car as a test dummy. But I still want to learn so maybe at some point I can do it myself on future projects.

welding is not that difficult. successfully welding on sheet metal takes some finesse only developed through practice. familiarize yourself with the basic concepts. buy yourself an inexpensive, low-power mig welder (plus the accessories and safety gear), some scrap sheet metal, and practice until you can get a good bead without damaging the surrounding metal. pretty soon you'll be welding like a pro.
DrummerDaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouser98 wrote:
Fahrbomb wrote:

welding is not that difficult. successfully welding on sheet metal takes some finesse only developed through practice. familiarize yourself with the basic concepts. buy yourself an inexpensive, low-power mig welder (plus the accessories and safety gear), some scrap sheet metal, and practice until you can get a good bead without damaging the surrounding metal. pretty soon you'll be welding like a pro.

With a gas setup. Cant mig bodywork well w/out it.
mouser98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrummerDaveB wrote:
mouser98 wrote:
Fahrbomb wrote:

With a gas setup. Cant mig bodywork well w/out it.

correct, mig welding requires gas. although it is possible to run flux core wire in a mig rig without gas. but i think its generally easier to get good results with gas as opposed to flux core.
DrummerDaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouser98 wrote:

correct, mig welding requires gas. although it is possible to run flux core wire in a mig rig without gas. but i think its generally easier to get good results with gas as opposed to flux core.

Skip the flux core and go gas. Flux just makes a mess. [Speaking from experience]
Fahrbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies.

As far as an inexpensive gas low power mig welder are there preferred manufacturers? brands to stay away from?

I have seen some that I believe can be gas or no gas? Is that bad or doesn't really matter as long as I use gas.
mouser98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fahrbomb wrote:
Thank you for the replies.

As far as an inexpensive gas low power mig welder are there preferred manufacturers? brands to stay away from?

I have seen some that I believe can be gas or no gas? Is that bad or doesn't really matter as long as I use gas.

they sell flux core welders that are not set up to run gas. however, any mig welder can run flux core. so don't buy a flux core welder.

tractor supply has a package deal with a little Hobart 130 amp mig welder plus everything but the bottle of CO2. it's $400. the good thing is it runs off 115V AC. so this is what i would recommend. you can get a Chinese Electric one from Harbor Freight for half that price, but the Hobart welder will always be a welder, the HF one might end up being a boat anchor sooner than later.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fahrbomb wrote:

When I want to do something useful like learn to weld or learn to sail, I generally force myself into it by buying the equipment before I talk myself out of it. Then I pretty much HAVE to learn or I've wasted my cash. And then when I've learnt I'm happy and more useful cos my new skill pays off pretty quickly. I'm still learning to weld by my own trial and error, but after a few attempts I've now got my doka back on the road and am working on my beetle, cutting out rust and welding in good panels. Somedays are better than others, but it's working. I don't want to think how much it would cost me to get this done by a bodyshop. Go for it.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
banditwolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done all my Mig welding by using flux-core wire. Sure it's messier than gas, but I do all of my work in the driveway and it comes out just fine.
mouser98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:

When I want to do something useful like learn to weld or learn to sail, I generally force myself into it by buying the equipment before I talk myself out of it. Then I pretty much HAVE to learn or I've wasted my cash. And then when I've learnt I'm happy and more useful cos my new skill pays off pretty quickly. I'm still learning to weld by my own trial and error, but after a few attempts I've now got my doka back on the road and am working on my beetle, cutting out rust and welding in good panels. Somedays are better than others, but it's working. I don't want to think how much it would cost me to get this done by a bodyshop. Go for it.

good to hear about the Doka! i am sure the ladies at the supermarket will be excited!

all kidding aside, excellent advice. its just like anything on these cars, until you have done it yourself, its all theory, but once you have done it yourself, it becomes a new skill.

banditwolf wrote:
I've done all my Mig welding by using flux-core wire. Sure it's messier than gas, but I do all of my work in the driveway and it comes out just fine.

that is an excellent point also. Mig welding with gas can't be done in windy conditions, so generally you have to be inside a shop or a garage, but flux core welding can be done inside or out, doesn't matter about wind.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap! How did actually useful content end up in the stupid question thread? Wait, is that a stupid question? Good! Back to your regularly scheduled programming! Very Happy
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Natel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STUPID QUESTION:
Are there any mods that are an ABSOLUTE no-no for a Classic Beetle?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 129

Jump to: