Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thank you
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I recently installed a new clutch on my '74 Super - TO bearing, pressure plate, spring plate, and cable. It's adjusted properly and is super easy to work. I have a really good feel for the car and can easily shift thru the gears by barely pressing down on the clutch pedal, maybe an inch and a half or three at most.

My question is, what's the proper way to engage the clutch? Do you have to go all the way down to the floor? Or is the shallow push I use OK or am I unknowingly "riding" the clutch?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I recently installed a new clutch on my '74 Super - TO bearing, pressure plate, spring plate, and cable. It's adjusted properly and is super easy to work. I have a really good feel for the car and can easily shift thru the gears by barely pressing down on the clutch pedal, maybe an inch and a half or three at most.

My question is, what's the proper way to engage the clutch? Do you have to go all the way down to the floor? Or is the shallow push I use OK or am I unknowingly "riding" the clutch?

With good timing, it is possible to shift without using the clutch at all. The more your timing is off, the more wear you'll put on your synchros. What you're doing is half way between: More risk of synchro wear but not as much as if you were not using the clutch at all. The owner's manual recommends always pushing the clutch pedal all the way, and this is the best way to minimize synchro wear.

Regards,
Kris
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks! Time to re-read the owner's manual and keep that pedal going to the floor.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I needed a new headlight switch for my 1970 bug. I ordered one but instead of three 30 terminals, it has two 30 and one X. Will this work?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SiRJoZ wrote:
I needed a new headlight switch for my 1970 bug. I ordered one but instead of three 30 terminals, it has two 30 and one X. Will this work?

1. Wire it up and try it out in the trunk, before you mount it in the VW.

2. Or return it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
SiRJoZ wrote:

1. Wire it up and try it out in the trunk, before you mount it in the VW.

2. Or return it.

Yeah I was hoping to avoid returning it. Jbugs was on backorder so I ordered it from partsgeek. (Last time I do that.)

I’m afraid to test it out. The factory wiring diagram shows three 30 connections. One to the ignition, one to the fuse block, and then another to the voltage regulator. The switch I received has all of the exact same connections, except instead of three 30’s, it has two 30’s and an “X”.

I also have an alternator with the internal VR so I’m not entirely sure if that changes things or not. Without a VR I’m not sure where that connection to my switch should go.
The irritating part is that I only have time to work on her on the weekends, and none of the places I deal with are open LOL.
What I’m hoping is that someone here knows something about this. Maybe I’ll get lucky and hear “yeah after 197x they stopped making the switch that way, and now the X connection is for blah blah blah....”

Why do we torture ourselves so eagerly?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SiRJoZ wrote:
The factory wiring diagram shows three 30 connections. One to the ignition, one to the fuse block, and then another to the voltage regulator. The switch I received has all of the exact same connections, except instead of three 30’s, it has two 30’s and an “X”.

I'll assume that VW was working fine, charged the battery, etc. before the headlight switch went out.

What I'd do is connect the same three wires to #30 terminals, use a connector like one of these
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And leave X terminal blank.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yeah everything was good before...at least as it relates to that switch.
I’ll give your suggestion a shot. I have a couple of those splitters so I’ll let ya know what happens.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

We used to have good VW shops i Phoenix, a chain called BAP Auto. About 3 decades ago, I needed a new headlight switch for my 1971 Super Convertible, so I just took the bad switch with me to local BAP store.

Guess what - there was no listing at all for the part I had in my hand !!! This was before computers and Google, so I looked at the headlight switches they had there for 1970 and 1971 years, and picked the one I thought was closest, and that I could wire up correctly. It has worked fine since.

Remember, 1971 was first year that ignition needed to be switched on for the headlights to light; so maybe this, and that it was a convertible might've been the reason.....
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yeah the one remaining thing I’m nervous about is the fact that I don’t have an external voltage regulator. I need to find a 1970 wiring diagram that is drawn out with an alternator instead of the generator setup.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yeah I came across that one about 20 min after I posted that last comment. However, I really do appreciate the assistance. This is gonna be my daughters first car. So I’m very eager to get everything perfect. Everything that I come across that isn’t, gets replaced. So I’m buried in the steering column at the moment LOL!
Thank you. It’s mice having some place to ask questions like this.
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So doubling up on one of the 30 terminals didn’t work.
I read in one of these threads that a guy used a jumper but now I can’t find it.
Attaching a picture here. The switch one the right is obviously the old one, and the left is the new. Help?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SiRJoZ wrote:
So doubling up on one of the 30 terminals didn’t work.
I read in one of these threads that a guy used a jumper but now I can’t find it.
Attaching a picture here. The switch one the right is obviously the old one, and the left is the new. Help?

Use one or two of these. VW used to make 4 way ones also.

Wolfsburg West has them for $2.50 I think.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111937079

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So I found a good thread by searching for “jumper” here in our forum.
Jumped X to one of the 30’s. Everything works perfectly now.
Appointment for registration at 3pm today. Might have her on the road by tomorrow morning!
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Or not. It appears my alternator is not charging the battery.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does your charge warning light actually light up when you turn the key to ignition but don't start the engine? That needs to happen with an alternator.
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yeah I get the light when I turn the ignition on. And it goes off after I start the car.
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks like it’s charging now. Just kinda weak. I’m at about 12.2 not running. If I fire it up I’m at 13.5 with lights on. 13.7 with them off.
My brake lights come on when I have the ignition on also. Guess I better investigate that. Might be related lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 128

Jump to: