Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ta2guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I have a quandary... Shocked does any body know what the stupid question thread threads are? metric?1.25?1.5? 1.75? 1? or sae threads?British threads?55degree thread?60 degree thread?

I believe the stupid threads are SAE. The SAE and GM are the reason the USA is not on the metric system. The stupid threads have been used only by US since the 1970s.

Particularly for VWs, the smart threads would probably be DIN.

Quote:
I wonder if my new threads are made in china or Indonesia? Rolling Eyes :wink:they sure fit well,i wonder if they will fade? yes it's late,no I cant sleep...too many stupid questions running around in my empty head....after all "empty" is my initials.

I have bought some new threads at Walmart a long time ago. They were not very smart. The smartest threads are usually worn by gay guys!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That's Good!
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Need some advice please!

This Saturday unless something crazy happens, I am buying my first every VW Beetle. It's a 1978 Beetle Convertible. Are there a few threads I need to start reading to know what to do first? I want to make sure I am informed and ready to begin my journey!

What advice can you all give a first time Beetle owner please? What threads do I need to study? I am ready to do my homework!

What is the best advice you can give me for my '78 VW Bug convertible please? Like I said, this is my first Beetle! Smile

Thank you!

--Chuck

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SatireChuck wrote:
Need some advice please!

This Saturday unless something crazy happens, I am buying my first every VW Beetle. It's a 1978 Beetle Convertible. Are there a few threads I need to start reading to know what to do first? I want to make sure I am informed and ready to begin my journey!

What advice can you all give a first time Beetle owner please? What threads do I need to study? I am ready to do my homework!

What is the best advice you can give me for my '78 VW Bug convertible please? Like I said, this is my first Beetle! Smile

Thank you!

--Chuck

1. Rust is bad. Engine/mechanical stuff is less expensive than intensive bodywork.

2. If convertible top needs replacing, will cost up to $2.5K at a shop.

3. 1978 was fuel injection from factory; OK if it runs well. Some have converted 1975-on to use carburetor(s).

4. Look for parts missing; this will be tricky as you might not know what to expect.

5. See https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79656
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tindjin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Question on 1973 SB. What is the easiest way to tell "Early" vs "Late" 73s? I have a '73 with a manufacture date of 11/72. I know the struts changed but how did they change and what else? It is a new-to-me 73 and getting to know it. When trying to find parts the Early/Late keeps being brought up and I want to make sure which one I have. Thanks.

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Late '73 had an alternator and the two-bolt strut assembly. Early '73 had a generator and the same 3-bolt strut as the 71-72 supers. I think.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tindjin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Late '73 had an alternator and the two-bolt strut assembly. Early '73 had a generator and the same 3-bolt strut as the 71-72 supers. I think.

Thanks. I definitely had the generator, before I put in an alternator.

The 2 vs 3 both strut configuration where would I look for this? It is the bottom connection of the strut right? Not the top?

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yep, the bottom.

3-bolt:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unfortunately, i don't have a picture of my '74's 2-bolt front strut. The 2-bolt is also an easier assembly to R&R, and I think it has less issues w/shimmy than the 3 bolt. Just my personal opinion based on having had Supers of both types.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Profcucchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm about to buy my first beetle: a 1974 SB.

Two things I want right off the bat: replace the window seals and front disc brake conversion.

How many hours should they take? Or should I get a VW mechanic to do it?

Thanks
Edubnogales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone out there know if the locking mechanism of a door handle of a 1968 Bug can be taking out an exchange into a new handle? My goal is to keep the same Keys as original and only have one door knob that is bad and broken. Please advise. Thanks guys!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Edubnogales wrote:
Does anyone out there know if the locking mechanism of a door handle of a 1968 Bug can be taking out an exchange into a new handle? My goal is to keep the same Keys as original and only have one door knob that is bad and broken. Please advise. Thanks guys!

Yes, and it's VERY easy.

I did just this on my 1970 about 35 years ago when the factory door handle just wore out. One Phillips screw to remove the entire handle, then another to remove the tumbler assembly. So my factory key works both doors and ignition. The used handle cost me exactly $1 then, a real bargain !

One could also purchase a brand new handle and have a locksmith modify it to match your key.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Edubnogales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the advise!! Green light on the lock exchange! BAM!
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Has there ever been a Beetle with a pop up roof similar to campers?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Why, you still could not stand in it.
Tindjin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Trying to figure out two things.
1) I'm planning on a disc brake swap in 2019, front and back. I'm wondering if I should change to a different bolt pattern. I would like to get new rims, slightly wider to open up some better tire choices. If you were going to change to a different pattern which one to give you the most options in possible wheel choices?

2) This one ties in with #1 in that when making wheel/tire choices is there any listing on what would work with stock fenders? I do want to lower the car a little, 1-2 inches at the most, but hoping there is a list somewhere that could tell me if I went with a 5.5, 6 or 7 inch wide rim what back spacing would I want to get so it still fit the fender.

Thanks for any info.

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Why, you still could not stand in it.

Profcucchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Just bought a 1975 Super converted to carburetor

The fuel hoses need to be changed pronto, the smell in the car is just raw gasoline. I know about the fume elimination kit, but I am at a loss how to measure the other fuel hoses.

It looks like there are 3 different sizes. Not counting the filler neck connection.

Diameters and lengths would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
dbargaehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey all,

Working on converting our 1971 Super to all-electric. I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of parts, and part of that is identifying what in the blazes they are and if they're even worth putting up for grabs. I got a box of random assorted parts with the car from the owner that had clearly been sitting outside for a month or three. I've done my best to search around the interwebz and pulled some part numbers from the parts to identify them. But some of them, I'm stumped.

if you know what they are, first point and laugh at me (important and mandatory step!), and then tell me the part name...or at least a hint.

This curved thing:

I believe these are heater box shrouds?

Some sort of spinning bearing:

Two of these...interior vents?

These odd brackets:

These look like sun visors, but aren't.

These odd flippy translucent red things:

Some sort of sensor housing? No part number on it.

This...handle?

Some wonky bracket.

These slightly translucent red things. I wanna say...wiring connectors?

And here's the super, FYI.

We're about halfway through dropping the (working!) engine. I'm much more familiar with electrical systems and working knowledge (I design and manufacture microphones) than internal combustion issues...so when my wife suggested we turn this into an all-electric, I was thrilled.

Also have a bunch of original seatbelt parts (KLIPPANS! which sounds like a side table from IKEA) and precisely 1 heater box. Not even sure what to do with those. I imagine they'll go up in the classifieds, as I hate to waste anything that could be useful to someone.

Thank you!
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Whose kit are you using? Battery capacity? Motor?
dbargaehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Whose kit are you using? Battery capacity? Motor?

No kit as of yet. Salvaging batteries from a wrecked EV saves a TON of the cost. Looking for a used Siemens AC motor and then building a controller, I imagine. Looking at getting at least 20kWh of battery (want 100 miles of range), and trying to get it to reasonable highway speeds which means a solid AC motor. The Curtis stuff looks nice with the motor/controller combo but not sure I can afford it.

I looked at going the DC way, but the AC regen braking and easy reverse are very attractive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 60 of 129

Jump to: