Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well I just pulled it out of the garage after 2 1/2 years, I wanted to post a couple of pictures and thank all the people that has helped me in the past couple years on this project . I have been building hot rods for the past 20 years and this is my first Volkswagen that I have done and I will have to admit it was a challenge, it’s a basic 1971 super beetle, it has a stroked 1776, i’m sorry guys it’s not an original car, but I have found out after working on Volkswagens why they call it Hitler‘s revenge. I would buy parts for a 71 super beetle and find out my super beetle didn’t have that, I also found out after purchasing parts that the front Half of my car is 1971 the back half of my car is a 1972 very challenging. The electrical was an utter nightmare and that is only my fault for making the whole car LED, all the interior lights all the dash lights taillights headlights everything is LED the bulbs in the lights are HD and that’s where I had 99% of my issues. I have all of them sorted out now everything works Great, I am now finishing the car up with three more windows to install, my question is if you look at the last pictures of the underside of the car at the wheel you will see where the nut from the ball joint is rubbing on the inside of the wheel, how can I fix this? I already have 3/16 spacers Behind the wheel so the wheel does not hit the caliper, maybe I should’ve gone with quarter-inch. Again guys thank you for all your input and your help on this car although it has been a challenge I would do another one in a heartbeat. The last picture is one of the hot rods that I built and sold a couple years ago

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joshlm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

After I park my car for a while, the idle arm flips upside down so when I start it, it’s as if the car is full throttle. So I turn it off and flip it back and it’s fine while it drives. It only happens when it sits for a few hours and I start it. I’m assuming I just need to tighten the bolt, but my question is how much? I don’t want to over tighten to the point when it won’t be working properly.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

See the slot above the nut on the fast idle cam? When the cam is in the correct position range there should be a pin, the end of the carb body and the other end in that slot. That is what keeps the fast idle cam from flipping over like that. You will need to by a new roll pin and tap it into the carb body. I don't know the size.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
See the slot above the nut on the fast idle cam? When the cam is in the correct position range there should be a pin, the end of the carb body and the other end in that slot. That is what keeps the fast idle cam from flipping over like that. You will need to by a new roll pin and tap it into the carb body. I don't know the size.

Yep, you need to insert a new roll pin. These are typically sold individually in little drawers at places like Ace Hardware, very inexpensive, so buy an assortment.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AMD_Alien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey guys, just wanted to know if this MK1 rabbit wheel would fit my 3/73 super with the larger steering spline dia. Judging from direct pictures of the spline in the wheel it looks like it would fit directly but not completely sure. Just wanted to ask here in case any of yall have the same wheel in your bugs. Thanks, Andrew https://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mMgV5iZx-YQf0soZAODORWw.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stupid question but what is a yall?
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You all ( yall)
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks y’all Very Happy
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Thanks y’all Very Happy

Wait until you start to see modifiers. All y'all?

Last edited by DurocShark on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cool beans......
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Stupid question but what is a y'all?

Southern equivalent of Pitttsburgh's yinz or yunz: from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2011/02/...1102130223

"Of all the idiomatic words and expressions, the one that most exemplifies "Pittsburghese" is that notorious version of "you," usually spelled and pronounced "yinz" by the current generation of self-described "yinzers."

The problem I have with the "yinz" pronunciation is that I never said "yinz" when I was growing up. I remember saying "yunz," and if I were speaking to more than one of my "Souseside" buddies, I used "yunzes."

I don't know how "yunz" became "yinz" over the years, but I was relieved when I read Sean Hamill's Jan. 20 Post-Gazette article, "Expert Says Fewer Folks Use Pittsbughese? Git Aht!", about the work of Pittsburghese expert and Carnegie Mellon University professor of linguistics Barbara Johnstone. I'd worried that maybe I was wrong, that my memory was fading and my tongue faulty, until Mr. Hamill, in an aside to his main article, wrote, "Oh, and you should know that the 'yunz' spelling, instead of 'yinz' is probably more accurate to the sound most Pittsburghers make."

I sure hope this doesn't confuse Mark Tucker !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Keivox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey, I've never actually used a forum before so I don't know what I'm doing and whether or not I'm posting in the right place. I am, however, confident in the fact that I need help from experts. My 1970 Beatle is my first car, and I needed to change the turn signal switch. I installed the switch without much hassle, all of the wires are now in the frunk. Now I have to deal with something I've been dreading: the wireing. It's a rat's nest. I have no idea what goes where and all the wires are coated in some kind of sealent... I guess the people that flipped this $4000 car thought it was a good idea to cover everything in this tar-like substance because I keep finding everywhere there's not paint. Even the whole frunk is painted with it, and you can see the white paint where they didn't bother to remove the wired before it was painted. I'm going to insert some pictures of the wires and I'm gonna pray that someone here can help me.

Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Couple questions. Lets start with the easy two first.

Where do you so cal people like to get your parts? Anyone know of some slighter weight/higher performance rotors/disc kits for classic bugs? I literally cant find anything.

Now for the tougher one. I am looking at upgrading the steering and suspension of my 74' standard and am trying to figure out how far to go I know I would like to do a complete overhaul even if I go with the standard config considering I dont think its ever been done and my car s at ~350k miles or so. The thing is, I have seen it mentioned several times that you dont want to go with higher grade shock/torsion springs as you will rattle loose fittings. Is that a thing? Should I even be worried about it if what I am going for is the most planted I can get while still having alright road ride (since it is my DD)? The second thing is, I am still completely un sure if I want to go adjustable or standard height. Going adjustable (would be front and back if I do it) would cost ~6-800 but since I do need to go on dirt roads a couple times a year, I dont want to lower permanently but (I am guessing at least) lowering should play a fair role in handling increase. What are yalls thoughts? Should I just keep it standard? Should I go adjustable? Should I just acknowledge that I already really want a truck for camping and just relegate my beetle to never going off road again?

Next is about narrowing the front end. Exactly what role does it play, and should I even consider it for a DD? Anywhere I can read up on the dynamics of it? I cant find much

Lastly is about wheels. I would love to go with higher quality wheels than are standard but I cant find much in 4x130 that arent (honest) just ugly and dont seem to actually be any better. My drums and rotors are rather new, so I would rather not switch to a different bolt pattern yet, but if I did, what would allow me better wheel/tire choices? Where should I be looking now? Should I go 5.5 over 4.5 for cheaper/better tire choices? And Lastly, what are yalls thoughts about wider rears for a DD that, if anything, will be driven far more like a track than anything else (I honestly drive too aggressively)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are some of those wires actually melted ???
Keivox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Are some of those wires actually melted ???
I don't know, it appears so. I need help.
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Maybe this might help you

https://www.jbugs.com/VW-Tech-Article-1970-Wiring.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are distributor pinion gears the same? I have one from a 1200, can it be used in late builds? I was thinking about using it in my 1835 if I can.

This is it:

Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Simple question: What are yall's favorite place to get parts in southern California? Orange county locations would be best if you have them, but I can go anywhere in so car realisticaly

EDIT: I currently use jbug but I have heard from several people that they are overpriced

Last edited by Eskamobob1 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Pierside Parts- Huntington Beach
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Deatherage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here's a stupid question: I just bought a gauze aftermarket air filter for my 1641cc, as a stop-gap until I find the right OE air cleaner. Question: Do all gauze aftermarket air filters need to be oiled? Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 128

Jump to: