Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
How can you tell if your seats are the original VW factory covers? Would they have had VW tags on them somewhere?
[...]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Late reply, but I wanted to point out that the original basket-weave vinyl in late-model VWs was perforated. It had little holes between the "weave." Here is a pic from the gallery (posted by baldessariclan):

Regards,
Kris
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but why is my clutch dusty w/rust? This is a car I often use as a daily driver. On the positive side, I'm guessing it partially means the crankcase seal is holding well.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Pretty normal IMO. If it bothers you, wipe it off well; I wouldn't oil it or anything.
Jms2980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So I decided to post this question here, because I believe it fits the category but while working on my 72 Super Beetle, came across something that has me stumped. I removed the shift rod and stick shift assemblies to replace the coupler and shift rod bushing. Also cleaning up the stick shift and am replacing the stock shift ball with a leather wrapped aftermarket shifter. Removed the stock shifter and the stick shift is filled with gear lube? Anyone know why? Best I can figure from Google etc. is some PO thought they could fill the transmission through the shifter? Only other theory I could come up with was to fill the shifter with gear lube to give it more weight - maybe improve the overall "feel" of shifting - but I figure that would be a pretty big stretch.

James
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Never underestimate people, my brother-in-law put 8 quarts of transmission fluid in the oil filler for the engine on his van then took it for a drive around the block but because it was smoking so bad he didn’t know why and then he said it just stopped moving, and believe it or not he’s an engineer. I’m thinking they thought that it would shift easier with that filled with oil just a guess.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but why is my clutch dusty w/rust? This is a car I often use as a daily driver. On the positive side, I'm guessing it partially means the crankcase seal is holding well.

It's rusty because the components are bare, unprotected steel and you live in an area where there is moisture in the air. They started to rust the moment they were exposed to the air and will do so even with the engine fully installed since the bellhousing area is not completely sealed from the environment. If it bothers you, you can clean or convert the rust and paint all the non-friction surfaces.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Oh it doesn't bother me, I just hadn't seen that in any of my previous Bugs, here near DC or in Miami - both plenty humid! I'll probably hit it with some brush on prep and etch or other rust converter.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If your previous Bugs didn't have rusty clutches, it's pretty well guaranteed they were either painted or had some sort of coating on them to keep moisture off. The rust in and of itself will eventually form a protective layer and prevent further corrosion, barring an excessively wet or corrosive environment; the only area I've ever been concerned with was the pressure plate springs as corrosion on them can lead to weakening or premature failure.
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The socket at the front of the shift rod where the ball on the shiftstick goes is commonly packed with grease. Even Bentley recommends it to keep rattles down.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The rust in and of itself will eventually form a protective layer and prevent further corrosion, barring an excessively wet or corrosive environment;

Rust to prevent rust....first I've heard of it, but I'll go w/it, after all it shifts super smoothly, no reason to think anything's wrong. But then you add this!

mukluk wrote:
the only area I've ever been concerned with was the pressure plate springs as corrosion on them can lead to weakening or premature failure.

Should I remove the clutch plate to check the condition of the disk?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

JMO, if it was mine I pull all that off and put new you got the motor out might as well do it,, clutch pressure plate throw out bearing. It all pretty much looks like surface rust but if you’re worried I would change it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Looks like it got real hot. Why?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

And the pressure plate looks like it’s worn out pretty good from the throwout bearing,
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hmmm...I think any heating pre-dates my ownership. I pulled the engine back when I bought the Bug in 9/2016 and this is how it was. I've never had overheating issues since buying it though. Sounds like two recommendations for replacing it....

I'm planning to clean and keep the TO, though. It's an original German Sachs. Unless the bearing is pitted or discolored, in which case I will replace it as well.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It’s cheap insurance so you don’t have to pull your motor out again,
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ron G wrote:
It’s cheap insurance so you don’t have to pull your motor out again,

So as to not pollute the Stupid Question Thread, I'm following up on my clutch question in My '74 Super Project thread in my signature line. I removed it and posted close up pics there.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does the ground wire from the generator go to the voltage regulator?
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Just put it to a ground
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

greggy wrote:

The REAL answer to your question is yes. It grounds out on one of the voltage regulator mounting screws.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

greggy wrote:

Does it go from the generator to the regulator? Yes, if one is present. More importantly, does it have to go from the gen to the VR? Well, kind of.

Both the generator and voltage regulator need to be grounded to the negative terminal of the battery -- this is done indirectly through chassis grounds and bonding straps. Since the two components need to work in concert with each other to put out the correct voltage for the charging system to work properly, it was deemed prudent to have a direct ground wire installed from the generator to the regulator on 12v cars (6v cars had the regulator mounted directly to the generator), but that direct ground wire didn't appear until some time around 1968/1969 which was a full year and a half into 12v Beetle production with the remote mounted regulator under the rear seat. So a production run of somewhere in the neighbourhood of one to one and a half million Beetles went out the door with fully functioning charging systems sans the direct ground wire from generator to regulator.

In short (bad electrical pun), it's a good idea to have the ground wire between them installed to better ensure reliable proper operation, but they'll work just dandy without the wire so long as they are provided with good grounds to the chassis.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 128

Jump to: