Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggyboyjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Seatbelt Reply with quote

Alright so...I took apart my seatbelt because it stopped retracting. Turns out of course that the little coil decided to spin itself into a ball.

My question is does anyone sell a new coil or spring that I can put in or is it cheaper to just replace the whole unit.
buggyboyjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

HELP NEEDED
I pulled off my steering wheel and along came the anti-wobble bearing washer piece of plastic to a 1972 super beetle.
Is there anyone that makes these still?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Seatbelt Reply with quote

buggyboyjay wrote:
Alright so...I took apart my seatbelt because it stopped retracting. Turns out of course that the little coil decided to spin itself into a ball.

My question is does anyone sell a new coil or spring that I can put in or is it cheaper to just replace the whole unit.

Hard to tell with not knowing which manufacture of seat belt, or even if it is stock VW or aftermarket.
buggyboyjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Seatbelt Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
buggyboyjay wrote:

Hard to tell with not knowing which manufacture of seat belt, or even if it is stock VW or aftermarket.

It's a stock seatbelt, all the components are intact except for the return spring.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

buggyboyjay wrote:
HELP NEEDED
I pulled off my steering wheel and along came the anti-wobble bearing washer piece of plastic to a 1972 super beetle.

You can look up almost all parts for your beetle in the original VW parts manuals. Here is a great must read thru website that has all sorts of VW literature:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Go thru the "Up Coming" button at the upper right of that web page. There you will find the type 1 parts manual.. Lots of really cool exploded diagrams and you will find parts that you never knew about. You can then use the part number to do WWW searches for such.

When you do WWW searches with the nine digit part numbers, put VW and a space before the part number. Remove the two spaces in the part number, and leave off any letter suffix at the end of the part number. So you will get a "VW XXXXXXXXX" to search with. Also "VW XXX-XXX-XXX" will work for other websites.

Keep in mind about every nine digit VW part number:

1. That the very first digit is what model of VW the part was originally designed for. Lots of type 1 parts on the type 2s, some type 2 and 3 parts were used in the type 1. Other parts are only used on that type of VW and no other.

2. 2nd and 3rd digits are the model the part was originally designed for. Some parts are ONLY for that model. Others were later fitted to all VW models.

3. 4th digit tells you which section/chapter of the parts manual the part is found in.

5. The 5th thru 9th digits are the actual part number.

6. Letter suffix means it is an improved part over the last part without letter suffix, or as each letter ( A, B, C, D, etc.) is used the later letter means some change has been made. Sometimes each later part can be used directly in the same area, some can not without replacing other parts around it.

7. If you know a part is RH or LH ONLY, you can tell by the last digit of the part number which side it goes on. an even digit then the part is RH, odd digit and the part is LH. Easiest way to remember this is that a LH drive VW has to have at least the driver, so one person, which is an odd digit. A VW with one driver and one passenger is two people, so an even digit.
buggyboyjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
buggyboyjay wrote:
HELP NEEDED

You can look up almost all parts for your beetle in the original VW parts manuals. Here is a great must read thru website that has all sorts of VW literature:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Go thru the "Up Coming" button at the upper right of that web page. There you will find the type 1 parts manual.. Lots of really cool exploded diagrams and you will find parts that you never knew about. You can then use the part number to do WWW searches for such.

When you do WWW searches with the nine digit part numbers, put VW and a space before the part number. Remove the two spaces in the part number, and leave off any letter suffix at the end of the part number. So you will get a "VW XXXXXXXXX" to search with. Also "VW XXX-XXX-XXX" will work for other websites.

Keep in mind about every nine digit VW part number:

1. That the very first digit is what model of VW the part was originally designed for. Lots of type 1 parts on the type 2s, some type 2 and 3 parts were used in the type 1. Other parts are only used on that type of VW and no other.

2. 2nd and 3rd digits are the model the part was originally designed for. Some parts are ONLY for that model. Others were later fitted to all VW models.

3. 4th digit tells you which section/chapter of the parts manual the part is found in.

5. The 5th thru 9th digits are the actual part number.

6. Letter suffix means it is an improved part over the last part without letter suffix, or as each letter ( A, B, C, D, etc.) is used the later letter means some change has been made. Sometimes each later part can be used directly in the same area, some can not without replacing other parts around it.

7. If you know a part is RH or LH ONLY, you can tell by the last digit of the part number which side it goes on. an even digit then the part is RH, odd digit and the part is LH. Easiest way to remember this is that a LH drive VW has to have at least the driver, so one person, which is an odd digit. A VW with one driver and one passenger is two people, so an even digit.

Thank you for this! The plastic broke off in my hand so I don't have a part number but I will look around. Thanks again
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Seatbelt Reply with quote

buggyboyjay wrote:

It's a stock seatbelt, all the components are intact except for the return spring.

VW did make many parts, but do keep in mind that a lot of parts for VWs were made by different manufactures that VW contracted to have parts made to be installed on the factory assembly line. Do check out the "Damage Numbers" manual on that same http://www.oacdp.org/ webpage. Used by dealerships to report failure or damage of parts on a new VW just shipped in. Shows different manufactures by the logo on each part.

More than likely you will have to find good used replacement belt or at least the retraction part to get a part out of.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

buggyboyjay wrote:

Thank you for this! The plastic broke off in my hand so I don't have a part number but I will look around. Thanks again

Glad to help! Also keep in mind if you have no luck with the part number doing WWW searches, that having the proper name of the part is something to try also. Enjoy! Smile
McP4ppy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Could I put dual spring plates on a '74 beetle?
buggyboyjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Im working on a crazy bug accessory project (who isn't).
If your interested look up "Coffee Maker" in forum search. I created a new chat area for my project.
Anyways Ive got a technical question about power and electricity.
How much does the bug pull from the battery?
How much does it Replace from the generator?
And how much juice is left over for other stuff like radios and random projects?

Thanks

--------
BuggyBoyJay
dertherick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Impossible to find a wiring harness for a 77 beetle?

I've been searching everywhere but can only find complete wiring harnesses for other years. Would another year harness be compatible or do I need to go the universal wiring harness route?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dertherick wrote:
Impossible to find a wiring harness for a 77 beetle?

I've been searching everywhere but can only find complete wiring harnesses for other years. Would another year harness be compatible or do I need to go the universal wiring harness route?

Have you contacted Wiring Works to ASK them if they can make one for you??
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here is another link to VW Parts (1302-1303) that includes the 1972 Super Beetles. In these microfiche the Supers are either 1302 (71 and 72) or 1303 (1973+). You will need to figure out where the steering parts are located in the microfiche, find the picture, and then use the number near the picture to find it in the listing. That will get you the part number. Be aware that some parts may change depending on motor number sequence or something else like date of manufacture.

Oh and everything except country names is in German. So you may need to have a screen open in German to whatever language you need. I use this frequently.

Link: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1302-1303/html5.html#/1

Steering begins on section or group 38 page 492.
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eric & Barb:

First get a wiring diagram for a 1977 Beetle and then compare it to previous years to see if anything has changed. I suspect that a 1975 is the same as yours. Then decide if you really need the entire wiring loom or can you fix what you have.

Is your Beetle made for North America? Most of the wiring harnesses you can buy in the USA are for cars built for the North American market. If you have a car built for a different market then you may be able to use an earlier harness. For instance I have a 1972 Super Beetle but it is significantly different from those destined for America and the wiring harness is different because the equipment is different.
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Seat Belts especially Retractable 3-point:

I have a Super Beetle built for the German market and it came with three point retractable seat belts for the front. No seat belts in the rear. The retractable seat belt was not made in Germany but was made in the USA and all the bolts including the ones that hold the belts to the car are SAE not metric.

The manufacturer's tag on the seat belt is dated 1972. It was installed on May10, 1972 by VW in Wolfsburg. I discovered the fastener discrepancy when I replaced the 3-point harness this past year. I thought that was very strange. But that explained why all the new parts fit with all of the old parts.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Seat belt bolts are 7/16 x 20 thread, international agreement.

Like all spark plug threads are metric...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mclumber1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What are the dimensions of the 65-71 rear window glass? I'm going to go check out some used glass, but I'm unsure if it will fit my 68.
mclumber1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mclumber1 wrote:
What are the dimensions of the 65-71 rear window glass? I'm going to go check out some used glass, but I'm unsure if it will fit my 68.

I answered my own question, after referencing my Bentley Manual:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How far apart do you take the late-style throwout bearing* when doing a cleanup/rebuild on it? Brazilian FAG517965C, for reference.
*Like this:

Or the middle one here:

It comes apart differently than the earlier one** in the well-illustrated thread Zundfolge made over in the '58-'67 Bug forum.
**Like this:

So far I have the bearing removed from the main body/shell (after removing the retainer clips***) and the inner-side shield off (it was laying in side the main section after I carefully removed the bearing).
***Like here:

It appears that the pressure-plate side of the bearing can come apart further and give me the access I need to clean-out/refresh the grease, but how?
Is it threaded together, press-fit- or something else?
Not seeing anything relevant in the '68-up stickies or any of my searches.
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stupid question:

I’ve got some sort of black dust that keeps forming all over my engine compartment. It’s been happening for a long time and builds up fairly quickly. My only thought is that it could be shavings from the fan belt, but I see no damage to the belt....? With how much builds up, my fan belt would be nonexistent by now!

Any ideas? If it matters, I’ve got a 1974 standard, manual transmission with stock 1600 DP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 89 of 129

Jump to: