Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So my brake lights come on with the ignition, without hitting the brake. When pressure is applied to the brakes, about halfway through the brake pedals course of travel, the brake lights turn off. As you continue to push the brake pedal further in, they come back on. As you let the brake pedal out, the lights turn off again for a short section of the pedals travel.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SiRJoZ wrote:
So my brake lights come on with the ignition, without hitting the brake. When pressure is applied to the brakes, about halfway through the brake pedals course of travel, the brake lights turn off. As you continue to push the brake pedal further in, they come back on. As you let the brake pedal out, the lights turn off again for a short section of the pedals travel.

Thoughts?

Brake switch messing up or the master cylinder. I would start with the brake switch.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Actually just replaced both switches last week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SiRJoZ wrote:
Actually just replaced both switches last week.

Does not mean they are good. I have purchased several new switches which either did nothing or stayed on solid.

Were the old switches both bad?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Touché.
No only one of the old switches was bad. But I figured if I was gonna go through the trouble, might as well replace both.
I did keep both of the old ones (mainly because I just wanted to keep the ONE that worked, but mixed them up after taking them off LOL)
SiRJoZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So update on this issue...
One of the switches I now assume is bad. The point for the brake warning light is somehow connected to the point for the brake lights. I disconnected that particular wire and now everything works.
Except the warning light of course lol
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Found this pic in another thread. Which one is the relay for the buzzer? Is it the second one from the right? Looking to get my buzzer working again.
I know the last one on the right is the flasher relay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blondievw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

We're is best place to order canvas for my bug? Thanks
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kirk1015 wrote:
Found this pic in another thread. Which one is the relay for the buzzer? Is it the second one from the right? Looking to get my buzzer working again.
I know the last one on the right is the flasher relay.

The silver relay shown in your picture is a headlight dimmer relay (evidenced by the SAR 9202 SHO74 marking). The door buzzer should be similar in appearance but have part number 111951307 on it.
bug70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Guys: on a stock generator, are both the brush covers supposed to be covered? My bug only has the top slot covered. The bottom one is exposed (no plastic cover).

If this is normal, why is that? There has to be a reason for it if that's how its supposed to be.

Thanks in advance I'm a newbie to bugs.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

bug70 wrote:
Guys: on a stock generator, are both the brush covers supposed to be covered? My bug only has the top slot covered. The bottom one is exposed (no plastic cover).

If this is normal, why is that? There has to be a reason for it if that's how its supposed to be.

Thanks in advance I'm a newbie to bugs.

I've read they stopped covering those open slots on the generators due to overheating the generators. Leaving them open allows more flow of air inside them. I leave mine open.
I believe VW started installing those covers on the generators in the early 70's when they started getting more air into the engine lids on bugs. They deleted the rain trays they use to install on the back of the engine lid. So now rain water could now get into the engine compartment and get things wet.

Not many people today drive their VW's in inclimate weather so the covers are really not needed anymore.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
bug70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

That makes a lot of sense. I've wondered how the bugs handle rain with those slots on the back.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

what size tire/wheel do yall run and what kind of drop/raise do you have? Trying to get an idea of how different things will look with different drops.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
what size tire/wheel do yall run and what kind of drop/raise do you have? Trying to get an idea of how different things will look with different drops.

73 Super, 2" drop up front, stock rear. 175/65R15 front, 205/65R15 out back-

Compared to stock front end "nose in the air" ride height, with 185/65 up front-

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:

The 'official lowering' threads may be of interest to you for pictures and how-to's.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143095
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143097
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=586687
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What is the little thing that side of your visor rests in near the rear view mirror? My driver side one broke and idk what to even look up to find a replacement.

Lingwendil wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

73 Super, 2" drop up front, stock rear. 175/65R15 front, 205/65R15 out back-

Compared to stock front end "nose in the air" ride height, with 185/65 up front

Nice looking build. Is the rear stock height? There doesnt seem to be a lean to the car but I didnt see you mention you dropped the back

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

The 'official lowering' threads may be of interest to you for pictures and how-to's.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143095
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143097
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=586687

Ty for the links. the first one is realy helpful for getting an idea of fitment. Just wish people would have posted more info on what wheels they are running and beam specks tbh
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
What is the little thing that side of your visor rests in near the rear view mirror? My driver side one broke and idk what to even look up to find a replacement.

It's a sun visor clip or sun visor retainer, part number 111857561.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

It's a sun visor clip or sun visor retainer, part number 111857561.

tyvm man. Managed to get my hands on one and get the visor out of my face again.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
Nice looking build. Is the rear stock height? There doesnt seem to be a lean to the car but I didnt see you mention you dropped the back

Stock rear height. The staggered wheel size makes it look nice and balanced, with just a bit of perceptible rake when viewed from the side. I like it. I wouldn't mind dropping the rear maybe 1~1.5" or so, but I'm not prepared to do all the work for such a small change, maybe eventually I will under the excuse that I'm pulling it apart to replace spring plate bushings Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well, I guess this qualifies as a stupid question.
Does anyone know if a Solex/Bocar H30/31 carb. power jet is just a large Idle jet?
From what I have read on Rob and Daves page. The power jet assists with full throttle running when the air correction jet leans out the engine.

I need to order one from ACN. But cannot find one on the site. The power jet looks like an Idle jet to my old eye's.

Anyone know what is correct?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 58 of 128

Jump to: