Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I just replaced the blue brake hoses at the reservoir and at the MC so the reservoir and lines are empty. The car is a long way from being driven yet. Should I fill it w/brake fluid or leave it empty until i'm ready to adjust and bleed the system?

Leave it till you are ready. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. So, as soon as you fill it the system will start absorbing moisture. The brake system deterioration starts at the time you import fluid.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Jimbo.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey guys. Just looking for a grease gun and grease req for my front axle. Bonus points if I can get it on amazon or a local store (oriely, autozone, etc).
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
Hey guys. Just looking for a grease gun and grease req for my front axle. Bonus points if I can get it on amazon or a local store (oriely, autozone, etc).

Your local auto parts stores should have grease guns on hand you can choose from. Nothing terribly fancy is required though I'd recommend one of the larger ones that accept 14oz cartridge tubes. You'll want an NLGI #2 lithium multipurpose grease for the front beam; count on using a good portion of one 14oz tube if the beam hasn't been serviced in a long time.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
I'd recommend one of the larger ones that accept 14oz cartridge tubes.

This. And maybe get a flexible extension tube.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
tristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok, I have a stupid question. Is there any way to determine the specs on a (likely) modified engine without taking it apart and measuring? I have a mystery engine and no real idea of its details.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tristo wrote:
Ok, I have a stupid question. Is there any way to determine the specs on a (likely) modified engine without taking it apart and measuring? I have a mystery engine and no real idea of its details.

With any real certainty, no. External inspection will give you an educated guess at best.
tristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
tristo wrote:

With any real certainty, no. External inspection will give you an educated guess at best.

Thanks mukluk. Can you tell me a bit more about what that external inspection should involve?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tristo wrote:
mukluk wrote:
tristo wrote:

Thanks mukluk. Can you tell me a bit more about what that external inspection should involve?

Look at Engine Number under generator stand
Look at type of intake manifold
Post pictures here
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
tristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well, the fun seems to continue. I don't see an engine number. I'm fairly certain the engine is not original, but that's based heavily on the fact that the car is a 75 and I thought that was when VW made the switch to fuel injection for Beetles. Not sure what is best to show, so here's an overall engine pic, a shot of the normal engine number location, and the best I could manage of the side of the intake manifold.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MöllyMcAlpine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I want my super convertible to have clear turn signals, but my vert has 4 bulb style tail lights.
I can find aftermarket clear lenses only for 3 bulb style.
Will the lens for 3 bulb tail lights fit 4 bulb ones?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You would need to also replace your rear fenders as the 3-bulb housing is much smaller.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

MöllyMcAlpine wrote:
I want my super convertible to have clear turn signals, but my vert has 4 bulb style tail lights.
I can find aftermarket clear lenses only for 3 bulb style.
Will the lens for 3 bulb tail lights fit 4 bulb ones?

vamram wrote:
You would need to also replace your rear fenders as the 3-bulb housing is much smaller.

Well, let's clarify-MollyMcAlpine, what model year beetle do you have and which shape of tail lights does your car currently have?

Are you referring to which of these 3 bulb tail lights? (Which shape do you wish to install?)

#1 ("Tombstone")

or #2 ("Round")

If you wish to convert to a different shape tail light, Vamram is correct and you would need to also change your rear fenders to match.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are '73 and '74 Super deck lids the same?
MöllyMcAlpine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Are you referring to which of these 3 bulb tail lights? (Which shape do you wish to install?)

Ah, sorry I didn't explain enough.
I want to know the compatibility of these two, "Elephant foot(EU)" lens to "Elephant foot(US)" housing.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My alternator was bad and so my battery is not fully charged. I replaced the alternator and the generator light is now off. Will a 6-hour drive fully charge the battery or do I have to connect it to a charger overnight for it to fully charge?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
My alternator was bad and so my battery is not fully charged. I replaced the alternator and the generator light is now off. Will a 6-hour drive fully charge the battery or do I have to connect it to a charger overnight for it to fully charge?

your alternator will be happier if you fully charge your battery before driving it. It puts quite the load on the alternator. Reducing its lifespan.

If it were me, I would charge the battery fully, then go driving.

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I feel as though I'm bugging the guys in the local Volkswagen Facebook Page, so I thought i'd come here to ask a couple of questions.

Firstly, I'm rebuilding my 74 Super Beetle motor, 1600dp, and I'm getting ready to install the heads. I thought that I read somewhere that the studs/washers on the inside of the valve covers, need to have RTV on them?

Also, I need to get replacement washers as I have lost a couple... can I use hardware store washers? 8mm studs, by the way.

Thank you!
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

No RTV needed, use permatex aviation on any surfaces that need sealing.

Do not use just any washer for the head studs, they require a specific thickness, flatness and hardness.
205T (Bill)
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Now for my stupid question that I can’t seem to find the answer to.

I want to install a cigarette lighter in my 69. The hole for the cigarette lighter is too small to fit a standard cigarette lighter from the FLAPS/Amazon.

I found some OEM lighters for sale but don’t want to pay the much higher price if the dash still needs to be modified.

Were the OEM cigarette lighters a smaller diameter or did the hole in the dash require drilling to fit?
205T (Bill)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 69 of 129

Jump to: